What did you learn from the Thursday night games you watched? (My seven things)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
1. Ole Miss is Ole Myth
2. Vandy is "anchor down" with emphasis on "down."
3. USCe and CSS looked out of touch with reality.
4. TAMU looked suprisingly ready for post Johnny Football.
5. Coach Kevin Sumlin has grown on me big time!
6. Coach Mason may be in over his head.
7. I'm ready for some Bama football!!!:biga:

I learned to once again stop listening to talking heads and go with my original thoughts.
USCe is as bad as I thought they would be.
USCe needs not only Clowney, but Quarles as well.
Vandy again is at cellar dweller status.
Ole Miss is who we thought they were.
A&M is going to be a challenge, but not one that we can't overcome.

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al
I'm already sick of hearing Bo Wallace's name just like I was with Tebow. I'm sorry I just don't see all the hype on him or on Ole Miss for that matter. Vandy is Vandy what else can be said. South Carolina just stunk it up last night and aTm is a surprise to me.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I learned that, unless his performance was a fluke, Kenny Hill is legit.

And if usc is the best in the East, that side of the conference is worse and weaker than I thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
I learned that Texas A&M has an excellent QB, great skill players, and a great offensive line. They will be tough to beat.
Unfortunately, the trend continues where good defensive football may be a thing of the past. Let's hope Bama has a great defense in 2014.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
I'm still glad the SOS to Bama rumors were all false
as much as I try to like or respect aTm I just can't... yet
Bo Wallace.. UGH!!!!
Vandy is terrrrrrrrrible
SECN has a weird tint

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I learned that Ole Miss and A&M averaged 89 plays. 89 plays a game would have been the third fastest offense in the FBS last season.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I learned the refs still do not try nearly as hard as they should to control the line set before allowing the ball to be snapped. Gus had to be very pleased watching both aTm/USCe and BS/OleSis games.

For me, the verdict is still out there -> was it "Kenny football" vs a good SC defense (likely not entirely) or "Any football" vs SC's lousy defense? I think the latter. *sorry should have added that Kenny definitely is going to be a very good QB -- it's just hard to heap too much praise when I've not seen him carve up an elite defense just yet.

Bo Wallace is still a joke. And.... without Coach Peterson, there is no Boise State.

Vandy really should not be in the SEC anymore.

My two cents.

Last edited:

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I learned L.Ward better sock some money in savings. Vandy learned how gimmicky motivation works, and aTm has a good offensive line but looked better than they actually are. Defense is better but not very good, and QB faced no pressure.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I learned that:
first games of the season typically surprise
that I really don't know how good A&M is
that I really don't know how bad SC is
that I do know ol spit is still ol spit
that vandy has work to do to keep from going winless
that blue ponies are still kinda odd
that I'm glad tomorrow is almost here

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Don't overvalue the A&M win....in either direction....
Rookie QBs have a habit of being tremendously erratic......

On the flip side -- has LSU slipped to 4th best in the west?

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I learned that the HBC probably should have worried more about his team than about Nick Saban
Vandy is realizing just. how. good. James Franklin was for their program (as if they didn't already know)
Ole Miss still isn't ready for prime time
The SEC West is going to be double-tough this season
If aTm plays like this for the entire season, Kevin Sumlin will officially be the hottest coach in football (notice I didn't say best)

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I love the ole ball coach but was glad to see him get thumped after the smug comments made in the offseason. TAMU is lethal on offense, improved on defense and looks like our most dangerous opponent on the schedule.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
Hill looked real good throwing against air. USC better switch back to the 43. no pass rush and most big completions came on crossing routes and the wr broke a tackle or two. I do know that having Brown and little Hump means that the Bama D at least has some speed on the back end. I just hope the D line is everything we hope it is going to be. aTm faced NO pass rush last night.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I learned that playing A&M first game of the season after losing a ton of defensive talent and switching defensive schemes is not good . Also that the media's ignorance knows no bounds. I guess only the fans knew before last night that Kevin Sumlin is a really good coach and it wasn't all Johnny football. I also learned that TAMU's young receivers may be really good.

I learned that Vandy will really miss Franklins Passion, drive and motivation. Vandy really needs a firestarter. It will be easy for the 'Dores to slide off the mountainside.

I learned the ACC is really bad, WF got beat by ULM, although ULM tried their best to give the game away.

I learned that the hype, buildup, and anticipation for the start of the season on Thursday night and launch of SECN live programming was largely anticlimactic and disappointing.

I learned thursday that the right man was chosen as starting QB for Alabama but mostly I learned that I cant wait for Saturday....Roll Tide

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
1. Sumlin can flat out coach
2. Vandy has survived the years of being fairly good and can now comfortably return to the bottom of the SEC East. (Sad, because I really like Vandy a lot).
3.Ole Miss is once again a national power.(This info relayed by Ole Miss fans at the gym this morning)
4. Boise without Chris Peterson is not Boise with Chris Peterson.
5. Spurrier did not have USC ready to play. It happens. They are not going to be as bad as they looked last night. Look for a big rebound in game two.
6. I absolutely love the SEC Network
7. There's nothing quite like the start of football season.
sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.