CFB Live-"Alabama is the most overrated team in the country."

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
If "Overrated" keeps winning us NC's, so be it, call us "Overrated" if it makes them sleep better at night or it gets opposing fans to read their articles & we will keep on building new display cases for the NC's we will keep on winning..I don't know bout y'all..I'm good with that..

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
With apologies to Bama, I sat through the fiasco in Columbia Thursday, and that USC team played more like the 9th best team in the SEC than the 9th best team in the Nation. I'll go with the a Gamecocks as the current "most overrated" team at this early point in the season.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Between 1958 and 1982, I can remember saying many times that if Bama was the #1 team in the country then CFB was in trouble. Coach Bryant probably would have agreed with me.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind,
You don't pull the mask off the ole Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Sip....

Doot de dee doot doot do doot dah do doot do

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
West Virginia was 4-8 last year but they beat
Oklahoma State by nine, which is three more than FSU beat them.
If a 37-31 win against an average team is impressive then I guess I should be impressed, but I'm not.
To call Bama the most over rated team in America after just one week is ridiculous.
It ruffles some feathers and gets some attention, but it's also the reason that you won't see Kanell and Galloway doing color in the prime time games. A buncha noise but no substance.
sip
An Kanell is trying to become Finebaum or Cowherd Jr. by saying ridiculous things. That's what ESPN has these guys doing now. Stir the pot and poke the cage of the big boys.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011
sounds like they had pretty appropriate comments to me. with the way we looked and the way fsu looked if we're the two best teams in the nation right now it's a really down year in college football. that being said, it's one game and these folks need something to talk about to produce 7+ page threads on tidefans

mission accomplished :)

-

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
With the exception of 2008 and 2012, when have we ever looked all that hot in a season opener? And consider this, even in 2008 (when we destroyed Clemson) and in 2012 (when we destroyed Michigan) what happened the VERY next week? We did not look good. See Tulane 2008 and Western Kentucky 2012. Now, don't be too surprised if we look sloppy the next two weeks. It will be tough for these guys to get up for Florida Atlantic and Southern Miss. But, hold onto your hats come September 20th. :)

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I agree that it is all about ratings for these guys. The more controversial they are the bigger the opportunity. These are guys trying to get on the same level as Herbstreit, Corso, and the other "big boys". Bama didn't look great, but how much did they mention the fact that Depriest and Jackson were out, The fact that the ILB's had never started, and that we were breaking in a CB and Safety? I bet not much.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
like or dislike their comments, does anyone on this board believe that our performance on Saturday was deserving of a #2 national ranking?

before the season started I thought #2 was too high, and after Saturday I'd say the same...we should be ranked somewhere in the bottom half of the top-10.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
like or dislike their comments, does anyone on this board believe that our performance on Saturday was deserving of a #2 national ranking?

before the season started I thought #2 was too high, and after Saturday I'd say the same...we should be ranked somewhere in the bottom half of the top-10.
With the unknowns on this team I tend to agree with you. Bama's replacing a three year QB, CB's, both safeties, LB's, and some pretty good Offensive Linemen. They may develop into on of the top four teams. Talk to me Oct. 5th after the Ole Sis game.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Why on earth should that performance alone dictate rankings? Alabama has a track record to demonstrate that they deserve a high ranking. Surely, UCLA and Ohio State have done far less, so who would you rank ahead of Alabama? It's easy enough to argue FSU looked worse than Alabama, so why do I see people defend their high ranking? Also, what rank would you have given Alabama last year after they managed only 14 points of offense against Virginia Tech?

I tend to agree that ratings at this point mean very little, and this top 4 nonsense I keep seeing is very irritating, but I don't get the idea that you move a team into the top 4 (like Georgia or Texas A&M) on the basis of one great game. I think we have a lot more to go off of than just a single performance... We don't know if Alabama is the #1, #2, etc... team right now. But, Alabama is a far safer bet than a lot of these other teams.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Why on earth should that performance alone dictate rankings? Alabama has a track record to demonstrate that they deserve a high ranking. Surely, UCLA and Ohio State have done far less, so who would you rank ahead of Alabama? It's easy enough to argue FSU looked worse than Alabama, so why do I see people defend their high ranking? Also, what rank would you have given Alabama last year after they managed only 14 points of offense against Virginia Tech?

