****Bama vs. WVU - Postgame Thread****

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think the problem is that the 2012 team that had a bunch of returning starters coming off a title - and that plowed Michigan, 41-14 - set the bar of expectation so high that anything short of that is disappointment.

1) It was the first game of the season. I'd rather be a tad bit rusty and make mistakes now that are corrected than play awesome into October and lose to someone we should beat because of our own stupidity.

2) Kudos to Blake Sims - the most important thing to me was his response AFTER the pick. The D bailed him out and he led a great drive.

3) Guys probably a tad bit gunshy - the returning players - after ending with two losses. And playing another HUNH. The defense only gave up ONE TOUCHDOWN to a HUNH team that was in the red zone most of their possessions. Made them settle for field goals and won the game.

4) Kudos to Adam Griffith. If any evidence were necessary that he has shaken off the Auburn kick return, we got it today.

I would remind you all of something: in 2009, we were coming off a great season that ended with consecutive losses. Brandon Deatrick got shot just a few days before the game. We were breaking in a new quarterback.

And we trailed that game entering the fourth quarter.

None of us would mind the year ending up the same way.

Work to do across the middle, the secondary. O-line will improve (it was better than last year's opener, which we won by an easier margin).

Special teams? Good Lord. Well, kick returns anyway.

Tidefan1

Scout Team
Aug 21, 2013
Gonna have to give Humphrey and Brown a shot at starting if we're going to win any kind of championship this year. Corner is our one glaring deficiency right now.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm marking two areas of concern off my list. Kicking game looks like is going to be fine. Also I think the o-line played pretty well. It's a W and I'll take it! RTR!

Gonna have to give Humphrey and Brown a shot at starting if we're going to win any kind of championship this year. Corner is our one glaring deficiency right now.
I doubt that. It's the first game and we made mistake that we aren't accustomed to. They are correctable. WVU was ready for us and I think Bama believed the hype. We will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
For comparison:
Blake Sims' first game (West Virginia): 24-33, 250, 0 TD, 1 INT (130.3 QBR)
AJ McCarron's first game (Kent State): 14-23, 226, 1 TD, 2 INT (82.4 QBR)
Greg McElroy's first game (Virginia Tech): 15-30, 230, 1 TD, 1 INT (58.8 QBR)

Anyone still wanna complain about Blake Sims?
You forgot to include John David Phillips' stats. ;)

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I agree. I'd rather see us get burnt with Brown and Humphrey than two older kids who make the same mistakes. Sylve was horrid.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
LOL, I've never seen so many folks upset after a season-opening win in my life.

It's hilarious - offense scores 33, defense allows only 16 (only 1 TD) to a team coached by what many consider to be one of the offensive geniuses in the game, and people are complaining. Sims sets a record (and plays better than the past two new starters - both of which who led us to NCs their first year) and people complain.

Yah, the secondary needs some work, as do the LBers, but man...

It blows my mind.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
LOL, I've never seen so many folks upset after a season-opening win in my life.

It's hilarious - offense scores 33, defense allows only 16 (only 1 TD) to a team coached by what many consider to be one of the offensive geniuses in the game, and people are complaining. Sims sets a record (and plays better than the past two new starters - both of which who led us to NCs their first year) and people complain.

It blows my mind.
dude looks like gene wilder as willy wonka.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.