****Bama vs. WVU - Postgame Thread****

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I wish everyone would just enjoy the win... None of us are a coach, and If you watch the replay of the game, you'll see some things that stood out to me, andit wasn'talways their fault.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I agree, Sip, though I would add last year's team had just as far to go.

Our front seven is not as aggressive as they could be because of the way they're coached. We have the best athletes there in the nation and it's really not close, but you wouldn't know it by watching them play. At some point I wish CNS would just let great athletes be great athletes. I think he's going to have to minimize the cerebral aspects of his approach if he's going to duplicate the success of the first half of his career at Bama.
yep...take the reigns off and let em play.....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I agree, Sip, though I would add last year's team had just as far to go.

Our front seven is not as aggressive as they could be because of the way they're coached. We have the best athletes there in the nation and it's really not close, but you wouldn't know it by watching them play. At some point I wish CNS would just let great athletes be great athletes. I think he's going to have to minimize the cerebral aspects of his approach if he's going to duplicate the success of the first half of his career at Bama.
But also you have to add trickett was on fire and made very quick and smart decisions.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Without question. Cyrus and Bradley were recruited as wide receivers, and that's what they are.
They can't cover.
It would help if our defensive line actually rushed the passer, but it looks like our defense is designed to catch the blocks and react, rather than attack.
I'm never going to understand that. Why play it so safe when you supposedly have superior athletes?
Today I was impressed by the new punter, Adam Griffith, T.J., and the offensive line.
Those big guys did pretty good.
Other than that we looked pretty darn average. For the record, I thought the defense absolutely stunk.
I found myself hoping that West Virginia would screw up rather than knowing we'd stop them.
Fortunately, they did.
It's a first game, but I've never seen a team with so far to go in the Saban era.
We're not good, and we're a long way from it.
sip
Best assessment that I've read. Georgia and TAMU look to be the best in the conference to me at this point in time.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Just a reminder, in the first game last year, AJ was 10/23 with 1 TD and 1 INT against a team that was a 7-6 ACC team the year before. I believe the offense managed only 14 points.

I'm not sure how you can really look at this situation, given a first time starter at QB and a new offensive coordinator and really be more concerned than you were after that game last year.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Very pleased with Sims and the offense. Yes, would like to see the passing game go more vertical, but I remember at least 3 times that Sims looked long, then checked down. Don't know if they were covered, or if he just wasn't comfortable, but whatever the case, he made safe throws. I REALLY wanna see more Howard, too. I fully expected to see him used as Sims' safety valve.

Still shaking my head about the defense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Someone recently said here that Sylve didn't look like a WR playing CB anymore... Have to disagree.
I think RTO was referencing Cyrus when he made that comment, not Bradley.

Yup more games mean more opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not what CrimsonForce was meaning. He was saying we aren't going to see the defensive slugfests we saw 10 years ago. We are going to give up some points because of the offensive strategies.

My take on the game:

1. We ran 82 plays but held WVU to 69. Who would have expected that?
2. DL didn't get much pressure on Trickett, but Holgo made sure of that by calling quick passes.
3. The OL did well. Not sure about Leon's holding calls.
4. Blake played well. As others have said, folks wouldn't criticize if Christion makes that catch. Want to say he had to wait on the ball? Cool. AJ made WRs wait on passes, too.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
But also you have to add trickett was on fire and made very quick and smart decisions.
We've played more QB's that are "on fire" over the past five seasons than anyone else. It's time to quit using that excuse. Period. A lot of QBs look good when you give them all day to throw and you've got DBs that don't turn around. Seriously though, we've got to drop that "but such-and-such QB played the game of his life" excuse. Our problems on defense had a lot to do with the plethora of QBs who've played "the game of their life" against us in the past four seasons.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I walked away from the game today with much the same feeling as the win over VA Tech last year. The big difference is I had full faith in McCarron and I don't in Sims. I actually thought he played ok. He made several nice throws and had some good escapes, but obviously had a few bad throws. The real concern I have is how will he perform against the likes of Florida and Ole Miss, much less the likes of A&M, LSU and Auburn.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We've played more QB's that are "on fire" over the past five seasons than anyone else. It's time to quit using that excuse. Period. A lot of QBs look good when you give them all day to throw and you've got DBs that don't turn around. Seriously though, we've got to drop that "but such-and-such QB played the game of his life" excuse. Our problems on defense had a lot to do with the plethora of QBs who've played "the game of their life" against us in the past four seasons.
So you just want to completely ignore the stats to suggest that? Cool.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I walked away from the game today with much the same feeling as the win over VA Tech last year. The big difference is I had full faith in McCarron and I don't in Sims
Here's the thing though, in terms of tangibles, there were so many more reasons to be worried about the VT game last year. Sure, I guess we think about VT as being better, but they were 7-6 the year before in a conference full of basketball schools.

Alabama had 206 yards, VT had 212 yards. Alabama's offense had 14 points, VT's offense had 10.

This game? Alabama had 538 yards, West Virginia had 393. Alabama's offense had 33 points, West Virginia's offense had 16.

The relevant statistics were obscured by the kick return touchdowns, and that score on defense. You add those to this game, and it's 54-23 and people would feel a lot different, right? The truth is, simply based on results, there's more reasons to feel good about this game than the VT game last year.

Edit:
We've played more QB's that are "on fire" over the past five seasons than anyone else. It's time to quit using that excuse.
It's the truth. It pretty much takes a QB playing an amazing game to beat Alabama. Alabama has won a vast majority of their games, of the ones they lost, it took a great QB performance. That's because most of the time Alabama is the best team on the field. It takes something special to beat them.

Last edited:

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
So you just want to completely ignore the stats to suggest that? Cool.
We've had more QBs who weren't great before they played us break out and look like NFL-caliber QBs than most other teams. Yes, we have great pass efficiency stats over the years. We pad our passing efficiency stats against cupcakes the same way Oregon pads their total offense against cupcakes.

I'm saying our problems on defense have everything to do with these QBs breaking out against. Lately our defense makes QBs comfortable.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
We've had more QBs who weren't great before they played us break out and look like NFL-caliber QBs than most other teams. Yes, we have great pass efficiency stats over the years. We pad our passing efficiency stats against cupcakes the same way Oregon pads their total offense against cupcakes.

I'm saying our problems on defense have everything to do with these QBs breaking out against. Lately our defense makes QBs comfortable.
do you realize what our record is over the past 6 years?

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
lot's of truth in that post

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Here's the thing though, in terms of tangibles, there were so many more reasons to be worried about the VT game last year. Sure, I guess we think about VT as being better, but they were 7-6 the year before in a conference full of basketball schools.

Alabama had 206 yards, VT had 212 yards. Alabama's offense had 14 points, VT's offense had 10.

This game? Alabama had 538 yards, West Virginia had 393. Alabama's offense had 33 points, West Virginia's offense had 16.

The relevant statistics were obscured by the kick return touchdowns, and that score on defense. You add those to this game, and it's 54-23 and people would feel a lot different, right? The truth is, simply based on results, there's more reasons to feel good about this game than the VT game last year.

Edit:

It's the truth. It pretty much takes a QB playing an amazing game to beat Alabama. Alabama has won a vast majority of their games, of the ones they lost, it took a great QB performance. That's because most of the time Alabama is the best team on the field. It takes something special to beat them.
All the QBs who've had those "amazing games"...wouldn't have had them if we had pressured the QB consistently. In many cases DB play could've been better as well.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.