Video - All of Blake Sims' plays against WVU

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I agree with all that. You are missing the point. Let's stop trying to give him credit for a dropped pass that was in all honesty a poorly thrown ball. CJ should have caught that ball and normally does but he didn't. My point about the short passes turning in to longer plays is that it all balances itself out. We always try to recreate the scenario that is strictly advantageous to us. What if CJ hadn't of dropped that pass or Coop had not run the wrong route on the interception play. What iffs..
You do realize a lot of AJ's long passes were under thrown? He didn't routinely hit bombs in stride.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
As I said in the other thread, he looked better on television than in person.
I have to reiterate this fact. Blake Sims looked surprisingly good as a true freshman playing QB at A-Day. He struggled the other two A-Days, and didn't really show much in mop up duty. But, he looked good enough, in person that I came back and made a post about it and have pretty much stuck by the notion that he had legitimate skills at the QB position since then.

I see some of the same people are still hammering away at Blake (not you necessarily). Don't give him credit for putting a ball in a stationary WR's breadbasket, do blame him for things that didn't go his way. Remember that the deep pass that was dropped hung up in the air, forget that he almost hit Cooper in stride on another deep pass. It's getting old, no way he was going to be the backup, Ely was, no way he was going to be the backup, Morris was, no way he was going to be the starter Coker was (even I was guilty of thinking Coker would eventually take the job and he still might). Now, the chorus has gone from he can't throw the deep pass, to he can't throw the deep pass well enough. Ok, sure, what ever.

Blake played a great game, that's all there is to it. There's room for improvement, but he did as well as anyone could hope a QB to do in their debut. That doesn't mean he starts the rest of the games, that doesn't mean he leads Alabama to a championship, but it's about time people give him some credit. He's earned it.

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I forgot how much he had to scramble. I wonder how many times Coker would have been sacked?

One of the most impressive things for me, was his cool and calm after scrambling. It didn't phase him at all.
Not sure why we would just assume Coker would have been sacked...

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I'm really glad I took time to watch that. He looked much better in retrospect knowing the game was won, than on the day with the game on the line.

"Sims was adequate" are my words in another thread, which is probably harsher than it needed to be. He scrambled much better than I remember, and was (as evidenced by the completion %) good at the short passes. I'm not sure how fixable the deep ball is, he does not have a great arm, and the long throws he attempted had a lot of air. But everything else was encouraging for a debut performance.

When Coker goes in, we are likely to see more long balls, but a lower completion rate, less mobility, and possibly more badly-delivered short throws and pre-snap mistakes. Which one is better?

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
Thought Sims did some good things, i like his mobility and he didn't get too flustered for a guy starting his first game.

His numbers were OK, but i was looking at stats for SEC QBs this weekend, and in comparison, Sims was mediocre.
Sims with no TDs and 1 pick and a 130.3 rating.

K. Hill- 511 3TDs no picks and a 161.4 QB rating.
Wallace- 387 4TDs 3 picks and a 179.7 QB rating.
Worley- 273 3TDs no picks and a 157.5 rating.
Prescot- 284 4TDs 1 pick and 204.1 rating.
J. Johnson- 243 2 TDs no picks and a 243.8 rating.

Some of these guys played awful defenses, and Wallace was terrible for the first 3 quarters.

But Sims is supported by a strong ground game and has very good receivers, id like to see him grow in his efficiency after he gets a few games under his belt, but maybe Coker will get a shot too.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Thought Sims did some good things, i like his mobility and he didn't get too flustered for a guy starting his first game.

His numbers were OK, but i was looking at stats for SEC QBs this weekend, and in comparison, Sims was mediocre.
Sims with no TDs and 1 pick and a 130.3 rating.

K. Hill- 511 3TDs no picks and a 161.4 QB rating.
Wallace- 387 4TDs 3 picks and a 179.7 QB rating.
Worley- 273 3TDs no picks and a 157.5 rating.
Prescot- 284 4TDs 1 pick and 204.1 rating.
J. Johnson- 243 2 TDs no picks and a 243.8 rating.

Some of these guys played awful defenses, and Wallace was terrible for the first 3 quarters.

