The defensive problems aren't the HUNH it's the CB's

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I think everyone is caught up in so called "problems" Bama has with tempo. After thinking about it I see it a little differently. Bama has dealt with spread teams for years. It has never been a problem. These up tempo teams simply run it faster. I see where that may take away some of the exotic blitz and coverage packages Saban likes, but I don't think that is the real problem. The problem is the CB position. Bama doesn't have lock down corners, and they haven't had one since Millner in 2012.

The '08 team had Arenas. The '09 team had Arenas, Jackson, and Johnson had some good moments as well. Check out his series against Jeffrey from USCe. He was epic three straight plays. The '10 team had inexperience and got burned over the course of the season. That same group came back the next year, and Kirkpatrick and Millner were fantastic all year. Millner was back for '12, but Belue never really developed into that shut down type guy. Some of that was a skill issue and some was injuries. The '13 and now the '14 team doesn't have a single guy ready to be the shut down type CB that Saban needs to be able make the rest of the defensive scheme work to the perfection we are so used to seeing, and wow are we a spoiled bunch because of it. The starting corners are two converted WR. They are fast, athletic, and hard working young men that are giving it their all, but there is a certain skill level and mind set necessary to play CB for Bama. The best defenses Bama has put on the field have been able to have at least one CB that you can put on the field and say lock that guy down, and he was pretty much locked down. No one is perfect, but guys like Arenas, Kirkpatrick, and Millner got the job done way more times than they didn't. They located the ball in the air and made plays over and over. This lets the rest of the defense get creative with blitzes, zones, and the ability to roll safety help to other parts of the field or closer to the line of scrimmage.

I think the problems with this are coming to an end. Eddie Jackson will hopefully be back soon, and reminds me a ton of Kirkpatrick. According to all accounts he was tearing it up in spring before his injury. If he hadn't been injured Slyve probably isn't on the field much on Saturday. Then there is Brown and Humphrey. Brown blew me away at A-Day, and I would look for him and Humphrey to get tons of snaps the next two weeks. If Saban is able to get at least one of these guys ready by Florida to take one of these CB spots, maybe both, I really think Bama can return to the form we all have gotten spoiled by. The HUNH will move the ball against Bama to some extent. The days of 150 yard passing games are over when played teams like A&M, but a return to holding these teams to under 250 is possible on a regular basis with the type of CB play Bama has generally had over Saban's tenure. RTR!!

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
My only disagreement is that Bama does indeed have corners with "lock-down" potential - one hopefully coming back from injury soon and two others that are true freshmen and not starting (yet).

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
My only disagreement is that Bama does indeed have corners with "lock-down" potential - one hopefully coming back from injury soon and two others that are true freshmen and not starting (yet).
I agree totally, and included that at the end of the post. I'm hopeful the end is in sight, and that Bama once again has at least one "island" CB on the field.

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
What ever happened to the "make his ... quit" mentality with the dl play? It would help with the pass rush, which would help the corners. We have not had a great pass rush since the days of Dareus, Chapman, Williams. Or do you see it differently than I do?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I hate to break it to some of y'all but the HUNH is what's causing the problems. Did we have these issues before teams started running the HUNH? The DL isn't able to get any consistent pressure because they tire out. Once you run five or six plays at rapid fire pace they drastically slow down. That's the goal of the HUNH. The cb's don't have time to not only get ready but to read the defense are even get the defensive call. So basically they are rendered to sandlot style football.

The problems we are having are exactly what the HUNH's are designed to do and they're working to perfection. It is time to stop denying it.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
What ever happened to the "make his ... quit" mentality with the dl play? It would help with the pass rush, which would help the corners. We have not had a great pass rush since the days of Dareus, Chapman, Williams. Or do you see it differently than I do?
We got more pressure against Trickett than we've seen in a while--so things are looking somewhat up in that regard.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm starting to think the pass rush is more by design now than anything else. We have had the #1 recruiting class for several years in a row now but it seems like QBs still have way to much time in the pocket. It's almost as if our strategy is to do more of a "mush rush" than an actual pass rush. The guys just seem to push the pocket and hold their gaps. I guess that is a decent strategy for a mobile QB but Trickett was like a statue back there. I thought we would have 5 or 6 sacks. I think we had 2. And I know they did a lot of quick pop passes but a lot of times they didn't and Trickett had time to stand back there on his spot and survey the field for to long.

I was talking to my buddy yesterday about the CB situation and said pretty much the same thing. We haven't had a shutdown or elite corner since Milliner. Pass rusher and CB are the two most important pieces to a defense and we really haven't had great play from either of those positions the last two years. Safeties, linebackers, and defensive tackles grow on trees, elite pass rushers and shutdown corners do not. I'm hopeful Eddie Jackson can get back to 100% this year because I think he is our only hope for a shutdown corner this year. Brown and Humphrey may be next year but they will give up a lot of plays if they play this year - like Milliner did his first year..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
i think there were some communication problems early with folks being in new positions at all of the d spots
There was and Saban said as much in the press conference. Those things can and will be worked out. If Depriest is the only one on the team that can effectively call plays on defense then that concerns me. Seeing that there are a lot of packages that we use that he isn't even on the field for.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
There was and Saban said as much in the press conference. Those things can and will be worked out. If Depriest is the only one on the team that can effectively call plays on defense then that concerns me. Seeing that there are a lot of packages that we use that he isn't even on the field for.
personally, i think that if we can get our corners tackling better on the edges, it will solve a lot of our problems. many times, they are isolated and when they miss the tackle, its open field behind them.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i felt a lot better after listening to sabans post game presser

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Lack of having that special LB will hurt too. Since 2008..we had at least one really good LB that controlled our defense.. Rolando, Hightower/Upshaw and CJ. I really hope Trey can step it up.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I agree, and I bet every opposing coach will pick this up in film review. Sylve and Cyrus better get used to the ball being thrown their direction because I predict that its going to happen a lot.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Stanford has played Oregon's HUNH offense way better than any other team in the last several years.
If you watch those games you'll see that their defensive linemen attack and penetrate every single play.
They manage to disrupt the play before it gets started.
To me, that is the only way to stop or slow down the HUNH.
We need to stop catching blocks, lower our ears and attack like crazy people.
sip

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Stanford has played Oregon's HUNH offense way better than any other team in the last several years.
If you watch those games you'll see that their defensive linemen attack and penetrate every single play.
They manage to disrupt the play before it gets started.
To me, that is the only way to stop or slow down the HUNH.
We need to stop catching blocks, lower our ears and attack like crazy people.
sip
I would guess they one-gap. I think we play 2-gap?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Defensive backs need a lot of develoment. It's not just about talent, there's a problem when the NFL can consistently cherry pick Alabama's defensive players. Alabama ends up perpetually inexperienced, or simply with the less preferable option. For instance, there's no way Vinny gets could leave the draft early on any other team. But, Alabama coached him up, put him on the field earlier than a lot of teams would, and then he leaves earlier, forcing them to repeat the process.

Arenas is a good example in that regard, we all remember how good he was. But, he had a lot of struggles earlier, and he even considered quitting football. He was with Alabama until he was a senior, and he delivered stellar play and contributed significantly to the championship. Alabama just isn't keeping more defensive backs like that until their senior year though, and on top of that they are playing plenty of true freshman. I do agree that a lot of the issues are less with the offense they are facing and more so with the fact it just happens to take advantage of Alabama inexperience.

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
Totally agree with you about the CB position.

I have thoughts on the D line, but family is beckoning for labor day lunch. Catch y'all in a bit :)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.