The defensive problems aren't the HUNH it's the CB's

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
personally, i think that if we can get our corners tackling better on the edges, it will solve a lot of our problems. many times, they are isolated and when they miss the tackle, its open field behind them.
There's not supposed to be open field behind. That's what safeties are for...

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
personally, i think that if we can get our corners tackling better on the edges, it will solve a lot of our problems. many times, they are isolated and when they miss the tackle, its open field behind them.
We had a lot of 1-2yd stops that turned into 15-20yd plays because the CB failed to tackle properly.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
There was and Saban said as much in the press conference. Those things can and will be worked out. If Depriest is the only one on the team that can effectively call plays on defense then that concerns me. Seeing that there are a lot of packages that we use that he isn't even on the field for.
I think RR will be able to, but the experience difference between him and TD is pretty big, and it being the first game and all...
IIRC, Stanford has been using something similar in practice to prepare for the HUNH, relative to what I understand Bama was doing in fall camp. Can't expect it to produce miracles overnight, but some of the problems I noticed in the game (WV's only offensive TD, kickoff return for TD) had absolutely nothing to do with the HUNH. I really do think (and I only have on my readers right now and they ain't crimson) Bama's defense will finish the season ranked higher than last year in every category. JMO

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Bama's defensive philosophy relies on gap control to allow LBs to make plays. That really doesn't scheme up well for HUNH offenses. Also, I thing Depriest being out really made a difference. He will be filling CJ's place as far as making on-field adjustments.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Anything we saw on Saturday that was sub-par is fixable. I have full confidence they will be addressed over the next few weeks before the Florida game -- maybe not to perfection, but it will get better.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Stanford has played Oregon's HUNH offense way better than any other team in the last several years.
If you watch those games you'll see that their defensive linemen attack and penetrate every single play.
They manage to disrupt the play before it gets started.
To me, that is the only way to stop or slow down the HUNH.
We need to stop catching blocks, lower our ears and attack like crazy people.
sip
Yes we do, and we have the best personnel in the nation to do it. If Stanford can be effective against the HUNH with their athletes, utilizing that kind of gameplan...just think of what we could do.

That would, however, go against the conservative tendencies of CNS, and I don't think he's willing to abandon them just yet. He will continue to cite lack of execution as the main reason we struggle against the HUNH.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Bama's defensive philosophy relies on gap control to allow LBs to make plays. That really doesn't scheme up well for HUNH offenses. Also, I thing Depriest being out really made a difference. He will be filling CJ's place as far as making on-field adjustments.
That's true, but here's the problem, in my opinion.
If you really look at it, our problem with the no huddle hurry up hasn't been stopping the run.
Our, as you say, "Gap control" does indeed help the linebackers make plays and we've actually stopped the run pretty darn well. I think W. Va. had 28 yards rushing??
The problem I see with our gap control defensive line philosophy is that it results in little to no pressure being put on the QB. This gives him a ton of time to throw and receivers a ton of time to get open.
My point is...Texas A@M, Auburn, Oklahoma, and West Virginia all hurt us more with the pass than they did the run, so maybe we should focus on applying pressure to the QB more than holding our gaps.
sip

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yes we do, and we have the best personnel in the nation to do it. If Stanford can be effective against the HUNH with their athletes, utilizing that kind of gameplan...just think of what we could do.

That would, however, go against the conservative tendencies of CNS, and I don't think he's willing to abandon them just yet. He will continue to cite lack of execution as the main reason we struggle against the HUNH.
Well the biggest thing to stopping them is controlling the clock Stanford had the ball for 42 minutes last year. That gives them time to rest and plan for different situations.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If you really look at it, our problem with the no huddle hurry up hasn't been stopping the run.
Our, as you say, "Gap control" does indeed help the linebackers make plays and we've actually stopped the run pretty darn well. I think W. Va. had 28 yards rushing??
The problem I see with our gap control defensive line philosophy is that it results in little to no pressure being put on the QB. This gives him a ton of time to throw and receivers a ton of time to get open.
My point is...Texas A@M, Auburn, Oklahoma, and West Virginia all hurt us more with the pass than they did the run, so maybe we should focus on applying pressure to the QB more than holding our gaps.
sip
Pressure no pressure, trickett was releasing the ball like Drew Brees on Saturday. The only thing we probably could've done was play closer to the line to stop the at the line throws but trickett was clearly capable of hitting the long ball if we did that. Also he was very elusive when we did.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Pressure no pressure, trickett was releasing the ball like Drew Brees on Saturday. The only thing we probably could've done was play closer to the line to stop the at the line throws but trickett was clearly capable of hitting the long ball if we did that. Also he was very elusive when we did.
He played very well indeed. However, it's easier to throw well when there are no rushers are in your face.

alabiker

Nov 14, 2013
We had 3 sacks, some hurries, and they did a lot of quick passes where you're just not going to get to the QB. But they also slowed the rush by using a full backfield on so many plays. When there are three backs in the backfield you can't abandon your gaps and just go after the QB.

And our defense got better as the game went on. We were able to sub more up front and our offense kept our D off the field enough to keep them fresh. WVU had to slow their offense down and disrupt their own rhythm in order to rest their D.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
We had 3 sacks, some hurries, and they did a lot of quick passes where you're just not going to get to the QB. But they also slowed the rush by using a full backfield on so many plays. When there are three backs in the backfield you can't abandon your gaps and just go after the QB.

And our defense got better as the game went on. We were able to sub more up front and our offense kept our D off the field enough to keep them fresh. WVU had to slow their offense down and disrupt their own rhythm in order to rest their D.
....good points

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Our Db's had pretty good coverage on a lot of plays. some plays the the DB just need to find the ball and the TD in the corner was just good ball placement. Nick explained the defensive confusion on inexperience with coverage communication between DB's and linebackers. this will get better and did in second half.
With a HUNH team, the key is the dlinemen getting upfield and disrupting things in the backfield
I have noticed in the last 2 years, we seem to have fewer blitz packages, It may be personnel?

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
sip
Not last year....

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
With Eddie Jackson possibly playing this weekend things should get better.

Also we have finally had the chance to get TWO lockdown corners in the same class in Brown and Humphrey. They are big corners that have elite speed and great instincts. The future is definitely bright here, now we just have to hope they pick up the defense enough to get playing time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.