Nick Saban requests 'patience' with Alabama offense while explaining how Tide scripts

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Heard coach discuss this last night. This got me excited about the offense...

Before that, Saban went through their thought process as far as scripting its offensive plays. That process is evolving under new coordinator Lane Kiffin.

"We usually scripted eight to 10 plays to start the game," Saban said. "That does not count special situations such as short yardage or third down. So this is just the script we want to run. It's the way we practiced it. The players know what to expect and we've done the same thing this year, but, you know with Lane, he likes to do more plays than that.

"He's got about 15 that he wants to run and I think that's a good thing because it gives you a menu of things that you are presenting to the defense that're different that they have to adjust to so there's more multiples rather than getting into doing the same things from the same formations, which I think at times, has been a little bit of an issue with us."

That led Saban to explain one of the differences in Alabama's offensive scheme under Kiffin. It might not be as apparent to the casual viewer unless you're paying close attention.

"I think the biggest thing that's different in our offense, if we can get it executed by our quarterbacks by recognition, is we have a lot of built in run-pass deals, which aight, I hate negative plays," Saban said. "I hate running bad plays. ... I hate it on offense that we're not smart enough or don't have it planned well enough that when we know something is going give us a bad play and we can't get out of the play for whatever reason or do something to not make it a negative play."

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
It would be nice to see more plays. That was one of my biggest complaints about Nuss. Our offense was pretty good because we had the talent to execute a lot of the same plays over and over, but there times when you need plays they haven't seen on film or wrinkles to change things up. With the talent we have, we need to make the defense defend the whole field at times.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.