Pearl lighting it up.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
Let me make a few clarifications first, so people know where I am coming from.

I was never a pear fan, he is one of those fake hooray guys, tricks good players into coming to his school that way (see the most recent fb coach at auburn). I thought last year's tenn. team was the best they put on the court since bert and ernie.

I also have watched every Bama basketball game for the last several years, and can honestly say our guy knows what he is doing IMHO. He really is a high IQ coach, and someone in love with aggressive defense (sometimes to a fault). He honestly had a few bad breaks with kids-injuries, and in basketball, one kid is a huge deal. Lastly I think our team this year is poised to be a breakout team.

All that being said, Pearl is tearing it up on the AUB recuriting trail, and I am concerned he is winning in state kids. Any thoughts? heard anything at your local high schools about what is going on?

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I hate it, but he will win there. Maybe not take-the-NCAA-tourney-by-storm win, but he'll win.

I don't think Coach Grant getting on Twitter recently is a coincidence either. I know CAG works hard, but maybe this will push him to work even harder.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yep if this didn't open Coach Grant's eyes nothing will. Like him or not Pearl just fired the first shot, hopefully we can beat them on the court to shut them up. Like him or not he has brought some pretty good talent to the barn in a short amount of time.

Philippines

Scout Team
Feb 9, 2014
Birmingham, AL
Good points by all. I honestly am not qualified to comment on Pearl's coaching talents, but I am familiar with his infractions history and less publicized personal issues. Given Auburn's history of academic standards for athletics .. this should be a match made in Heaven. We can anticipate an upswing in their program; but he will soon abandon them for a better basketball school.

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL
He's cheated everywhere he's been, so it won't be long he will be caught cheating at the Cheating Capital of the United States. Even with success at AU, he won't be there long due to the fact that a better job will open up soon and he'll jump at it.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
It is worth mentioning that UT was not a upper tier job either, not even an upper tier job in the SEC.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not unless the school that takes him wants to pony up some major cash up front to get him.
I remember his buyout was ridiculous but couldn't remember the exact amount. He'll be in Auburn for several years unless he gets caught doing something.

Pearl's six-year, $14.7 million deal includes $250,000 in base salary, and $975,000 in both endorsement rights and media appearances, with increases of $50,000 annually in both. He received a one-time signing bonus of $500,000.

Pearl can earn any of 16 performance bonuses ranging from $25,000 (20 victories or nine SEC wins in first two seasons, or 22 wins, 25 wins or an NIT Championship) to $200,000 for an NCAA national championship. There are standard academic-related bonuses for Pearl as well.

There is a clause relating to Pearl's assistants that states "No person shall be announced or employed as an assistant basketball coach until a favorable clearance from the NCAA and SEC has first been obtained" by athletics director Jay Jacobs.

There are several clauses in Pearl's 35-page contract, which he signed May 12, including a provision were he to violate his NCAA show-cause penalty, in which case Pearl would owe Auburn $500,000.

Pearl's buyout is for 50 percent of his remaining compensation, less any offsetting income he were to earn during the remainder of his term.

Should Pearl leave there is a decreasing sum he would owe Auburn, starting at $5,000,000 if he left before April 15, 2016 and decreasing by $1 million annually through 2020, with a final amount of $250,000 if he left after April 15, 2020 but before the end of the term, which runs through June 2020.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Grant cant sell what he is not. Announcing you have a Twitter account nowadays is a pitiful attempt at marketing imo. I'm sorry but seeing the energy behind AU program right now regardless of what is behind it is very troublesome. I look at the body types he is recruiting and I am struggling to think of a player we have on our roster that is similar. This is no doubt a make or break year CAG - as much as I like him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.