**Week 2 (9/1/14) Presser Highlights***

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Saban thoughts on WV game and game against FAU

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/09/live_updates_from_nick_sabans_11.html

- On DeAndrew White: Probably out two weeks with a shoulder injury. ( That's okay, not a huge loss at this point.. As long we get him back for Florida game)
-- Jarrick Williams: Jones fracture in his foot. Played on it. He'll be out at least four weeks, Saban said. (Opens up room for Geno to play this week)

-- On Cyrus Jones: "Played really, really well. Made two good plays inside the 10-yard line."
- Saban said once Jones got matched up with Kevin White, White's production slowed down. "Smart guy, has poise to adjust."
( I thought He struggled, but I was wrong. After reading this comment, I went back and watched the game again, and Coach is right. My apologies guys!)

-- "I thought it was good ... I still don't hesitate to say there's a quarterback competition." (I told you guys! it's not over!)

-- Asked about defensive line getting pressure on QB, Saban mentions breakdowns at LB and secondary. "We have a lot to improve on defensively all the way around."
-- "I'm not disappointed. It is what it is. This is where we are. This is the starting point."
-- Saban mentions different formations West Virginia used flustered Reggie Ragland and Reuben Foster but both played better in the second half.
( I think all of us said same thing, and he confirmed that.)

Eddie Jackson will get reps for this week.. He will play this saturday. I know many of you are happy about that! It sounds like Slyve is done.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Per Coach Saban's Monday Presser...

Jarrick Williams is out for 4 weeks with a fractured foot.

DeAndrew White is out 2 weeks with a separated shoulder.

The real highlight of the presser for me is that Eddie Jackson has been cleared by doctors and is ready to go
(Mack's note: amazing how fast that happened isn't it?)

The rest of the notes below:

-- "After reviewing the film of the game, it was a really good win for our team."-- Saban liked the intangibles, effort, toughness, competitiveness.
-- Saban also liked how the team bounced back to adverse situations. Mentions defensive stop after interception and two-minute drill drive after kickoff return.
-- "All these things are very encouraging signs from a competitive standpoint."
-- "You need to get better execution on a consistent basis."
-- "We've got to have better preparation, better attention to detail and more guys on our team able to play winning football."
-- "These things are all correctable and fixable."
-- Saban mentions players of the week. Highlights Jalston Fowler for his blocking.
-- "We're really looking forward to our home opener." Saban is hopeful for a great crowd.
-- Saban said Florida Atlantic had a pretty good year last year and had a good start last week against Nebraska.
-- "The key to being successful this season for a lot of teams I saw is who can make that improvement."
-- On DeAndrew White: Probably out two weeks with a shoulder injury.
-- Jarrick Williams: Jones fracture in his foot. Played on it. He'll be out at least four weeks, Saban said.
-- On Cyrus Jones: "Played really, really well. Made two good plays inside the 10-yard line."
-- Saban said once Jones got matched up with Kevin White, White's production slowed down. "Smart guy, has poise to adjust."
-- On Blake Sims: "Blake did a good job in the game ... Had a couple of open guys he missed and we had a couple of good throws he made that were dropped."
-- "The only negative was, especially in the second quarter, poise, calling the plays in the huddle, taking too long in the huddle."
-- "I thought it was good ... I still don't hesitate to say there's a quarterback competition."
-- Both Coker and Sims will play in this game. Saban said he doesn't know how and says he won't tells us when he does."
-- Asked about defensive line getting pressure on QB, Saban mentions breakdowns at LB and secondary. "We have a lot to improve on defensively all the way around."
-- "I'm not disappointed. It is what it is. This is where we are. This is the starting point."
-- Saban mentions different formations West Virginia used flustered Reggie Ragland and Reuben Foster but both played better in the second half.
-- "They're all going to benefit tremendously from that experience."
-- On Cam Robinson: Says he did a really good job considering the circumstances. Mentions things he could do better, mental errors but is really encouraged.
-- "Both the guys at right guard played OK."
-- Saban says WVU's explosive plays were a combination of mental and physical issues.
-- "It's not one particular thing. Most of it was created not by lack of knowledge or ability, but by confusion."
-- "If everybody does it wrong, it's right."
-- "When you really have a huge issue is when the guys up front are doing it one way and the guys in the back are doing it the other ... that happened a couple of times."
-- "It really wasn't until halftime until we had the sort of calm amid the chaos."
-- Geno Smith and Maurice Smith are options at Star with Williams out.
-- Saban said Alabama will start "investing some reps" in Eddie Jackson this week. Jackson's been cleared by doctors to play and says he's ready.
-- Saban on long drives: "They want to go fast. If we have the ball, they can't do that."
-- "Our offensive line controlled the line of scrimmage."
-- On using Yeldon and Henry: Went as planned. Saban said Kenyan Drake will be used more in future. Situations didn't present themselves this week.
-- "I like how both of those guys played. As long as we can keep them healthy and if they stay healthy, that's how we plan on use them."
-- "We're not where we need to be and we're not the team we could be."
-- First Michael Jordan reference of the season. Saban said players should approach every game the same no matter who the opponent is.
-- On Kiffin on sidelines: "If he wasn't on the sidelines, we would have had a lot of issues."
-- "That was critical."
-- Saban said decision for Kiffin to be on sidelines was made two weeks ago. "It was practiced."
-- "Lane did a really good job and the whole offensive staff did a good job of getting the information."

