The O-Line is the most important part of the this year's team

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
With the proliferation of spread HUNH teams it is imperative to control the ball. I don't care what flavor of the month HUNH team is coming at you they can't run plays at the speed of light if they are holding their helmets on the sideline. The best remedy to the problem is long bone crushing drives. Put up some 12-15 play 8 minute drives and that will take the starch out of these teams. This is why the O-line for Bama will need to do some old fashion 2008 style mauling. Bama has the backs to do the job they just need a crease to get through. You can even go with some tempo yourself, but this type of "dinosaur" offense can still win big. It also will make life much easier on whichever QB is under center, and if it is Sims add in a little read and other types of option plays, and other teams won't know what hit them. This will make play action and straight drop backs easier as well.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I agree, we had the ball for 15 1/2 more minutes than WV. We need to definitely play the keep away game on these teams.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I was disappointed we couldn't pick up the 3rd and 2 towards the end of the game to finish the game there. We got stuffed on 3rd and short and had to punt. Seems like this same scenario, not picking up 3rd and short yardage, cost us a game last year also. Overall I thought the offensive line played pretty well..

Last edited:

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
This strategy will also keep you defense fresh for when they do have the ball. This will help deep in the game for the big guys on the D-Line to still have something in the tank for those crucial moments late.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
There's no doubt in my mind that WVU would've scored more points had we not held the ball for so long. But we've got to win the battle up front for that to happen.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I was impressed with the O line play, I do think RG position will be one that rotates back and forth a little until someone solidly nails that one down but overall very good.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Saban even mentioned that teams are now having a harder time preparing for us because we are one of the only few teams that don't run some form of the HUNH. They're not used to defending it so it gives them problems.
That's not the whole story. You have to recruit different body types for defending the HUNH. It appears to me that CNS has adopted sort of a middle route. There was a lot of talk on the WVU boards about our "monster" OL and not having to face another like it this season. Of course, we didn't look too "monster" in the first few minutes, but we adapted. I felt sorry for Brown. I believe he came out largely because of conditioning, rather than the two holds. The first one, he got his index finger hooked inside the defenders pads, which brought them both down. Legit call, but totally accidental and the play had already passed them anyway. The second call was just bogus...

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
[/B]That's not the whole story. You have to recruit different body types for defending the HUNH. It appears to me that CNS has adopted sort of a middle route. There was a lot of talk on the WVU boards about our "monster" OL and not having to face another like it this season. Of course, we didn't look too "monster" in the first few minutes, but we adapted. I felt sorry for Brown. I believe he came out largely because of conditioning, rather than the two holds. The first one, he got his index finger hooked inside the defenders pads, which brought them both down. Legit call, but totally accidental and the play had already passed them anyway. The second call was just bogus...
I thought so too.

Crimson_Knight

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2006
This is the bottom line. Keep mixing it up and spread the ball around is the next step on O. Quicker LB decisions and win the battle one on one with DBs. No matter who plays out there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.