The Good The Bad and The Ugly WVU

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I beginning to think folks just don't realize just how much offenses have changed even since 2009. The years of a defense avg. less than 10 pts. per game are over. While I admit there are certainly areas to improve if you can't see the areas where there was improvement.....well....nevermind.
in our last game of last season we gave up 348 yards passing and 4 tds to a top 10 oklahoma team that won 11 games last season.

in our opening game of this season we gave up 365 yards passing and 1 td to an unranked west virginia team that won 4 games last season.

if that's improvement, then we're in big trouble.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
The Good - Tremendous individual effort by Cooper, Yeldon, and Henry to pick up yardage without much blocking.

The Bad - Play at the LOS on both sides of the ball.

The Ugly - Tackling was REAL ugly.
The Ugly #2 - d-backs playing 5 yards off the receivers in the red zone.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Good: Sims shows promise, the RB's are as good as advertised, the OL protected well and was good in run blocking, We will not lose a game because of kicking :biggrin:, the run defense improved greatly in the second half, and running no huddle seems to work for Bama like it does everyone else lol.

Bad: Took to long getting out of the huddle and getting set for the play, the kickoff coverage once, and Jones uncharacteristic drops.

Ugly: Secondary play, this was really the only weakness on the team in the game yesterday. Slyve doesn't play the ball at all, and have to close the gap and challenge the receivers more.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
imho, its the execution. we had a lot of missed tackles and we were out of position on a lot of the coverage. also, we could not get off those screen blocks at all.
we couldn't execute, we missed tackles, we were out of position in coverage and couldn't shed blocks...isn't that basically every faze of the defensive game?

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
sims played well.

offense wasn't the problem yesterday.
No it wasn't. If the defense plays a little better and gets some 3 and outs or gives up one first down instead of chunks it gives Sims and and offense more possessions in better field position. This probably leads to more points.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
yes they were and I am sick of seeing everyone of the Sims haters show that stat.
Yea I can agree Christian missed two balls.

He (sims)played a good game,But still I think there are concerns about him technically such as looking receivers down and throwing low balls . I think we will be fine with him and kiffin as long as they continue to get better so I like what I saw and confident moving forward. Rtr

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Good:
We won
Sims had a good debut
The running game
FG kicking and punting
I own a transistor radio (See bad comment)

Bad:
My power went out in the middle of the third quarter

Ugly:

Defensive play and the kickoff return

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The Good (Blake Sims section)- I'm giving a special section of the "good" to Sims in that I was so happy for him. His scrambling ability saved our butts a few times when we were backed up in our territory. Kudos to him for staying positive and being a leader the entire game. Time and time again the announcers alluded Sims on the sidelines after series (good or bad) keeping the team up and "in the game". For his first game he did pretty good. He didn't have a Kenny Hill debut but no one expected that. Sure, he made some mistakes (the Int and the few times you could tell he called the play wrong). But the kid kept plugging and playing and led us to a win. With his first game over I'm certain he'll be in the film room with the offensive staff correcting things. I fully expect him to get better with each game.

The Good- Kudos to our kicker and punter. WOW!!! LOL! If we don't have anything else we got us a kicker who can boot it from dang near midfield and a punter that can punt it out of the stadium. The offensive line got better as the game wore on. They'll need to continue to improve but I was pleased with what I saw. Amari Cooper, DeAndrew White, Yeldon and Henry are beasts. Plain and simple. If we can get some rhythm in our offense we are going to put up a lot of yardage and a lot of points.

The Bad-The defense. Plain and simple. It was the most disappointing aspect of the entire game for me. Even worse than the KO return for a touchdown. I'm sure I'll be accused of being "too harsh" and that's fine. But if it weren't for WVU dropping several balls on key down and distances this game could have turned a different way. To be honest our defense didn't really "stop" them all game. It was their lack of executing that stopped them for the most part. And the "But our guys drop some balls too" really doesn't fly because I just don't see how a breakdown on our offense all of sudden makes breakdowns on our defense "not that big of a deal". It's not a one cancels out the other. In my opinion it doesn't. We still can't get any pressure on the QB, we are still confused with the HUNH and are still letting guys run free down the seam and on the perimeters. I'm starting to begin to think the lack of penetration is more of a scheme thing than anything. But I'm not qualified enough to really be dogmatic about that. I also kept hearing the announcers saying one of our LB's was getting abused in the passing game. Ragland was it? Either way it doesn't look like our staff has made much progress in slowing down the HUNH. They ran a lot of what OU ran and it worked.

The Ugly- The KO return. This seems to becoming common theme in our openers. It should have never happened.

