****Bama vs. WVU - Postgame Thread****

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
I'm proud of the boys for a great win. I thought Blake looked great for his first start. I was a little PO'd that once we had a 10 pt lead mid to late third, that we didn't try to start knocking their teeth out with the run. We were snapping plays with 20 or more seconds on the play clock with the clock running.......if we had milked the clock, WV wouldn't have had that last chance to score. Kiffen hasn't impressed me yet with play calling-execution-and clock management IMHO...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Gonna have to give Humphrey and Brown a shot at starting if we're going to win any kind of championship this year. Corner is our one glaring deficiency right now.
Without question. Cyrus and Bradley were recruited as wide receivers, and that's what they are.
They can't cover.
It would help if our defensive line actually rushed the passer, but it looks like our defense is designed to catch the blocks and react, rather than attack.
I'm never going to understand that. Why play it so safe when you supposedly have superior athletes?
Today I was impressed by the new punter, Adam Griffith, T.J., and the offensive line.
Those big guys did pretty good.
Other than that we looked pretty darn average. For the record, I thought the defense absolutely stunk.
I found myself hoping that West Virginia would screw up rather than knowing we'd stop them.
Fortunately, they did.
It's a first game, but I've never seen a team with so far to go in the Saban era.
We're not good, and we're a long way from it.
sip

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I'm not so sure about that. His doubters will argue that Sims has a limited upside. In fairness to them, Sims was inaccurate on the long balls and his one bomb (the drop by Christion Jones) was realllly floated in there.

But the problem with the doubters is that they want another McCarron and there just isn't one on the team right now. If there were, he'd be playing. Sims is our best bet. He did make some key throws on third down and led the team to 33 points. Aside from the interception thrown into double coverage, I was impressed with his decisions. We'll be fine.
As one of those doubters, I was concerned about what I saw today. I didn't see great accuracy out of Blake, especially on the deep balls. Christion dropped that one ball, but he had to wait forever for that pass to drop. Blake threw into double coverage on the INT and on the pass that got a pass interference call down the right sideline. He missed on a few short crossing routes, including on the first possession on a pass intended for Amari that would have been a big play. That miss forced the FG try.

He managed the game well, but that was it. I am concerned that play like today will get us beat against A&M and the barn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
LOL, I've never seen so many folks upset after a season-opening win in my life.

It's hilarious - offense scores 33, defense allows only 16 (only 1 TD) to a team coached by what many consider to be one of the offensive geniuses in the game, and people are complaining. Sims sets a record (and plays better than the past two new starters - both of which who led us to NCs their first year) and people complain.

Yah, the secondary needs some work, as do the LBers, but man...

It blows my mind.
I understand it because so MANY people thought we were going to win this game going away by 4-5 TD's. I've said many times all week that I thought it would be tight and a 14-17 point win tops. People are stunned because they were severely wrong is the crux of it.

I thought the Offense looks VERY good with playcalling in general, the running, Blake Sims composure and efficiency, WR's making YAC, JK Scotts punting and AG's placekicking.

That said the defense STUNK and there's no way to sugarcoat that. We stopped the run better in the 2nd half but they threw the ball on us at will for 365 yrds. WV had all kinds of drops as well and CB's were not even remotely looking for the ball. The D-Line and front seven in general was disappointing as well. CNS called them 'soft'....and they were. We have TONS to improve on Defensively.

So there was Good and there was Bad. I'm just glad we won and hopefully Brown, Jackson, or Hump can replace Sylve.

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
I haven't read every page of this thread and someone may have already pointed this out but let's not underestimate the negative impact the absence of DePriest had on the defense...we missed his leadership out there today IMO... RTR

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
lol, i've never seen so many folks upset after a season-opening win in my life.

It's hilarious - offense scores 33, defense allows only 16 (only 1 td) to a team coached by what many consider to be one of the offensive geniuses in the game, and people are complaining. Sims sets a record (and plays better than the past two new starters - both of which who led us to ncs their first year) and people complain.

Yah, the secondary needs some work, as do the lbers, but man...

It blows my mind.
preach it!!!!

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
LOL, I've never seen so many folks upset after a season-opening win in my life.

It's hilarious - offense scores 33, defense allows only 16 (only 1 TD) to a team coached by what many consider to be one of the offensive geniuses in the game, and people are complaining. Sims sets a record (and plays better than the past two new starters - both of which who led us to NCs their first year) and people complain.

