Video - All of Blake Sims' plays against WVU

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Thanks for that. I was mostly watching #74 on this entire clip. I take back some of the praise I gave him. His run blocking was phenomenal but his pass protection broke down a couple of times, and he had TE help at times as well. But all in all a most excellent first outing for Mr Robinson

I'm telling y'all. All this hate is unwarranted. Pocket presence, runs when needed to, gets positives yards, keeps the chains moving. He did have three bad throws though. I can live with those, right now. He also had three or four dropped passes that hit them dead in the hands. That INT, did Coop run the right route? If he doesn't run that route OJ may still be running.

Thanks for that. I was mostly watching #74 on this entire clip. I take back some of the praise I gave him. His run blocking was phenomenal but his pass protection broke down a couple of times, and he had TE help at times as well. But all in all a most excellent first outing for Mr Robinson
Yeah, overall he had a good game. I'm sure the TE help was designed so he could get his feet under him.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm telling y'all. All this hate is unwarranted. Pocket presence, runs when needed to, gets positives yards, keeps the chains moving. He did have three bad throws though. I can live with those, right now. He also had three or four dropped passes that hit them dead in the hands. That INT, did Coop run the right route? If he doesn't run that route OJ may still be running.
I don't remember any of our past QB's having a game without at least 3 or 4 bad throws.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i was really impressed with his pocket presence.

i was really impressed with his pocket presence.
It really was unexpected. 3 and 11 from the end zone and also faced 3 and 15 as well. The 4th down pass to Amari should have been completed, and also should have had another third down conversion as well.

He'll get better. Believe that.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Thanks, Coach - I'm sure this takes a while to compile and edit, and the effort is appreciated.

I said it Sat night - I think Sims looked great. Far better than I expected.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Everybody has said well what if CJ had not dropped that bomb pass? Well it works both ways. Blake also gets credit for the 2 yard passes he throws to Coop and White and they turn them into 20-30 yard gains. A lot of people are also pointing out the 3 or 4 bad throws Blake had -because the receivers on those throws were wide open and should have been easy completions. I think Blake played well - the one area I would like so see him clean up is throwing on the run. It really negates a lot of his mobility if he can't consistently hit passes when he scrambles out of the pocket..

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I forgot how much he had to scramble. I wonder how many times Coker would have been sacked?

One of the most impressive things for me, was his cool and calm after scrambling. It didn't phase him at all.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Yeah, overall he had a good game. I'm sure the TE help was designed so he could get his feet under him.
Agreed. If Tennessee can win a national title with Tee Martin I be danged we can definitely make a run with Sims at the helm. I think he's only going to get better with each game and by the end of the year he'll be a dangerous, dangerous QB threat.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Everybody has said well what if CJ had not dropped that bomb pass? Well it works both ways. Blake also gets credit for the 2 yard passes he throws to Coop and White and they turn them into 20-30 yard gains. QUOTE]

Kenny Hill didn't throw but a handful of passes over 10 yards Thurs, and people trying to crown him Heisman today...
Yea I agree I'm just saying it works both ways. Everybody just wants to say well if we didn't have any drops looks at what his numbers would have been. But Blake also gets credit for a 1 yard pass that the WR turns into a 30 yard gain..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Agreed. His ability to slide out of the way of a rusher and not lose composure was impressive.

As for the things he needs to work on--

He stares down receivers.
His release is late and results in a lot of low passes--which granted, is better than an overthrow.
I wouldn't call what he throws a spiral.
He needs to lead his receivers better. The naked boot pass early in the second is a good example of that.
He needs to do a better job of checking down to his backs and tight ends when nothing is open down field.
He has no real vertical passing ability, or at least none that he showed in the game. The closest was the punt-pass we dropped.
I think that is a fair accessment of what Sims needs to improve on.

As I said in the good,bad, ugly thread he exceeded my expectations in a lot of ways.

Someone else alluded to his need for improvement on throwing on the run. That's spot on, and if one of his talents is his scrambling he needs to be able to more accurately thrown when he flushed from the pocket.

Thanks coach Jeff for putting this together!!!

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Yea I agree I'm just saying it works both ways. Everybody just wants to say well if we didn't have any drops looks at what his numbers would have been. But Blake also gets credit for a 1 yard pass that the WR turns into a 30 yard gain..
So does every QB that every played the game. Getting the ball safely in the hands of your playmakers is smart football. Short passes with mismatches of personnel is one of the staples of Kiffin's West Coast offense background. Even Coker was the QB, we are most likely going to see more of that than down the field bombs anyway. I get what you are trying to say, but it kinda is what it is.

Consider this: we were breaking in a LT that was standing in HS lunch line a few months ago. Maybe the lack of stretching the field and a the lack of the deep vertical passing was by design. Quick short passes are the best way to protect your QB and give experience to a true freshman LT. Robinson played solidly, but he did have some issues with pass protection. OTOH, WVU's DE's were supposed to one of their strengths, so maybe he did pretty good considering.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
So does every QB that every played the game. Getting the ball safely in the hands of your playmakers is smart football. Short passes with mismatches of personnel is one of the staples of Kiffin's West Coast offense background. Even Coker was the QB, we are most likely going to see more of that than down the field bombs anyway. I get what you are trying to say, but it kinda is what it is.

Consider this: we were breaking in a LT that was standing in HS lunch line a few months ago. Maybe the lack of stretching the field and a the lack of the deep vertical passing was by design. Quick short passes are the best way to protect your QB and give experience to a true freshman LT. Robinson played solidly, but he did have some issues with pass protection. OTOH, WVU's DE's were supposed to one of their strengths, so maybe he did pretty good considering.
I agree with all that. You are missing the point. Let's stop trying to give him credit for a dropped pass that was in all honesty a poorly thrown ball. CJ should have caught that ball and normally does but he didn't. My point about the short passes turning in to longer plays is that it all balances itself out. We always try to recreate the scenario that is strictly advantageous to us. What if CJ hadn't of dropped that pass or Coop had not run the wrong route on the interception play. What iffs..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.