****Bama vs. WVU - Postgame Thread****

rolltideface

All-SEC
Jun 30, 2001
hoover, alabama
Best assessment that I've read. Georgia and TAMU look to be the best in the conference to me at this point in time.
I agree with the first part- sip's assessment was dead on. UGA and TAMU both played great but it's really hard to tell if that means anything....CLEM and USCe could both end up 8-4 while WV goes 10-2.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
My take.
I hope the team grows up a lot in the next few weeks, so many new guys in the mix this year.
Super talented, but need experience.

I don't want to be too hard on Sims, i thought he did some good things, but couldn't help but think a more accurate QB would have tore that defense a new one.
First career start, but i wonder if he has any upside, he wasn't recruited for his passing arm and this is his last season.
Curious to see Coker play.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
We have to have lost like 20 games, based on what I'm reading. Am I right?
Nowhere did I say or imply that we've lost 20 games. Not sure where you got that. Why is it that when I complain about certain, specific areas, do certain posters take my dissatisfaction in one area and suggest (sarcastically) I should apply it to every area? You guys need to quit jumping the gun. What I said has merit and in no way contradicts the great things CNS has accomplished at the Capstone. I said I was unhappy with the pressure we've put on some of these "amazing game" QBs, not the overall results of Saban's tenure.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
So, if FSU messes around and loses, Who is #1. Bama didn't look like the country's best team. or did they?

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I personally am very happy with this game for multiple reasons:

1. We have finally found the future of our special teams. This crew we have now will be really, really good for about 3-4 more years, so we should be very consistent for a long time.

2. Sims proved that he does have complete control of the team. There were definitely some throws that could have been better, and part of his stats are inflated due to amazing runs after the catch by Coop and White. However, at no point did BS lose control of the offense, he never got rattled, and he didn't try and do to much. Blake knows how to play within his limits, and I felt like his style was exactly what we needed today.

3. We got the W, but proved that we still have a ways to go. No, today wasn't really a pretty win, but would a pretty win have been in our best interest? This team is very young and inexperienced, and it is a team that has struggled with complacency in the past. Had we come out and destroyed WVU, that could have given our young players an attitude of accomplishment that they have yet to earn. I think this type of win can go a long way to keep a team hungry and give the coaching staff a lot to work with.

4. We finally have a pass rush!! Jonathn Allen was the absolute stud that we thought he would be, and it's only going to get better as A'Shawn, Pettway, and Hand get settled. For such a glaring weakness as it's been in the past, I think this year it may be our best defensive strength by the end of the year.

5. We bent, but we never broke defensively. Yes they threw the ball all over us, and yes we were conservative and out of position at times, but we still held strong the whole game. We had two stops within the 5 yardline, and we didn't give up any easy big plays. Personally, I will take giving up 350 yards a game so long as we are only giving up 16 points are so. I don't think this was as bad of a defensive effort as people are carrying on, and we will have a lot to learn from.

6. Our running game is everything we thought it would be. Yeldon and Henry are the two headed monster that we have historically had, and they may even be the best combo yet. Oh, and then you throw in Drake as a change of pace 5-10 times a game, and you add a running quarterback to the mix. Shoot, we are really good in that department folks, and we are going to put up a lot of yards on the ground this year.

7. Special kudos to West Virginia. Admittedly, I was among the crowd who thought this was going to be a blowout. My pregame pick was for 41-10. However, they proved today that they are still a quality opponent. They still don't have much of a defense, but in the big12 they won't really need one. I firmly believe that they will not be a 4 win team again this year. As a matter of fact, I could easily see them as an 8-9 win team. I wish them best of luck the rest of the way!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We've played more QB's that are "on fire" over the past five seasons than anyone else. It's time to quit using that excuse. Period. A lot of QBs look good when you give them all day to throw and you've got DBs that don't turn around. Seriously though, we've got to drop that "but such-and-such QB played the game of his life" excuse. Our problems on defense had a lot to do with the plethora of QBs who've played "the game of their life" against us in the past four seasons.
Bama has lost seven games since 2009. Here they are:
2010: #19 USC - 17/20, 201, 3 TD, 1 INT
2010: #10 LSU - 14/20, 208, 1 TD, 0 INT
2010: #2 Auburn - 13/20, 216, 3 TD, 0 INT
2011: #2 LSU - 9/17, 91, 0 TD, 2 INT
2012: #15 Texas A&M - 24/31, 253, 2 TD, 0 INT
2013: #4 Auburn - 11/16, 97, 2 TD, 0 INT
2013: #11 Oklahoma - 32/44, 348, 4 TD, 1 INT

Out of those seven games, only two threw for more than 216 yards and only three threw for three or more TDs (only one threw for four). We've averaged allowing 203 ypg passing, 2.1 TDs/g and 0.6 INTs/g - hardly awful stats.

Few of these teams have anything in common stylistically, though you could argue that the 2010 Auburn team is sorta HUNH like the last three losses have been. Otherwise, we face good / great QBs throughout the season and generally make them look pedestrian.

So what exactly is the problem again?

