****Bama vs. WVU - Postgame Thread****

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
That is the most logical explanation. If Sims burned a hole in Cooper's back, Howard might have housed that catch.
Exactly! Blake's eyes were the key to that play. Coop ran a 7 yard hitch on a CB that he'd roasted all day. Blake's eyes would have controlled the CB and kept him glued to Coop, and in the end, they ultimately took the CB to the play. And the pass wasn't very well thrown either. But that's neither here nor there. There will be other opportunities.

I saw OJ line up out wide some yesterday. Hopefully we'll see some more of that as the season progresses, particularly in the red zone

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Exactly! Blake's eyes were the key to that play. Coop ran a 7 yard hitch on a CB that he'd roasted all day. Blake's eyes would have controlled the CB and kept him glued to Coop, and in the end, they ultimately took the CB to the play. And the pass wasn't very well thrown either. But that's neither here nor there. There will be other opportunities.

I saw OJ line up out wide some yesterday. Hopefully we'll see some more of that as the season progresses, particularly in the red zone
I'd hoped for the same. With his height, he can go up and catch it over just about any corner...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
OJ was really underutilized by the gameplan but we've got so many good skill guys that somebody is going to get that treatment week to week.

I'd rather have that problem than some other ones we had back in the day when I first started posting here.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
OJ was really underutilized by the gameplan but we've got so many good skill guys that somebody is going to get that treatment week to week.

I'd rather have that problem than some other ones we had back in the day when I first started posting here.
And that's over a decade ago... :D

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I wasn't thrilled with Sims' performance but feel a little better after reading some of the posts on here.
I was. He did a fantastic job for his first full-fledged start against a Power 5 opponent under a giant microscope. It's a super promising beginning IMO.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I didn't see anyone was open on that play.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Championship depends on BS continuing to build on a solid first game. Yes, there are holes...but there always are. This team will continue to grow...the chemistry is there.
The chemistry is definitely there. My second viewing of this game I noticed an almost constant positive vibe going through the team. Smiling, encouragement, lots of pats on the back and butt, high fives. This team likes one another and that could bode well for continued growth and improvement.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I didn't see anyone was open on that play.
Both guys were single covered. Coop's man peeled off of him to make the pick. Point I'm making is if Blake's eyes are on Coop as the play develops, then so is the corner, which would have left Howard in single coverage on a safety

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Gotcha. I was expecting him to go for it by running, I wasn't sure why he threw the ball.
Both guys were single covered. Coop's man peeled off of him to make the pick. Point I'm making is if Blake's eyes are on Coop as the play develops, then so is the corner, which would have left Howard in single coverage on a safety

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
One thing I saw last night that I am not accustomed to seeing on Saban teams is our defense getting beat around the edges, especially early. A question for you folks that know the Xs and Os ... Is that confusion or is it a lack of discipline (staying with their assignments) or is it simply getting beat by faster talent?

As far as Blake is concerned, he has watched for 4 years and until last night, it was just a dream. Last night it became real to him ... his team, on his shoulders ... I am very interested in seeing how he handles it over the next two games. He certainly played well enough to keep the position another week and I think he may surprise a few people after thinking about this for a few days.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
More likely, he has one more chance... I think Coker gets the start this weekend, and whoever peforms well or execute offense clearly will be the starter for the season. The defense..Poor execution, soft play and confusion of their assignments played a role.
One thing I saw last night that I am not accustomed to seeing on Saban teams is our defense getting beat around the edges, especially early. A question for you folks that know the Xs and Os ... Is that confusion or is it a lack of discipline (staying with their assignments) or is it simply getting beat by faster talent?

As far as Blake is concerned, he has watched for 4 years and until last night, it was just a dream. Last night it became real to him ... his team, on his shoulders ... I am very interested in seeing how he handles it over the next two games. He certainly played well enough to keep the position another week and I think he may surprise a few people after thinking about this for a few days.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
More likely, he has one more chance... I think Coker gets the start this weekend, and whoever peforms well or execute offense clearly will be the starter for the season. The defense..Poor execution, soft play and confusion of their assignments played a role.
I just don't see that happening over next weekends game. It would be highly unfair to name Coker the starter for the season if he some how has a better game next weekend against Fla International than Sims, completely discounting the fact that Sims (this week) played in a much bigger game on a much bigger stage and did fine. I think Coker will play but it will be in an obvious back up role. I think the qb competition is over unless Sims just starts regressing.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

Cooper ran a 12 yard comeback, which is way too deep a route for where Howard is designed to be open. Either it's a bad play drawn up or Cooper ran too deep. A 7 would've made a huge difference in that CBs decision.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
You could be right but I don't know how you could not start Blake. He pretty much exceeded expectations. I wouldn't want to mess with his confidence. I do think we see Coker after a couple series next week but I think "starter" is Blake's job for the time being.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
You could be right but I don't know how you could not start Blake. He pretty much exceeded expectations. I wouldn't want to mess with his confidence. I do think we see Coker after a couple series next week but I think "starter" is Blake's job for the time being.
Remember Saban said Coker will get equal chance....he has to be fair.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I just don't see that happening over next weekends game. It would be highly unfair to name Coker the starter for the season if he some how has a better game next weekend against Fla International than Sims, completely discounting the fact that Sims (this week) played in a much bigger game on a much bigger stage and did fine. I think Coker will play but it will be in an obvious back up role. I think the qb competition is over unless Sims just starts regressing.
See my post above. I don't think qb competition is over. How you gonna say it's over when coker hasn't had a chance to show what he can do? Sims did fine but he made few mistakes... I think we'll see coker starting and finishing the game this weekend and then we'll know more.. saban will not do this half azz... if you know what I mean.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Cooper ran a 12 yard comeback, which is way too deep a route for where Howard is designed to be open. Either it's a bad play drawn up or Cooper ran too deep. A 7 would've made a huge difference in that CBs decision.
Good observation. If his clearout had been shorter, it gives OJ a much better chance of catching the ball, which appeared underthrown in any case...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.