CFB Live-"Alabama is the most overrated team in the country."

tidefan23

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2004
Hoover, AL
I don't understand many of our fans. They pointed out how bad the aTm defense was against USCe and that aTm will never be an uppertier team in the SEC without a defense. After giving up essentially the same number of yards (not including many receiver drops), those exact same fans made all kinds of excuses about Bama. Bottom line we played terrible on defense and we don't deserve the #2 spot unless we improve. I know last year's team is entirely different, but that's 3 games in a row that our defense didn't play to Bama stds. We will lose 2 or 3 games if we don't improve.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Why does Danny Doody (Kanell) dislike Alabama so much?
Kanell doesn't just hate us, he hates the whole SEC.

He's also a clueless moron.

He also said Saban walked into a better situation that Bowden.

"I think you have to be look at what Saban inherited," Kanell said. "He came into a rich traditional program that had a strong history. When Bobby Bowden took over Florida State, it wasn't that far removed from being an all-girls school.

Florida State started playing big-time in football in 1954. Bowden got there in 1976. In 1964, FSU went 9-1-1 and beat Oklahoma in a bowl game. OKLAHOMA!!! They beat Florida with greater ease than the 1964 national champs (Alabama) beat that same Florida team.

I'll grant the basic history of the two schools is not comparable, but let's not pretend Bowden started over in the spirit of "We Are Marshall." The school had had some success through the years. And when Saban came on board, we were coming off the second most crippling probation in NCAA history, three losing seasons in the previous four years in a conference at its most competitive ever and heading on a historic run.

Bowden avoided the SEC when it came calling in 1990.

I understand Kanell feeling pride for having played for Bowden, but cheap shotting Saban only makes him look like a clown.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
just watched that. Galloway and Kannell seemed like 2 people that have waited for years to finally have something negative to say about Bama. And they made it count. Some of the things they said were full of Venom, wait until next week when Bama squeaks by FAU. Bama fans need thick skins, cause more is coming. which I like. We have the perfect coach to give everyone a big ole 'I told you so'

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

"I think you have to be look at what Saban inherited," Kanell said. "He came into a rich traditional program that had a strong history. When Bobby Bowden took over Florida State, it wasn't that far removed from being an all-girls school.

Florida State started playing big-time in football in 1954. Bowden got there in 1976. In 1964, FSU went 9-1-1 and beat Oklahoma in a bowl game. OKLAHOMA!!! They beat Florida with greater ease than the 1964 national champs (Alabama) beat that same Florida team.

I'll grant the basic history of the two schools is not comparable, but let's not pretend Bowden started over in the spirit of "We Are Marshall." The school had had some success through the years. And when Saban came on board, we were coming off the second most crippling probation in NCAA history, three losing seasons in the previous four years in a conference at its most competitive ever and heading on a historic run.

I understand Kanell feeling pride for having played for Bowden, but cheap shotting Saban only makes him look like a clown.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Bowden was Miami's punching bag from Jimmie til the last butch Davis recruited team and Miami before Howard was actually in worst situation than both fsu and uf.

Also worth noting that stoops, spurrier, and fat Phil won their only championships against him.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
It's funny...who "over-hyped" Bama and created this perception? The "talking heads" and media in general. Who bought into this perception? A lot of fans around the country, even some Bama fans. Certainly not CNS. In his post game presser he said something to the effect of "you guys (the media)" created this perception, but we (the coaches) knew what the reality was. No, we won't win the SEC west if we play like this the rest of the season. but I'm pretty sure CNS is aware of what needs to be worked on most. ;) It's better to get a ten point win over WVU and know where you stand, than get a fifty point win in a glorified scrimmage and still be in the dark. JMO

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
The same people who get worked up about what somebody says on ESPN are the same people who lose their cool on this board when someone has a different opinion. I wonder how those people are able to interact with coworkers, friends, family etc. You can learn something from people who have a different opinion..
You're absolutely correct about that. I had a different opinion than you about the QB situation, and you learned who the starting Quarterback will be :)
Life is good :)
sip

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Yeah - Great sports writers in history ... like Michael Ventre