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Bama has lost seven games since 2009. Here they are:
2010: #19 USC - 17/20, 201, 3 TD, 1 INT
2010: #10 LSU - 14/20, 208, 1 TD, 0 INT
2010: #2 Auburn - 13/20, 216, 3 TD, 0 INT
2011: #2 LSU - 9/17, 91, 0 TD, 2 INT
2012: #15 Texas A&M - 24/31, 253, 2 TD, 0 INT
2013: #4 Auburn - 11/16, 97, 2 TD, 0 INT
2013: #11 Oklahoma - 32/44, 348, 4 TD, 1 INT

Out of those seven games, only two threw for more than 216 yards and only three threw for three or more TDs (only one threw for four). We've averaged allowing 203 ypg passing, 2.1 TDs/g and 0.6 INTs/g - hardly awful stats.

Few of these teams have anything in common stylistically, though you could argue that the 2010 Auburn team is sorta HUNH like the last three losses have been. Otherwise, we face good / great QBs throughout the season and generally make them look pedestrian.

So what exactly is the problem again?
You're ignoring Manziel in 2013 and Trickett this year because we won. Also Mettenberger in 2012. We don't face a lot of great QBs every year. This isn't the NFL. Lately, when we do, however, we let them be way too comfortable. Also, I'm not just referring to the past, but the future. It's a trend that's been building slowly and I believe will become more apparent in the future until it is addressed by the Coach. It's becoming more frequent.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Didn't take part in the game threads, so I'm not sure if this was discussed in those. Did anyone notice the WVU DEs holding Bama players (OJ, Nudie, Christion, and others) from going into the flats when Blake would roll out? Blake's checkdown on those plays were taken away by the DE. Have to give him kudos for not getting rattled because of it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
You're ignoring Manziel in 2013 and Trickett this year because we won. Also Mettenberger in 2012.
Yes, absolutely.

We don't face a lot of great QBs every year. This isn't the NFL. Lately, when we do, however, we let them be way too comfortable. Also, I'm not just referring to the past, but the future. It's a trend that's been building slowly and I believe will become more apparent in the future until it is addressed by the Coach. It's becoming more frequent.
Show me a defense that's been better than Alabama over the last five years and we'll talk - otherwise you're complaining about how the game is changing without addressing the very fact that it's changing. Offenses and defenses adapt, and ignoring the fact that the rule changes that have allowed HUNH-like teams to have the advantage tells me you're ignoring the facts simply to make a point.

NOBODY is consistently stopping everyone, but the team that consistently does it the best is in Tuscaloosa.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Remember Arkansas and their stud QBs? We made them wanna quit. I'm not sure why we can't affect guys like Trickett like that.
Because Trickett had the ball out of his hands within a second of the snap, or Bama had pressure on him. Mallet and Wilson sat back in the pocket, so we could blitz the heck out of them.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Didn't take part in the game threads, so I'm not sure if this was discussed in those. Did anyone notice the WVU DEs holding Bama players (OJ, Nudie, Christion, and others) from going into the flats when Blake would roll out? Blake's checkdown on those plays were taken away by the DE. Have to give him kudos for not getting rattled because of it.
I complained about it a few times in the game threads - Bama got called for holding on several occasions, but at least one score happened BECAUSE of holding and it was ignored. Likewise, many times during the game pressure was avoided not by great WVU QB play, but by the OL being allowed to drag our players to the ground...

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Remember Arkansas and their stud QBs? We made them wanna quit. I'm not sure why we can't affect guys like Trickett like that.
Personally, I think guys not being ready when the ball snaps has a lot to do with that. Regular-tempo offenses have not been a problem for us (mostly). They have time to process the play call, get ready, and fire off the ball.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We've had more QBs who weren't great before they played us break out and look like NFL-caliber QBs than most other teams. Yes, we have great pass efficiency stats over the years. We pad our passing efficiency stats against cupcakes the same way Oregon pads their total offense against cupcakes.

I'm saying our problems on defense have everything to do with these QBs breaking out against. Lately our defense makes QBs comfortable.
Give me specific examples.

Who did this? Who was a mediocrity and then had the game of his life?

2008 - Tim Tebow? Brian Johnson?
2010 - Stephen Garcia? Jarrett Lee? Cam Newton?
2011 - Jordan Jefferson?
2012 - Johnny Manziel?
2013 - Nick Marshall? Trevor Knight?

Out of that bunch, THREE of those guys were Heisman Trophy winners, all of whom were drafted into the NFL.

Nick Marshall passed for 97 yards. LSU's total yardage in 2011 was around 240 or so.

So that leaves Garcia, Johnson, and Trevor Knight.

Okay, yeah Knight had a great game. We also turned the ball over five times to set it up for him. I don't know how in the world anyone can blame the DEFENSE for five turnovers.

Garcia passed 17 for 20 and 201 yards, 3 TD and 1 INT. He had a good game but if you look at the stats you'll wonder how in the world we could have lost that game. Oh that's right - when you only rush for 36 yards on 29 carries, it's somehow your defense's fault.

The one guy you can make the case for is Brian Johnson of Utah. He had a phenomenal game.

Of course, we also turned the ball over three times and that was prior to the newer defensive scheme and the hiring of Kirby Smart.

I don't disagree necessarily with your basic point, but I don't think what you're citing as evidence qualifies as evidence in favor of that claim.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.