**Week 2 (9/1/14) Presser Highlights***

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Re: Saban thoughts on WV game and game against FAU

exactly. Part of me thinks this is one of the reasons Saban went with Kiffin. Kiffin comes from a west coast offensive philosophy which is a lot of dinks and dunks in the passing game. Those small gains CAN get turned into big plays with explosive athletes (DeAndrew's awesome run after catch), but the offense is meant to be methodical down the field (create a lot of second/third and shorts) some long-developing route. Those drives eat clock and keep your defense fresh.

...and wears on the opponents' defense.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

-- Saban mentions different formations West Virginia used flustered Reggie Ragland and Reuben Foster but both played better in the second half.
Reuben Foster missed a sure play behind the LOS because he had his head down which I thought they were working to correct. He's not going to make it through a college career much less the pro's if he doesn't get that corrected. I don't know how he made it through HS.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Media members tweeting Eddie Jackson was taking first team reps over Bradley Sylve today.

@marctorrence Eddie Jackson looked like he replaced Bradley Sylve in a first-team Nickel drill today. Geno Smith at Star DePriest back at MLB.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

exactly. Part of me thinks this is one of the reasons Saban went with Kiffin. Kiffin comes from a west coast offensive philosophy which is a lot of dinks and dunks in the passing game. Those small gains CAN get turned into big plays with explosive athletes (DeAndrew's awesome run after catch), but the offense is meant to be methodical down the field (create a lot of second/third and shorts) some long-developing route. Those drives eat clock and keep your defense fresh.
Very well put.

buzzman

3rd Team
Jan 18, 2014
Madison, AL

I always thought the West Coast offense was good for college teams. Spreads the defense sideline to sideline and doesn't "require" a big arm QB. I remember Homer Smith with Gary Hollingsworth who seemed to totally get the offense. Still remember that Ole Miss game when we came back from being down 21 points to score 63 IIRC. I think Curry finally turned Homer lose with it. When Stallings came in they tried to throw it down the field more and it just didn't work as well for Hollingsworth.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Heard EJ is already with the ones and that they are practicing ZR handoffs a bit in the viewing period.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Saban updates from SEC teleconference:

Nick Saban, on SEC teleconference, says Eddie Jackson has done well in practice. "I feel like we'll play him some in this game"
Saban says CB Eddie Jackson's responded well to reps in practice this week and will play Saturday in some fashion.
Saban says not having DePriest created "a little confusion" playing the no-huddle.
Saban: "We still have a competition at the position (quarterback)."
Saban: Regardless of how the QB situation works out long-term, you always want to have another guy who's ready to play when necessary.
Saban confirms that LB Trey DePriest will be back on Saturday. "He made a mistake, paid for it and is available to play."

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Wednesday practice report

Alabama had a number of players shadowing and working in different spots as it worked through its dime defense. This is what happens when a player as valuable and versatile as Jarrick Williams goes down with an injury.

Freshman Laurence "Hootie" Jones was shadowing Nick Perry at one of the safety spots. Jabriel Washington and Reggie Ragland were both working at Money while Geno Smith was at Star. Eddie Jackson and Cyrus Jones were the corners.
Saban and a few players will meet with the media after practice.

Here's BOL's practice report

Sophomore defensive lineman A'Shawn Robinson made his voice heard at practice, as he yelled at freshman Josh Frazier on Wednesday. Robinson made the freshman redo a drill because he didn't like the way it looked the first time.

Robinson, D.J. Pettway, Brandon Ivory and Jonathan Allen led the defensive linemen through individual drills. The rest of the guys behind them lined up in groups of three.

New offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin was also vocal during Wednesday's practice. He yelled at running back Derrick Henry from across the field.

"Stop walking, Derrick Henry," Kiffin said. "That's three drills in a row you've walked in."

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.