What does it mean when people say "we must learn to "STOP" the HUNH offenses"?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: What does it mean when people say "we must learn to "STOP" the HUNH offenses"?

Listening to cheese nip on SEC NETWORK
Obviously not head coach material, but his DC skills are without question, IMO. Leading two different major programs to undefeated seasons is no small feat...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Re: What does it mean when people say "we must learn to "STOP" the HUNH offenses"?

Put the time clock rule changes together with the old no huddle and throw in a pass happy offense like the run and shoot variant, and you have the modern HUNH.
Bottom line is that most of these offenses are a direct result of rules changes and coaches scheming to take advantage of them. We wouldn't have the pas happy air raid, spread, run and shoot offenses if were not for rules changes against DB's
. If you want to know the next big thing in CFB or the NFL, look to HS football. Almost every 'innovative offense' has come from the HS ranks, that includes the spread, run and shoot, even the wishbone as coaches try to make up for a talent disparity.

Last edited:

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com

I think Chizik is an excellent analyst. He was very good during the 2011 championship week/game.
He's been good everytime I've heard him.

edit:I meant to copy crimsonaudio's post above.

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA

Here's what I would like to see changed in the next game (if it only takes "a few little things to clean up" I'll be very happy):
- No more "deer in the headlight" faces when there is a close-up of a defensive player
- No more running around like the Keystone Cops trying to get into position before the snap
- No more feeling that we are one or two plays from losing the game at any moment
I realize these are "my expectations", but they're based upon watching Alabama football for a long time. I guess I like the feeling of "Act like you've been here before"
Roll Tide!

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Along with defending champion Florida State, Michigan State is the only team to rank in the top five in defensive yards per play in each of the last three seasons, and the Spartans finished no. 1 last year while posting a 13-1 record.
That's a good point and that MSU defense really did prove itself as an excellent D against OSU and Stanford last year. But... the Big Televen is not the powerhouse conference that it once was. I wonder what kind of stats and rankings Bama's D would have had last year against MSU's schedule.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004

Anyone else notice in the game when our defense wasn't set, it confused the WV quarterback, and he called timeout. I wonder if using more defensive motion leading up to the snap would help slow the HUNH, as the coaches on the sidelines would have a much harder time sending in the call based on the defense. By that, I mean some really odd setups that stop the zone read in its tracks.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

We saw how difficult that is Saturday evening. Quick passes make DL penetration much harder.
We had 3 sacks and several hurries which probably means our pass defense on those plays was pretty good. If they ain't open it doesn't matter how quick you want to throw it.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

One thing to emphasize is that our own offense is going to have to become more consistent and do their part to win games. I agree with someone in an earlier post that 17-14 games are not going to be as common but 45-35 will become the norm. It may not be the style of footbal that I would prefer but I'd rather win 50-49 in an offensive shootout than lose 14-17 in a defensive struggle. At the end of the day winning is still the goal, not having the top-rated defense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.