Last edited:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
The Good (Blake Sims section)- I'm giving a special section of the "good" to Sims in that I was so happy for him. His scrambling ability saved our butts a few times when we were backed up in our territory. Kudos to him for staying positive and being a leader the entire game. Time and time again the announcers alluded Sims on the sidelines after series (good or bad) keeping the team up and "in the game". For his first game he did pretty good. He didn't have a Kenny Hill debut but no one expected that. Sure, he made some mistakes (the Int and the few times you could tell he called the play wrong). But the kid kept plugging and playing and led us to a win. With his first game over I'm certain he'll be in the film room with the offensive staff correcting things. I fully expect him to get better with each game.

The Good- Kudos to our kicker and punter. WOW!!! LOL! If we don't have anything else we got us a kicker who can boot it from dang near midfield and a punter that can punt it out of the stadium. The offensive line got better as the game wore on. They'll need to continue to improve but I was pleased with what I saw. Amari Cooper, DeAndrew White, Yeldon and Henry are beasts. Plain and simple. If we can get some rhythm in our offense we are going to put up a lot of yardage and a lot of points.

The Bad-The defense. Plain and simple. It was the most disappointing aspect of the entire game for me. Even worse than the KO return for a touchdown. I'm sure I'll be accused of being "too harsh" and that's fine. But if it weren't for WVU dropping several balls on key down and distances this game could have turned a different way. To be honest our defense didn't really "stop" them all game. It was their lack of executing that stopped them for the most part. And the "But our guys drop some balls too" really doesn't fly because I just don't see how a breakdown on our offense all of sudden makes breakdowns on our defense "not that big of a deal". It's not a one cancels out the other. In my opinion it doesn't. We still can't get any pressure on the QB, we are still confused with the HUNH and are still letting guys run free down the seam and on the perimeters. I'm starting to begin to think the lack of penetration is more of a scheme thing than anything. But I'm not qualified enough to really be dogmatic about that. I also kept hearing the announcers saying one of our LB's was getting abused in the passing game. Ragland was it? Either way it doesn't look like our staff has made much progress in slowing down the HUNH. They ran a lot of what OU ran and it worked.

The Ugly- The KO return. This seems to becoming common theme in our openers. It should have never happened.
I'm no X's and O's guru, but the defense looks pretty much exactly the same versus a HUNH offense...confused and sluggish.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
Good: Kiffin's play-calling. Aside from a few times in the 2nd half when he dialed up passes when we really should have stayed with the ground game, I thought he did a great job in putting Sims in situations where he could succeed. Unlike some of our fans who want to imagine an accurate downfield passer into existence, Kiffin understood Sims' limitations and also understood how to make the most of his skills.

Bad: The bruise on poor #10 of WV's chest this morning after struck by AIM-9 Sidewinder, aka Landon Collins. I'm afraid of Collins and he's on MY team.

Ugly: The picture quality of ABC's wide-angle shot camera. Was that camera even HD? It was so fuzzy that I couldn't even read the numbers on the players uniforms.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
The Good: Running backs, Sims and the Kickers!

The bad: Offense mental mistakes, Defensive intensity, soft and passive CB play, missed tackles, LB play.

The Ugly: I cant believe no one has mentioned this. NO Takeaways!!! Turnover margin is the one stat why we lost two games last year. We have to force turnovers and make game changing plays on defense. There is no excuse with the talent on the field we dont cause more turnovers.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
The good: Yeldon and Henry both rushed for over 100 yards, the OL looked very good, the defense only gave up 28 yards rushing.

The bad: A lack of pressure from the defensive line, and the pass coverage from the corners.

The ugly: The play of Blake Sims. I still don't get it. He under threw deep passes and threw behind the receivers on crossing routes. His passes were inaccurate and lacked force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
The Good: The field goal kicker and the punter + #4, #27, #9 and a 1st start for #6.
The Bad: inability to throw the BOMB! LB's & DB's. Doesn't look like we've improved in playing fast paced teams. Mistakes by the Right Guard (penalties). We didn't blow them out so we could see what #14 can do.
The Ugly: injury to #2 + lots of confusion on Defense

The Future: Want to see some bombs + all OL in sync + ball thrown to #1 + better play by LB's and DB's.

How do you think our Defense would have played outside in the sunshine, the heat and humidity instead of in an air conditioned building against WVU?

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
in our last game of last season we gave up 348 yards passing and 4 tds to a top 10 oklahoma team that won 11 games last season.

in our opening game of this season we gave up 365 yards passing and 1 td to an unranked west virginia team that won 4 games last season.

if that's improvement, then we're in big trouble.
That's not a fair comparison. 2 different teams completely.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.