What did you learn from the Thursday night games you watched? (My seven things)

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
What I learned is Maybe Clowney occupying 2 to 3 blockers on most plays last year but not making as many highlight plays had a bigger impact than many Gamecock fans thought. USC's DEs were blocked one-on-one all nite...it opened up a lot of things for TAM offense.

The D was terrible and unprepared, won't win 11+ games with that D. Might be a long year.

Conversely, TAM still has a subpar D, but the offense was efficient and smooth.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
What I learned is Maybe Clowney occupying 2 to 3 blockers on most plays last year but not making as many highlight plays had a bigger impact than many Gamecock fans thought. USC's DEs were blocked one-on-one all nite...it opened up a lot of things for TAM offense.

The D was terrible and unprepared, won't win 11+ games with that D. Might be a long year.

Conversely, TAM still has a subpar D, but the offense was efficient and smooth.
I don't know that I agree with this. Cocks lost 3 of 4 Dlineman. they were all important. that was the biggest key. the gamecocks tried to incorporate a 3-4 scheme in the off season, to compensate for the loss. big difference in one gap vs two gap responsibilities.
They played some 4-3 but mostly 3-4 last night. So you have inexperienced lineman with a new scheme , and linebackers changing responsibilities during the game. the players were thinking and reacting and not just playing fast as things were unfamiliar to them. couple that with breaking in two new DB's. all that adds up to disaster against tamu. they will get better, and few teams will make them pay as bad as tamu. Plus, Davis should get healthy which should help the D.

back away from the ledge gamecocks.

Last edited:

pyro

Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
Winchester TN
That Kevin Sumlin is a better coach than some want to credit. Johnny football got all the attention, but Sumlin knows his offense. I wonder how long he will stay there with the Aggies.
He will be coaching in the NFL this time next year.

Things I learned.
1.That was just terrible Vandy...
2.apperently every qb at A@M gets the last name football now
3. Im ready to see Bama play
4.I still love cheerleaders

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
1. Johnny aside from his athletic ability was a product of the system (not a bad thing)
2. South Carolina missing Clowney
3. Vandy is back to being Vandy
4. Bo Wallace is too overrated
5. A&M got some nice WRs
6. Ole Miss defense can hit
7. Maria Taylor is bae

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
I don't know that I agree with this. Cocks lost 3 of 4 Dlineman. they were all important. that was the biggest key. the gamecocks tried to incorporate a 3-4 scheme in the off season, to compensate for the loss. big difference in one gap vs two gap responsibilities.
They played some 4-3 but mostly 3-4 last night. So you have inexperienced lineman with a new scheme , and linebackers changing responsibilities during the game. the players were thinking and reacting and not just playing fast as things were unfamiliar to them. couple that with breaking in two new DB's. all that adds up to disaster against tamu. they will get better, and few teams will make them pay as bad as tamu. Plus, Davis should get healthy which should help the D.

back away from the ledge gamecocks.
Thanks, good analysis, and after a day I agree with the ledge comment. I can live with the LB mistakes from the new scheme and the secondary mistakes from the freshmen DBs, but regardless of scheme and position, the DL was absolutely manhandled most of the nite. Hopefully some of this ends up being ATM is better than expected.

On offense I have less concerns than many Gamecock fans. ATM loaded the box most of the game, played physical, tight coverage (lotta man the first half), and gave up big plays and multiple PI penalties. O didn't play great, but problems I saw on that side of ball are fixable. The DL getting physically whipped will be harder to correct.

And I am more impressed with Sumlin after seeing ATM live.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
1. Pre-Season rankings need to be done away with
2. Steve Spurrier needs to spend more time coaching his team than behind a microphone making snide remarks about the opponent.
3. Ole Mist won't win the west or be anywhere near the top of it.
4. Bo Wallace is overrated.
5. Boise St is on the decline.
6. Vanderbilt is in trouble.
7. aTm's offense is still going to be potent.
8. aTm's defense is still going to be bad.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
3.Ole Miss is once again a national power.(This info relayed by Ole Miss fans at the gym this morning)
sip
Hey, they finally got to play in Atlanta!! (it had been 40 years since they've played in Atlanta) So what if it wasn't for the SEC Championship; and so what if it wasn't even the marquee Chik-fil-A Kickoff Classic (Bama vs WV). LOL.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Hey, they finally got to play in Atlanta!! (it had been 40 years since they've played in Atlanta) So what if it wasn't for the SEC Championship; and so what if it wasn't even the marquee Chik-fil-A Kickoff Classic (Bama vs WV). LOL.
I hope they took a bunch of photos so they can show their grand kids about "their one trip" to Atlanta :)

bamaabw

Suspended
Dec 9, 2013
I learned:

1. So. Caro has ZERO running game
2. a$m defense is not good
3. If So. Carolina had a balanced offense, they probably would have had 600+ total yards and been in game
4. Any team that has any type of running game (Bama, barn, LSU - (Fournette) that plays a$m will beat them
5. So. Carolina needs a new conditioning coach
6. The new College Gameday introduction song SUCKS
7. Jamis Winston is still a RAPIST and THIEF

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Call me crazy, but I just don't believe in the K. Hill hype. I just believe Cocky was just that, COCKY and got the doors blown off of it.
Are you serious? Dude looked like a 5 year senior. Throwing dimes and no bad throws, no miss reads, no errant passes, he was in total control. Much more so than Johnny manzel ever was. Doing what he did Thurs would still have been impressive against a DII school.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I don't understand the sentiment that 'Kevin Sumlin is a better coach than we thought'. Who didn't think Kevin Sumlin was a really good coach? I knew the man could flat out get it done!

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.