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: Saban thoughts on WV game and game against FAU

I 'm happy to hear lot of positives on our team. I was right about the QB competition not being over.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

If CNS has been shooting straight about Coker being behind Sims because he's behind on understanding the offense, then it makes sense that he still wants Coker to get some playing time as he gets more comfortable in the system.

Sims did fine, but could Coker possibly be better (when he gets it between the ears)? Apparently CNS wants to find this out too.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

If CNS has been shooting straight about Coker being behind Sims because he's behind on understanding the offense, then it makes sense that he still wants Coker to get some playing time as he gets more comfortable in the system.

Sims did fine, but could Coker possibly be better (when he gets it between the ears)? Apparently CNS wants to find this out too.
We should be able to get a good comparison of the two QB next Saturday. I would expect to see more improvement on Sims part. He has that 1st start behind him, now he can settle in and run the offense.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

Saban on long drives: "They want to go fast. If we have the ball, they can't do that."

How to beat the HUNH? This ^^^
exactly. Part of me thinks this is one of the reasons Saban went with Kiffin. Kiffin comes from a west coast offensive philosophy which is a lot of dinks and dunks in the passing game. Those small gains CAN get turned into big plays with explosive athletes (DeAndrew's awesome run after catch), but the offense is meant to be methodical down the field (create a lot of second/third and shorts) some long-developing route. Those drives eat clock and keep your defense fresh.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

exactly. Part of me thinks this is one of the reasons Saban went with Kiffin. Kiffin comes from a west coast offensive philosophy which is a lot of dinks and dunks in the passing game. Those small gains CAN get turned into big plays with explosive athletes (DeAndrew's awesome run after catch), but the offense is meant to be methodical down the field (create a lot of second/third and shorts) some long-developing route. Those drives eat clock and keep your defense fresh.
Nah, it couldn't be that. It's clearly because Blake Sims has no long ball. :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Nah, it couldn't be that. It's clearly because Blake Sims has no long ball. :)
Well, it does change the offense that Sims doesn't seem to have the mid-range ball - which worries me more - that we could see on Saturday. The one long ball he did throw and which White dropped, I assign to White having to stand there on the five, waiting for it to come down, while developing a case of nerves... :D

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

Well, it does change the offense that Sims doesn't seem to have the mid-range ball - which worries me more - that we could see on Saturday. The one long ball he did throw and which White dropped, I assign to White having to stand there on the five, waiting for it to come down, while developing a case of nerves... :D
Wasn't that Christion, Earle?

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

probably. I thought Jones might call a fair catch;).

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014

CNS seems calm and confident. He likes where we're at and sounds pretty sure our problems are fixable. That's got to make you feel good. Sounds like what happened was exactly what he thought was going to happen, and if he's still smiling, that means he has a plan.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

actually , listening to the presser, I am not that concerned about the HUNH. it explained a lot of confusion concerns on D that I had.

Last edited:

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

I don't think we've seen enough to know whether he does or not. CJ dropped another 15 - 17 yrd pass with about 9 mins to go in the that would have given us first and goal. That ball was on a rope and CJ just dropped it. CJ nearly muffed a punt too as well, so I'm not sure what was going on with him Sat night.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.