****Bama vs. WVU - Postgame Thread****

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
Blake was as good on the short passes as we could've hoped. He makes good decisions. He needs to use his legs more. He cannot throw it accurately on the run. We won't have a deep threat, will have to make due without it. Yeldon is a beautiful swan. DL not getting the pressure they could be. DBs show poor fundamentals when playing the ball. Defense does not tackle or hit as well as we need them to.
I felt like Blake tried to be a passer first and only ran when the play broke down. In the future I hope we see more freedom to run from the position.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
WVU had some untimely drops/bad passes. It could have been a lot closer. The D got better as the game went on.

Going forward :

I'd like to see more designed QB runs.

OJ needs the ball more. The one pass his way was picked bc Blake predetermined where the ball was going.

Eddie Jackson, Brown and Humphrey need to be in the game more. Bless Sylve's heart.

The O Line looked good and should only
get better. The few mistakes in pass protection were covered up by Blake's mobility.

I hope DeAndrew is back by the Ole Miss game.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Sims set the bar pretty high and I'm happy for him, But I think it can be topped by Coker but he's going to have to be close to great. I feel like Blake can get the job done if Jacob doesnt though

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
I think if you really look at it the defense didn't play that bad. WV only had 50 yards rushing and Trickett threw the ball 45 times. I think the defense is still learning how to play these type teams. I see improvement overall. Granted our corners kind of got worked but they will get better plus the Big WV receiver was a mismatch for our smaller corners.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We have got to use the WRs farther than 10 yards down the field, defenses will stop respecting any deep threat and the short stuff will only get tougher. We'd best have it fixed before the Gators come to town...
Sims was 1:5 on passes > 15 yards - two of which were perfect passes uncharacteristically dropped by CJones. If he were 3:5, he would have had a TD on one of them and no one would be complaining.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Look for Tony Brown to make a move this week. Trey DePriest hurt the defense by being out. Offensive line will get better as the season goes on.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
We've got a very good QB who will just get better. I'm not sure if GMc had a better first game or not.
Both RB's got over 100 yards
We had one receiver who got 130 yards
We could have another receiver come close to 100 but had an unfortunate injury.
We have a very very good kicker and punter!
Our defense held a good HUNH offense to 16 points (We gained 538 yards to their 393).
You can bet the defense will get better.

What's there to be sad about really? I think we have a full team. RTR!!!

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
College football has changed guys. The Bama D looked at 5 wide all day. They broke the RB's out wide over and over. The DB's have to play better, but we days of 125 passing yards against Bama are over. I didn't feel the HUNH was an issue today. It was just the spread and trying to cover what often seemed like 8 people running routes, and dear Lord can Slyve please turn his head once and look for the ball. I would not be surprised to see Brown out there next week.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
We have got to use the WRs farther than 10 yards down the field
You mean the dropped pass on what was what, a 60 yard throw?

And our kicking game looked great.
I was quite impressed. AG seems to have calmed down (his range is clearly very good), and JK was as advertised (50 yard average). If Alabama's defense can return to classic form, we won't need that much offense if the kicking game plays like that.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Nick Perry was a bright spot in the defensive backfield. Collins played fine too. But, yeah, our pass defense was not strong at all. We didn't get pressure on the QB, we didn't lock down the WRs...
I can nitpick the offense, but overall, very strong. Blake exceeded my expectations - he overcame his INT, he didn't seem to get rattled, and overall he made good throws. Three passes in the whole game stand out as "bad passes." He threw it downfield and had a good one to Jones that was dropped.
And, yo. JK Scott killed it on his punt. Griffith was great too.

on a scale of 1-10, I'll go...
Offense: 8.5
Defense: 5
Special Teams: 7

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
For comparison:
Blake Sims' first game (West Virginia): 24-33, 250, 0 TD, 1 INT (130.3 QBR)
AJ McCarron's first game (Kent State): 14-23, 226, 1 TD, 2 INT (82.4 QBR)
Greg McElroy's first game (Virginia Tech): 15-30, 230, 1 TD, 1 INT (58.8 QBR)

Anyone still wanna complain about Blake Sims?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.