CFB Live-"Alabama is the most overrated team in the country."

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The same people who get worked up about what somebody says on ESPN are the same people who lose their cool on this board when someone has a different opinion. I wonder how those people are able to interact with coworkers, friends, family etc. You can learn something from people who have a different opinion..
We needed a distraction from all the anti-Blake Sims QB talk. Trust me, I couldn't care less what these idiots think as I'm certain most people on this board really do not care. Trust me, I'm not sitting here fuming throwing stuff all over the house. It is fun to point out their hypocrisy and make fun of them.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Sip,

I'm not arguing that Bowden did not do an outstanding job - he did. I'm not arguing that Alabama's tradition is not STRONGER than FSU's - it most certainly is.

Except, well, that tradition only goes so far. It sure didn't help Mike Dubious or Mike Shula now, did it? Kanell wants to make it sound like Coach Bryant retired and Saban walked right into a custom made spot.

That's all I'm saying. Saban inherited a program at its lowest point in fifty years. He didn't inherit the 1970s Alabama teams.
That's true indeed.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Kanell and Galloway in particular could take some sportscaster lessons from Rece Davis. I don't know how long he'd been on before I knew he was an Alabama alum.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Selma, I'll give him the Bowden opinion. When he took over at FSU they were absolutely horrific, with no tradition and no hope at all. They had never done anything.
He turned that program around as good as any coach ever has.
I still think if we had hired Bowden in 1985, when he craved the job, we might have won ten national championships and he might still be coaching lol...
Coach Saban has done an incredible job, but yes, Coach Bowden had a bigger mountain to climb.
Just my opinion..
sip
Well, it took Bowden quite a while to climb that mountain. If someone deserves kudos for creating a program from nothing you'd have to point to Howard Schnellenberger or maybe even George O'Leary.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We aren't the #2 team in the nation but I don't really care. Win and advance...stay in the SEC title discussion...make the playoffs...anything can happen.

All this conjecture doesn't matter anymore.

jwp3d

Scout Team
Nov 3, 2010
Part of the problem with evaluating the first game is that no one knows at this point how good or bad their competition is. It may turn out that W. Virginia is better than everyone thinks. Last Year Oklahoma just beat the 4-8 W. Virginia team 16-7 but they ended up beating us in the Sugar.

How good or bad is S. Carolina? If S. Carolina loses to E. Carolina this week then the A&M win does not look as good. Let's let it all play out.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well, it took Bowden quite a while to climb that mountain. If someone deserves kudos for creating a program from nothing you'd have to point to Howard Schnellenberger or maybe even George O'Leary.
^^^this^^^. I think Bowden was great,but it feels like people like schnellenberger and spurrier did more with less wins and nattys than Bowden. Bowden really took advantage of Ericsson having a down year after 92 .

I don't know why Danny makes the statements about saban and the bear when they won more nattys and revived 3 different programs and making them very elite.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
IMO - one of the great tragedies of the 24 hour news cycle we have in America is it has minimized the talent that is out there at actually doing good reporting - the Walter Cronkite type.

ESPN and their plethora of networks has done the same to football analysis. You have to fill the time somehow, so instead of legitimately talented guys like Rece Davis, Blackledge, Fowler, Herbstriet, etc - you have a bunch of second rate guys who fill time. Their opinion is worthless, but because they're given a mouthpiece people think they're good at what they're doing.

I'm not one of the guys who thinks that every time someone doesn't anoint us Kings on their show that they suck - I just think the constant coverage has really watered down the talent level. Block everything else out - talking good OR bad about us - and pay attention to the guys who know what they're talking about. Your sanity will be much better for it, IMO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Then perhaps you should look in the mirror and tell yourself to stop being so unhappy because you were totally and absolutely wrong about projecting Jake Coker as the hands down, no contest winner of the QB competition, over the Blake Sims that you criticized and criticized.
I'm not basing my happiness on being right on this board, but you sure as heck are acting mighty unhappy because I was.
I ask again, I got suspended for defending Norwood against people saying he was an average receiver.
So what do you think of your opinion now?
Simple question.
sip
Let it go

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
I agree with some on the anti-ESPN talking heads sentiment. If brains were gunpowder, they wouldn't have enough to blow their nose. However, I wasn't impressed with our performance against the 'eers. I can see how people would say we are overrated.

I don't think there is a better backfield in the country. We had a pretty good OL performance minus the 3 penalties by one player. Sims made some throws and botched some throws. We had some drops at receiver, too (the hot air balloon to Jones on the 5 yard line). Our defense looked confused most of the first half. Giving up only six points in the 2nd half isn't bad.

Truthfully, I was expecting a more sound performance against the HUNH this year. Maybe holding a team under 400 total yards is the new standard for defense now.

pbearbryant

Scout Team
Nov 2, 2007
We may be overrated. But, we still have arguably the best coach in the game. He has won 3 national championship at Alabama and was one game away twice from playing for two more (Florida and Auburn). Let them talk it is what their paid to do. I for one trust Saban he is proven

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If I'm 100% honest I didn't think we should have been the #2 team to begin the season. However, I couldn't find anything to be impressed with from any other teams except Todd Gurley and Texas A&M's offense.

FSU looked average. Auburn struggled for a half against a 3 win team. South Carolina wet the bed. Ohio State struggled. We'll be fine.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
If you didn't play anybody and whooped them then the talking heads think you're as good as they remember - and they remember teams at the end of the year after a full season of playing games. If you played somebody decent week 1, people judge you by your performance that week - the first game of the year. Of course you look worse compared to a team the media remembers was beating everyone and is a well tuned machine... even if "that" team has proven absolutely nothing this year.

tru2thaduce

All-SEC
Nov 25, 2005
Wichita,Kansas
Maybe,just maybe West Virginia is better than most people thought they would be.I have heard no one giving WVA any credit for playing better than expected.Just that Bama isn't all that good.if West Virginia wins 8 games or so then everything looks different.In the no D big 12 they may Suprise some people.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Yes, TO ALL TEAMS IN AMERICA (and your fans) ALABAMA is the most over rated team in college football and you should not waste any time preparing for your game with us. Just mail it in.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Folks, the talking heads are saying and doing what their doing for RATINGS....and people fall for it by writing in and blogs and such,...they have no idea from one week to the next what's gonna transpire...I don't watch them...buncha idiots in my opinon...And also in my opinion, WV is a good FB team and will be ranked in the top 12 by the end of the year....Let"s see if I'm right or havta eat crow.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Maybe,just maybe West Virginia is better than most people thought they would be.I have heard no one giving WVA any credit for playing better than expected.Just that Bama isn't all that good.if West Virginia wins 8 games or so then everything looks different.In the no D big 12 they may Suprise some people.
WVU's offense was ranked 4th in 2011, 10th in 2012. Holgerson's offense was ranked 3rd in 2010 at OSU. He didn't forget how to coach offense last year. They had a ton of injuries and turnovers last year. I honestly don't believe they will lose 8 games this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.