Yah, the secondary needs some work, as do the LBers, but man...

It blows my mind.
Our fanbase is Sabanized! -lol

Seriously though, I totally agree. We certainly have things to work on, but there is a lot build on. The biggest thing that jumps out at me was going 9/16 on 3rd down, and besides the ill advised draw play and the fade pass on 2nd and 2 (still want to kick him in the nads for that one), Kiffin called a good game. The offense did not look near as vanilla as we've seen over the past 2 years.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Without question. Cyrus and Bradley were recruited as wide receivers, and that's what they are.
They can't cover.
It would help if our defensive line actually rushed the passer, but it looks like our defense is designed to catch the blocks and react, rather than attack.
I'm never going to understand that. Why play it so safe when you supposedly have superior athletes?
Today I was impressed by the new punter, Adam Griffith, T.J., and the offensive line.
Other than that we looked pretty darn average. For the record, I thought the defense absolutely stunk.
I found myself hoping that West Virginia would screw up rather than knowing we'd stop them.
Fortunately, they did.
It's a first game, but I've never seen a team with so far to go in the Saban era.
sip
Well... I think West Virginia might be better than what we thought offensively and the defense was truly missing depriest, but the good news is we have two games before gator season to improve and outside of aTm's offense no one has looked very good, but it's the 1st week of the season

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Was his 2nd towards the end cuda? Storms killed me on DirecTv at the end of the game so I missed like the last 4 minutes or more.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I agree with you. WVU had 365 yards in the air and it could have been much worse. Bama is getting gashed. People were more wide open than I can remember'. Perry was great on the run but not good on the pass. Pass rush not there; bad combination. Not saying Bama isn't a good team, just expecting to be great and not there, no way.
They can't cover.
Fortunately, they did.
sip

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I haven't read every page of this thread and someone may have already pointed this out but let's not underestimate the negative impact the absence of DePriest had on the defense...we missed his leadership out there today IMO... RTR

You might not want to read every page. ;)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Defense gave up 28 yards rushing to West Virginia.

That is a good thing.
I understand it because so MANY people thought we were going to win this game going away by 4-5 TD's. I've said many times all week that I thought it would be tight and a 14-17 point win tops. People are stunned because they were severely wrong is the crux of it.

I thought the Offense looks VERY good with playcalling in general, the running, Blake Sims composure and efficiency, WR's making YAC, JK Scotts punting and AG's placekicking.

That said the defense STUNK and there's no way to sugarcoat that. We stopped the run better in the 2nd half but they threw the ball on us at will for 365 yrds. WV had all kinds of drops as well and CB's were not even remotely looking for the ball. The D-Line and front seven in general was disappointing as well. CNS called them 'soft'....and they were. We have TONS to improve on Defensively.

So there was Good and there was Bad. I'm just glad we won and hopefully Brown, Jackson, or Hump can replace Sylve.
I agree that most posters on here are somewhat delusional with their expectations, just look at the predictions thread. It is this way almost every game. Those who post a close game are criticized and referred to as "negative posters", some things never change.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yep that's how I missed the 2nd punt then. Just looked up his stats and he still averaged 50 per punt. Nice job on his first outing. Griffith was solid too.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
They can't cover.
Fortunately, they did.
sip
I agree, Sip, though I would add last year's team had just as far to go.

Our front seven is not as aggressive as they could be because of the way they're coached. We have the best athletes there in the nation and it's really not close, but you wouldn't know it by watching them play. At some point I wish CNS would just let great athletes be great athletes. I think he's going to have to minimize the cerebral aspects of his approach if he's going to duplicate the success of the first half of his career at Bama.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Wow, So many people upset over a win... I look at this in a positive way... WE know what areas we need to improve and Let me tell you something.. I actually thought Cyrus Jones and Slyve held their own for the most part, and They have done more goods than bad, but definitely need to work on few things.. I can see them improving as the season progress on. Do not place the blame on those guys completely. WE had missed tackles, WE had poor rush by DL, and LInebackers weren't doing their job properly. I wasn't so excited about our offense. Our WRs dropping balls.. Sims throwing bad passes... two of his passes were low and if it had been thrown right, There would've been big plays. I saw so much potential in our team tonight that I feel better about where we are as a team, and I know we can improve... WE will be okay. Stop whining and take the W!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.