I tend to agree that ratings at this point mean very little, and this top 4 nonsense I keep seeing is very irritating, but I don't get the idea that you move a team into the top 4 (like Georgia or Texas A&M) on the basis of one great game. I think we have a lot more to go off of than just a single performance... We don't know if Alabama is the #1, #2, etc... team right now. But, Alabama is a far safer bet than a lot of these other teams.
did I say that Saturday's performance alone should dictate rankings?

I'm pretty sure I made it clear that I didn't think we should be ranked so high before the season. Saturday simply confirmed my views.

moreover, did I mention anything about where ucla or ohio state should be ranked?

did I say anything about FSU?

good grief...we've reached this point after the first game of the season?

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I for one do watch some of those shows. Kind of a driving by a wreck thing I guess. They hype teams up then they tear them down. They hype players up then find their flaws. They have to have something to talk about so they just keep talking. Every once in awhile you get an opinion that gives you some insight.

I mentioned this recently, but I remember how excited I was when Alabama "earned" the number 1 ranking under Saban. Finally being back in the conversation was an awesome feeling. It doesn't matter what they are saying about our team as long as they are in the conversation and the players are listening to the coaches instead of them.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
did I say that Saturday's performance alone should dictate rankings?

I'm pretty sure I made it clear that I didn't think we should be ranked so high before the season. Saturday simply confirmed my views.

moreover, did I mention anything about where ucla or ohio state should be ranked?

did I say anything about FSU?

good grief...we've reached this point after the first game of the season?
You have a lot of questions, I have one. What is your top 5?

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Preseason rankings are in part a guess.

Not piling on Jess, because no one saw it coming, and pretty much everyone else agreed (including me), but he had preseason 2012 TAMU ranked as having the worst QB unit in the SEC.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If you think the talking heads were bad this past weekend wait until this week with the ND vs Michigan hype. They will have the winner being one of the four already.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
We are possibly ranked too high, but who knows at this point in the season? They say we are overrated just about every year, including last year, when seemingly every pundit out there droned on endlessly about out defensive deficiencies, and how somebody was going to upset us - Ole Miss, Miss. St., LSU, blah blah blah. Well it didn't happen until the last game of the season and only then by a team that played for the national title. We are ranked highly because of our track record and because as long as Saban is there we are generally going to be right there in the thick of the championship discussion at the end of just about every season. Think about this:

2007 - Saban's first year of "the process" => 7-6, won Independence Bowl
2008 => 12-2, about 1 quarter and 1 "horse collar" tackle away from playing for a national title
2009 => 14-0, won SEC and BCS, Heisman
2010 => 10-3, losses to S. Carolina (once-in-a-lifetime game by Garcia), LSU (always a tough out), and AU (BCS champs with one-and-done Heisman winner Cam Newton)
2011 => 12-1, won BCS, won the revenge game 21-0 against an LSU team on the verge of being called the greatest ever (who only scored 6 on us in the first game loss)
2012 => 13-1, won SEC and BCS, only loss to Heisman-winner Manziel
2013 => 11-2, undefeated until AU game, where one more first down probably puts us in the BCS title game again (instead AU plays for the title in our place)

Bottom line is that since Saban has been in Titletown, it usually takes a monumentally heroic performance, once-in-a-decade type player, BCS title run team, or the like to knock us out of the race. There's a good reason we are always ranked in the Top 5 preseason, because we usually end up there at the end.

Look, as long as Saban's there this is going to be the deal. We are going to be ranked highly pre-season, maybe higher than we are comfortable with. They are going to call us overrated almost every year. And almost every year, they are going to be wrong.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.