But Sims is supported by a strong ground game and has very good receivers, id like to see him grow in his efficiency after he gets a few games under his belt, but maybe Coker will get a shot too.
The QB competition has picked up but for our team I have no complaints and despite the numbers he did play better than Bo Wallace who is supposed to be a big time QB.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Everybody has said well what if CJ had not dropped that bomb pass? Well it works both ways. Blake also gets credit for the 2 yard passes he throws to Coop and White and they turn them into 20-30 yard gains. A lot of people are also pointing out the 3 or 4 bad throws Blake had -because the receivers on those throws were wide open and should have been easy completions. I think Blake played well - the one area I would like so see him clean up is throwing on the run. It really negates a lot of his mobility if he can't consistently hit passes when he scrambles out of the pocket..

He was 7-9 on the money when throwing on the run. I personally think thats well above average.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
The QB competition has picked up but for our team I have no complaints and despite the numbers he did play better than Bo Wallace who is supposed to be a big time QB.
What id like to see is a solid 250 yard, 2 TD game without mistakes.
I don't think thats too much to ask considering the supporting cast and a pretty QB friendly scheme.

Hopefully either Sims or Coker can step forward and be a good fit for a title run, not really rooting for one over the other, just hope to see progress from whoever it is.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
There was a good amount of zip on some of those passes. I was super impressed with the touch he showed on the pass where White hurt his shoulder. Perfectly placed and timed.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
After watching the video a couple of times, I really like Blake's ability to avoid the pass rush and resist the temptation to just tuck and run every time. He's elusive, get's positive yardage when he runs, and still completes most of his passes after the pocket has broken down/a blitzing linebacker or cornerback has disrupted the play. You can tell he's worked a lot on staying with the receivers even when being chased and not giving up on the pass.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Agreed. His ability to slide out of the way of a rusher and not lose composure was impressive.

As for the things he needs to work on--

He stares down receivers.
His release is late and results in a lot of low passes--which granted, is better than an overthrow.
I wouldn't call what he throws a spiral.
He needs to lead his receivers better. The naked boot pass early in the second is a good example of that.
He needs to do a better job of checking down to his backs and tight ends when nothing is open down field.
He has no real vertical passing ability, or at least none that he showed in the game. The closest was the punt-pass we dropped.
Agreed. Everything Blake has shown us to this point makes me feel pretty confident he'll improve in those areas. All in all, his performance in the WVU game is a great launching point.

hartleyb

Scout Team
Jan 9, 2009
I have to reiterate this fact. Blake Sims looked surprisingly good as a true freshman playing QB at A-Day. He struggled the other two A-Days, and didn't really show much in mop up duty. But, he looked good enough, in person that I came back and made a post about it and have pretty much stuck by the notion that he had legitimate skills at the QB position since then.

I see some of the same people are still hammering away at Blake (not you necessarily). Don't give him credit for putting a ball in a stationary WR's breadbasket, do blame him for things that didn't go his way. Remember that the deep pass that was dropped hung up in the air, forget that he almost hit Cooper in stride on another deep pass. It's getting old, no way he was going to be the backup, Ely was, no way he was going to be the backup, Morris was, no way he was going to be the starter Coker was (even I was guilty of thinking Coker would eventually take the job and he still might). Now, the chorus has gone from he can't throw the deep pass, to he can't throw the deep pass well enough. Ok, sure, what ever.

Blake played a great game, that's all there is to it. There's room for improvement, but he did as well as anyone could hope a QB to do in their debut. That doesn't mean he starts the rest of the games, that doesn't mean he leads Alabama to a championship, but it's about time people give him some credit. He's earned it.
Very good post! If Coker does come along and take the starting QB role, at least we know now if Coker is injured, we have a very capable back-up. I'm not saying Coker will win the job because the jury is still out on him IMHO.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Very good post! If Coker does come along and take the starting QB role, at least we know now if Coker is injured, we have a very capable back-up. I'm not saying Coker will win the job because the jury is still out on him IMHO.
If he can beat out Blake Sims at this point, well done Jake. Realistically, "the competition" is to get him ready to be an acceptable backup. He can start by learning the playbook. First things first.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Pretty thorough discussion this morning on JOX about the qb situation with Lars Anderson.

FWIW, Anderson evaluated BS and had good, not great things to say about BS. He still believes JC will be the starting qb by the time Bama plays the Gators.

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
Sims had a very good day.
His stats should have been MUCH better.
I feel good about him if he can get more comfortable as the year goes on.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.