----------------------------
"Miami will blow away Alabama"
Los Angeles Daily News article by Michael Ventre
Jan. 1, 1993

NEW ORLEANS -- Miami is No. 1. It will stay that way. Alabama doesn't have a hope, or a prayer, or a shot in the dark of upsetting the Hurricanes for the national championship in tonight's Sugar Bowl. And it won't even be close. Alabama will be trounced, clobbered, mauled, devastated, humiliated and left for dead. The Crimson Tide will not roll, not even a little bit. Tonight you will experience low Tide. Probably even ebb Tide. You wouldn't even have to hike up your pant legs to wade in what be left of this Tide after the Hurricanes pass through. Here are the reasons why:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Selma, I'll give him the Bowden opinion. When he took over at FSU they were absolutely horrific, with no tradition and no hope at all. They had never done anything.
He turned that program around as good as any coach ever has.
I still think if we had hired Bowden in 1985, when he craved the job, we might have won ten national championships and he might still be coaching lol...
Coach Saban has done an incredible job, but yes, Coach Bowden had a bigger mountain to climb.
Just my opinion..
sip

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Selma, I'll give him the Bowden opinion. When he took over at FSU they were absolutely horrific, with no tradition and no hope at all. They had never done anything.
I still think if we had hired Bowden in 1985, when he craved the job, we might have won ten national championships and he might still be coaching lol...
Coach Saban has done an incredible job, but yes, Coach Bowden had a bigger mountain to climb.
Just my opinion..
sip
Idk. he would've had to beat miami quiet few times in the 80s and early 90s which he had a very hard time with them. I also think there is no chance he would've beaten Osborn in 95 thru 97 seasons, and then he would've had to deal with saban stoops and Carroll so I don't see more than 3 nattys but he would've gotten twice as many sec championship than stallings curry and dubose combined.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Idk. he would've had to beat miami quiet few times in the 80s and early 90s which he had a very hard time with them. I also think there is no chance he would've beaten Osborn in the 90s, and then he would've had to deal with saban stoops and Carroll so I don't see more than 3 nattys but he would've gotten twice as many sec championship than stallings curry and dubose combined.
He was a very very good coach and is a pretty good man all the way around.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I think that our "bias" toward Bama should be expected. This is, after all, an Alabama board. While most of us want to be fair in the assessment of our team and other teams, there is some inherent bias built into our fandom.

The problem I have with Howdy Doody and Galloway is that they aren't posting on the FSU message board or leading a pep rally at tOSU. They are talking heads on the four letter network. You're going to tell me their respective schools weren't, at the very least, as under-whelming in their season openers as Bama was against UWV? Give me a break.....

How is it that they can see the splinter in another's eye when they have a big old log sitting in their own eye?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You're absolutely correct about that. I had a different opinion than you about the QB situation, and you learned who the starting Quarterback will be :)
Life is good :)
sip
You just made my point. Your life be going good has to do with you being correct on a football message board. You were banned from this board for losing your cool and cursing at me over football. Get some life prospective..

You must have a guilty conscience as you are the only one who quoted that post and responded to it..:):)

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Just my opinion..
sip
Sip,

I'm not arguing that Bowden did not do an outstanding job - he did. I'm not arguing that Alabama's tradition is not STRONGER than FSU's - it most certainly is.

Except, well, that tradition only goes so far. It sure didn't help Mike Dubious or Mike Shula now, did it? Kanell wants to make it sound like Coach Bryant retired and Saban walked right into a custom made spot.

That's all I'm saying. Saban inherited a program at its lowest point in fifty years. He didn't inherit the 1970s Alabama teams.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Part of my enjoy football again campaign is to not watch these kinds of shows anymore. There's no point to them, the opinions of the guys are irrelevant, and they tell you nothing interesting about the teams or the game itself. It's like all the talking heads projecting the final four after the first week. What a gigantic waste of time.

^^^^^^^Times 50 (at least if you are saying that I think you are saying....) :biggrin:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Yeah, saying that and then defending Free Shoes U is about as blatantly biased as you can get and shows just what that clown is....a tool.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.