Game Thread: aTm @ USC

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Wonder if Spurrier still thinks all that golf, and other non-football activities, he played this summer is still worth it. I hope he had fun then cause he sure didn't appear to have any tonight. Hate that for him.
Yea I think the game has passed Steve by. Not just on the field but all the around the clock work off the field. He's to nonchalant about his work ethic. He could get by with it at UF where he had better resources and recruiting base but he can't do that at USC. And he's not going to change..

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
He won State, his Jr year. First game of his Sr year, he ran into Allen, and Allen ran them into the ground. Allen won State that year, and the next year, as well. (Hoping for a 3-peat!)

Allen's QB will be at aTm next year, with at least 2 State championship titles to his credit. Having seen both play, I am more worried about the future.

Hill's dad was a pitcher, for the Rangers. Murray's dad was a QB, for aTm, and one of the best private QB coaches around. Yes, I worry.........especially if they learn to play D.
Hill worries me this year. I think he will be close to unstoppable like JFF last year and it appears they are better up front on D. I know it is only one game but, it appears they are better on defense by far and very well may be as good or better on offense. Easily can be undefeated when they arrive in Tuscaloosa. Regardless, the aTm game may be our toughest challenge all year as the HUNH appears to be Saban's kryptonite. Still think we beat them but, its gonna be another 45-42 type game.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
He won State, his Jr year. First game of his Sr year, he ran into Allen, and Allen ran them into the ground. Allen won State that year, and the next year, as well. (Hoping for a 3-peat!)

Allen's QB will be at aTm next year, with at least 2 State championship titles to his credit. Having seen both play, I am more worried about the future.

Hill's dad was a pitcher, for the Rangers. Murray's dad was a QB, for aTm, and one of the best private QB coaches around. Yes, I worry.........especially if they learn to play D.
Best part for me.....watching an aTm quarterback that you didn't think was a giant douche the whole time

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Hill worries me this year. I think he will be close to unstoppable like JFF last year and it appears they are better up front on D. I know it is only one game but, it appears they are better on defense by far and very well may be as good or better on offense. Easily can be undefeated when they arrive in Tuscaloosa. Regardless, the aTm game may be our toughest challenge all year as the HUNH appears to be Saban's kryptonite. Still think we beat them but, its gonna be another 45-42 type game.
TAMU without Johnny is a pass happy team. Hill had 5 yards rushing tonight. No rushing TDs. Their offense is not better without him. USC just played poorly. They lost a lot on defense and offense and didn't have a 100% Mike Davis.

Good gracious people overreact over 1 game.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Everyone is getting all worked up over one game. They didn't even win the west with Manziel, Evans, and multiple first round picks on the offensive line. They look better than people thought they would be but let's not crown them yet. There is no perspective to put this game in yet. USCe could finish last in the east..

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Hill worries me this year. I think he will be close to unstoppable like JFF last year and it appears they are better up front on D.
I would not go that far. We need to see a few more games before we know if they can run the ball or not. If they can't, SEC DCs will eventually have his number.

I worry more they throw every game, without trying to run, and bust out something different for us.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
TAMU without Johnny is a pass happy team. Hill had 5 yards rushing tonight. No rushing TDs. Their offense is not better without him. USC just played poorly. They lost a lot on defense and offense and didn't have a 100% Mike Davis.

Good gracious people overreact over 1 game.
The offense can be better.... Hill is a better passer than Manziel and he stayed in the pocket and looked for his 2nd and 3rd receiver instead of taking off like JFF. To me the scariest thing about aTm is the only test remaining for them until BAMA is Ole Miss. They can spend time working on us for 7 weeks. I hate playing them in the middle of the season.

miggy402

1st Team
Aug 23, 2009
Waycross, GA
While the offense line looked impressive, that will only take them so far. USCe made a ton of mistakes tonight. In addition, the defense played about as bad as humanly possible. Heck, they would have gotten beat by Kentucky the way they played tonight.

I saw at least 2 dropped TD's, a missed opportunity on the onside kick (kicker should have had it!), intentional grounding, throwing it up for grabs at the end of the 3rd resulting in an INT, etc. As bad as that score looked, it could have easily been a USCe win if they played sound football.

BTW, I saw a huge holding call missed on an aTm WR that would have ended a drive as well.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
While the offense line looked impressive, that will only take them so far. USCe made a ton of mistakes tonight. In addition, the defense played about as bad as humanly possible. Heck, they would have gotten beat by Kentucky the way they played tonight.

I saw at least 2 dropped TD's, a missed opportunity on the onside kick (kicker should have had it!), intentional grounding, throwing it up for grabs at the end of the 3rd resulting in an INT, etc. As bad as that score looked, it could have easily been a USCe win if they played sound football.

BTW, I saw a huge holding call missed on an aTm WR that would have ended a drive as well.
Was thinking the same thing. ZERO pass rush mixed with green cbs was a disaster. I'd hold off on giving Hill the Heisman.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
First off let me say spread teams rarely get called for holding and a lot of times it's obvious especially from the WRs.

Next thing is we can all discount what A&M is doing but I am telling the spread offenses being taught at the HS and collegiate level have QB playing on totally different level than what we have seen historically.

It's simply amazing to me to see that kind of passing accuracy regardless of how good or bad the defense is. Those Aggie receivers by and large caught everything thrown to them. Even as good as we have been the last few years we have never had a passing game operate with that level of efficiency.

Sumlin's teams have no reason to be intimidated on the road because they know they can score. That has always been the key in going on the road is being able to score in someone else's house.

As efficient as they are going 60% or better on 3rd down may still not be good enough to beat them.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
watching this game, even with a weaker defense this year for usc, and a predictable offense without a rush game, I saw the changing of the guard in college football. you take a sophomore, and two or three excellent receivers. a strong off line, and a excellent spread offense that puts pressure on you thru out the game is so much to defend. the confidence young mr. hill showed, his offense not making mistakes, and the defense with another strong recruiting class, playing excellent freshmen has improved on defense is going to be a force to contend with. it looks like from now on texas A@M will continue to be big rival in the west.
this now looks like division like no other in college football

tidefan23

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2004
Hoover, AL
What's with this aTm bashing? Complaining that the QB had no rushing TDs? He's not a rushing QB. I don't recall anyone complaining that AJ didn't have a rushing TD in a game that we easily won. The aTm defense has room to improve, but no doubt they are much better than last year. I think there is some fear in our fans.

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012
I really hope this ends the talk of CSS being a better coach than CNS. I just don't see any team (not the Aggies, the Saints, the Spurs, the Yankees) coming into Bryant-Denny and beating us in that fashion.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.