Link: Alabama starting sims vs wvu

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
Just for fun. What are the odds BS starts every game this year (assuming he stays healthy)?
Not sure, but another way to think about is: what are the odds that we spend time during game week prep to take time away from Blake's preparation to get another guy reps with the 1's. Could be likely for the first couple of weeks, but as the conference schedule cranks up, I think we'll spend as much time as possible with our starter at the helm...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Saban's comments last night come across as the opposite.

Look at the bold statement. That tells me Blake is the man.
I think he wants BS to know that you should play loose and confidently. He doesn't want him to think if he throws an early int that means he lost the job.

However, we all know that CNS's statement isn't a liscense for poor play either. If Sims struggles in this game, Coker will get his chance a little quicker.

Here's the more dicey debate: Suppose Blake Sims struggles in the passing game, but we can move the ball at will running it.

What does CNS/CLK do???

1. Just run it???
2. Let BS throw it to get more comfortable and test him for future play when we'll certainly need to throw it to win?
3. Tell Coker to start warming up?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not sure, but another way to think about is: what are the odds that we spend time during game week prep to take time away from Blake's preparation to get another guy reps with the 1's. Could be likely for the first couple of weeks, but as the conference schedule cranks up, I think we'll spend as much time as possible with our starter at the helm...
It's hard to say, but there is no way CNS is putting all his eggs in one basket this early. For all the confidence he might have in BS right now, it is completely "optimistic" until he does it when the lights come on.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is going to be an issue all season seems like. Blake just can't win no matter how much he wins.
I disagree.

Nobody, including CNS, can say with certainty that BS is the man until he does it on the field in games where he has to make plays to move the chains and win games.

If he starts and plays well for the first 2-3 games and shows what the coaches want, Coker is regulated to the head set for the rest of the year unless BS gets hurt.

But he's got a lot to prove because he hasn't done it yet, just like AJ hadn't done it yet in 2011 early in the year.

I disagree.

Nobody, including CNS, can say with certainty that BS is the man until he does it on the field in games where he has to make plays to move the chains and win games.

If he starts and plays well for the first 2-3 games and shows what the coaches want, Coker is regulated to the head set for the rest of the year unless BS gets hurt.

But he's got a lot to prove because he hasn't done it yet, just like AJ hadn't done it yet in 2011 early in the year.
Oh I agree with you, but that's not what I am talking about. It's goes a little further than that.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm not trying to be anti-Blake at all.

Honestly, if CNS would have named Coker the starter the same thing could/should be said about the uncertain nature of his staying the starter.

The proof is always in the pudding.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It's interesting that Pat White isn't brought up more often. There's a lot of similarities if you consider how both were recruited, the speed, the size... To me, that's the Blake Sims upside. Pat White was never really an NFL caliber quarterback, but he didn't have to be, to be a great college quarterback.

He never really lit it up as a passer either. But, he still accounted for a lot of yards and a lot of touchdowns (more than JPW or GMac ever did for example) and West Virginia went 30-4 in his three years as a starter. If GMac and JPW can lead Alabama to undefeated regular seasons, I think there's no question that Alabama could be a championship contender with Blake Sims as a starter, providing he lives up to his potential.

I still think Coker gets a chance to prove himself sooner or later, but Blake has the potential to be a very good Alabama quarterback.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
This is going to be an issue all season seems like. Blake just can't win no matter how much he wins.
I don't believe that. I believe that winning is the only thing Blake can do to quiet his doubters.
Here's hoping that Blake does a lot of winning and serves a bunch of shut up to everyone that thinks he can't do it. I'd love to see it happen and see Blake etch his name in Alabama football lore!

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Saban's comments last night come across as the opposite.

Look at the bold statement. That tells me Blake is the man.
OK... so why not come out and proclaim him the starter at that point? Why have dual 1st teamers on the depth chart?

"I've decided to name Blake our starter. We think Blake gives us the best option with his leadership and understanding of the playbook. I don't think it's fair to him to have him looking over his shoulder while he is playing. I think there may be some occasion where the other guy deserves an opportunity at some point in time this season to show what he can do. However, right now Blake is our quarterback."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.