Bama stays at #2 in latest Coach's Poll

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
After watching football this weekend there shouldn't be ANY rankings until October. It makes no sense to put a ranking on a team based on last year. This year's team for EVERYBODY isn't the same team as last year. It is a totally different team. Makes no sense.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
After watching football this weekend there shouldn't be ANY rankings until October. It makes no sense to put a ranking on a team based on last year. This year's team for EVERYBODY isn't the same team as last year. It is a totally different team. Makes no sense.
Buzzard I have always said that the polls are the best way to rate the teams, with one condition....
Let the teams play five games before the first poll is released.
That way writers and coaches alike have an objective body of work to compare before they vote.
So I agree. I have never understood the purpose of preseason polls other than to create excitement and controversy I guess.
sip

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I partly agree but it's one extra fun aspect to debate. Plus I've always looked at it as 50% based on last year and 50% based on the perception of what you have this year. Then week by week the %'s shift until your are left with everything 100% based on this years' resume....more or less.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Buzzard I have always said that the polls are the best way to rate the teams, with one condition....
Let the teams play five games before the first poll is released.
That way writers and coaches alike have an objective body of work to compare before they vote.
So I agree. I have never understood the purpose of preseason polls other than to create excitement and controversy I guess.
sip
I can see why Saban gets so upset over it. Here we have the writers rank teams based off of last year then get mad and criticize the team when they don't live up to the rankings THEY gave them. It seems to me the team didn't miss the mark but the ones assigning the rankings did. If we would wait until there is a body of work to go by it would be more accurate.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Oh and the main thing that stood out to me....HOW is A&M not ranked a spot or two above LSU???? The Aggies ran previous #9 Scar off the field on the road and LSU barely escaped #14 Wisky. Mind numbing stuff there.

I'd say UGA is undervalued at #8 as well. Gurley makes them extremely dangerous to anybody....that dude...I mean dang you gotta admit he's easily the best college player right now....or at least the best offensive weapon.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Well, to be fair, the rankings that matter don't come out until October. The other polls are just for "entertainment purposes." I mean, we can't outlaw anyone from making rankings.
Prediction: Michigan State will be #4 at this time next week.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
People keep saying the polls don't matter, but I guarantee that the top three teams in the polls at the end will be in the playoff.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/polls/

Top 10

1 FSU
2 Bama
3 Oklahoma
4 Oregon
5 Auburn
6 Mich St
7 Ohio St
8 Georgia
9 Baylor
10 Stanford

Rest of the SEC

12 LSU
13 TAMU
17 Ole Miss
21 South Carolina
22 Mizzou
Here is my top 10 right now based on what I have seen -
1 FSU
2 Georgia
3 Alabama
4 Auburn
5 Oklahoma
6 Oregon
7 Texas A&M
8 Baylor
9 Michigan St
10 Stanford
13 Ohio State

I also think Ole Miss is overvalued at 17 - probably should be ranked somewhere between 20-25. South Carolina imo probably should have been shuffled out of the top 25 for now as well.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
AP poll is out and we were 4 points from dropping to #3 behind Oregon. The Top 10 AP is way more accurate than the coaches right now imho. I'm on my iPhone or I'd link the poll.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Oh and the main thing that stood out to me....HOW is A&M not ranked a spot or two above LSU???? The Aggies ran previous #9 Scar off the field on the road and LSU barely escaped #14 Wisky. Mind numbing stuff there.

I'd say UGA is undervalued at #8 as well. Gurley makes them extremely dangerous to anybody....that dude...I mean dang you gotta admit he's easily the best college player right now....or at least the best offensive weapon.
I agree Gurley is good. Georgia may be pretty good this year but we've all seen Clemson get blown out of games even when they were supposed to be good. As for TAMU, IF USCe is as bad as they looked they may vie for the worst team in the SEC this year. We'll know after they play Vandy on 09/20/2014.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.