Dept of Justice gives away BoA settlement to liberal activist groups

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
They are busy. They're digging up Bush 43 quotes from ten years ago that everyone needs to be reminded of.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
From nasdaq.com: http://www.nasdaq.com/article/4-winners-in-the-big-bank-of-america-corp-settlement-cm385758

Pertinent details
nasdaq.com said:
As part of the consumer aid portion of the accord, B of A will get credit for making loans to low to moderate income borrowers, as well as cleaning up neighborhoods where neglected properties mired in the foreclosure process have blighted the surrounding area. Donations to non-profits that assist in these activities will be credited toward the required amount of relief contained in the settlement.

Two groups in particular that are likely to reap a windfall are NeighborWorks America, an affordable housing advocacy group, and the Interest on Lawyers' Trust Account organization, a legal-aid group for low-income persons. While NeighborWorks may only receive funds if B of A doesn't satisfy its contractual obligations regarding consumer relief by August 2018, IOLTA, which has offices across the U.S., and other legal-aid organizations, are scheduled to receive at least $30 million from the bank, with each jurisdiction to get at least $200,000.

B of A has four years in which to implement the consumer relief portion of the pact. In many ways, the most expensive settlement in U.S. banking history just might turn out to be better than expected for Bank of America.
The article linked in the original post actually does a bit of stretching with the truth regarding just how money is going to be "doled" out but I digress. Facts aren't always important when frothing at the mouth.

I saw the phrase redistribution of wealth thrown about a bit. Why is it redistribution of wealth when a company(or recently acquired company) that preyed upon borrowers, investors and little old ladies is slapped with a relatively inconsequential lawsuit to meekly try and help those that were financially hurt? It apparently wasn't redistribution of wealth when they were cooking up the schemes and books to get rich and million dollar bonuses off of those people who took out mortgages or invested in junk securities.

I guess the moral of the story is that its only redistribution of wealth if its poor people who are getting the money.

(This is an aside to the whole political activist groups getting a possible bunch of cash if BoA doesn't do what it says it was going to do. If you actually read it, it would seem that people are upset that if BoA doesn't fulfill their side of the settlement, the poor people, the ones this is supposed to help who likely wouldn't have money for legal aid, shouldn't be able to get legal aid to take BoA to court. Seriously, cranky over 30M guaranteed if a company doesn't stick to the bargain. 30,000,000/16,000,000,000. You are up in arms over a company that isn't exactly a shining example of business ethics possibly being required to pay 2/10ths of a percent of the settlement if they don't uphold their end of the bargain?)

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
The issue is not that there are penalties for misbehavior, it is that the beneficiaries are so clearly and exclusively the political bedfellows of the administration.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
The issue is not that there are penalties for misbehavior, it is that the beneficiaries are so clearly and exclusively the political bedfellows of the administration.
Fair enough. When you compile a list of Republican organizations that exist to help poor people sue banks I'll be glad to think this is purely partisan.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

I guess the moral of the story is that its only redistribution of wealth if its poor people who are getting the money.

Well yeah, that is the original whole point.

Some quotes:

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it."- Thomas Jefferson

"
The government of the United States is a definite government, confined to specified objects. It is not like the state governments, whose powers are more general. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government." - James Madison

That said, IMO this particular episode has more to do with the problem of big government being inherently corrupt verses the historical problem of wealth redistribution.

Last edited:

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Well yeah, that is the original whole point.

Some quotes:

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it."- Thomas Jefferson
"
The government of the United States is a definite government, confined to specified objects. It is not like the state governments, whose powers are more general. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government." - James Madison

That said, IMO this particular episode has more to do with the problem of big government being inherently corrupt verses the historical problem of wealth redistribution.
I originally thought this had to be a mistake, but didn't see the blue font to indicate sarcasm.

Did you really just equate the fraud and shady lending/misrepresentation of risk in the mortgage based securities industry with " the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it?" If so our conversation really has no possible basis upon which we can continue because you think that lying and stealing is a perfectly defensible means by which to make a living.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I originally thought this had to be a mistake, but didn't see the blue font to indicate sarcasm.

Did you really just equate the fraud and shady lending/misrepresentation of risk in the mortgage based securities industry with " the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it?" If so our conversation really has no possible basis upon which we can continue because you think that lying and stealing is a perfectly defensible means by which to make a living.
It works for Obama's cronies.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

No, you missed my point. I guess it was poorly phrased on my part. I will try again.

The problem with wealth distribution is about whether the government should be in the business of taking income or anything else from one and giving to another for any reason. IMO opinion the statement you made (whether or not you were just being snarky) is actually accurate. Those of us who believe it is not the business of government to do charity (and in fact are very inefficient at it when they get involved) believe just that.

Fraud, lying and stealing is not a perfectly defensible means to make a living. Stopping this is a proper role of government.

IMO neither of these have anything to do with the issue in the article. It is all cronyism and corruption. It has been from the start of the issue with the government getting involved in Freddie and Fanny with the bad loans, through the bailouts and right up until this episode.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
It's kinda like the government taking money from Bernie Maddoff and redistributing it to the people he stole it from. Unfortunately, unlike Bernie , none of the bankers have gone to jail.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.