CNBC talking heads warn of up to 60% market correction

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Though the economy has gotten considerably better (at least in the last year or so), the market has been going up a lot longer than that, and in many minds, unjustifiably so. This shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone paying attention to all of this, or to anyone at least hearing the clarion calls for the fall - when is the only question.
Time to put on my "shorts"...... :biggrin:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Two certainties in this world. One, having government juice the market will eventually lead to a crash. Two, the big government crowd will then scream "market failure" and propose a solution of more government intervention to deal with the "ills of capitalism."

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Guy trying to sell his brand of winning the stock market said:
Guy selling something: I think X is going to happen because if you look at A, B, and C then its obvious.
Anchor with no brain: Oh really? That is interesting. What should investors do?
Guy selling something: Well I have created a thing that specifically guards against A, B, and C. You can buy it from me!
Anchor with no brain: Wow thats awesome!
Guy selling something: I KNOW RIGHT!
All that being said, he is just figuring out a way to increase his share of a market that has seen fees erode due to people finally starting to pay attention to how much financial analysts are charging for their guesses. He is doing this by tapping into the unease of people seeing the market do some really crazy things lately. I know a former state economist who can't for the life of him understand where all this optimism is coming from in the market (well besides QE and even then he said it shouldn't account for all the gains based off of the poor performance of the economy and housing markets). Will there be a correction, most definitely, but last time I tried to time the market I missed out on a big chunk of gains I could have had because I thought "There is NO way it will keep going up." Last time I said that was about a month ago figuring that we would never hit 17K. Shows you why I quit playing the stock market :(

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
"David Tice, president of Tice Capital and founder of the Prudent Bear Fund, told CNBC's "Power Lunch." When this happens, he said, markets will face a "period of extreme turmoil."

He's selling.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Though the economy has gotten considerably better (at least in the last year or so), the market has been going up a lot longer than that, and in many minds, unjustifiably so. This shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone paying attention to all of this, or to anyone at least hearing the clarion calls for the fall - when is the only question.
Time to put on my "shorts"...... :biggrin:
92 million not working in June - an all-time record.....

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Position yourself to take advantage of the correction and the bargain prices. You gotta do like Kenny Rogers and "know when to hold'um, know when to fold'um, know when to walk away and know when to run". :biggrin:

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Yeah it is probably time to take some profits. However, every time I hear this I think two things ...

1. So I take it you are shorting.
2. How many times a year do I hear the word "unexpected" when listening to market reports?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Its easier to make money in a down market than an up market. Its hard for a lot of people to do because buying stocks that are going down goes against most people's intuition. And you can obviously short almost any stock during a correction..

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Market timing is extremely difficult to do and even the so called professionals generally fail at it. Everyone knows that eventually there will be a correction but timing them cant be done consistently in the long run.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Its easier to make money in a down market than an up market. Its hard for a lot of people to do because buying stocks that are going down goes against most people's intuition. And you can obviously short almost any stock during a correction..
Yep. It goes against most people's reasoning but a lot of people make a ton of money in down markets. But as you said it goes against most people's intuition so they stay out of the market when it is down.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I rebalanced my 401K and moved a lot of my investments to cash as well
Unless you are going to cash out for good this is flawed reasoning. You can buy more shares of the same stock in a down market and then you will have that much more money when it "corrects" back the other way. If you are only buying stocks when the markets are at all time highs you are buying high and selling high. >>>>>Buy low and sell high..

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
Unless you are going to cash out for good this is flawed reasoning. You can buy more shares of the same stock in a down market and then you will have that much more money when it "corrects" back the other way. If you are only buying stocks when the markets are at all time highs you are buying high and selling high. >>>>>Buy low and sell high..
Not following you Clark?

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.