Injury Round Up after Week 1

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Some of the injuries that may have a direct influence on the college football playoff:

Baylor starting QB Bryce Petty has two cracked vertebrae. He will play through the injuries it has been described as something that just heals on its own

Texas QB David Ash will miss at least the next game with concussion like symptoms

Wisconsin starting QB Joel Stave is out indefinitely with a sore throwing shoulder and his head coach said that it's best for Stave to "shut it down" and rest

Tennessee senior tackle Jacob Gilliam (a former walk on that scrapped his way up) is done for the season with a torn ACL.

Here's to speedy recoveries for all

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
When I first heard about Bryce Petty I feared the worse for him. 'Cracked Vertebrae' sounds REAL REAL bad. If he's playing through that he's more man than most and maybe a tad crazy.

They would be wise to rest him if they have any cupcakes coming up.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
When I first heard about Bryce Petty I feared the worse for him. 'Cracked Vertebrae' sounds REAL REAL bad. If he's playing through that he's more man than most and maybe a tad crazy.

They would be wise to rest him if they have any cupcakes coming up.
Petty seems to think he will play Saturday

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
'Cracked Vertebrae' sounds REAL REAL bad
This one might not be as bad as it sounds. I had what i think is the same injury about four years ago- its called a pars fracture (mine was just one vertebra though, L5). I got mine from rowing training. If it's a stress fracture it will heal on its own but if it's a 'terminal' fracture (like mine) it will probably not fully heal but can be significantly mitigated with lots of core strength work. Same injury that took out that great Brazilian soccer player during the World Cup earlier this year. Still, I don't know how Petty could possibly play football this season. I could barely walk for two weeks and it was four months of physio before I was able to get back rowing again.

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
I cracked three lumbar vertebrae during the last game of my sophomore year of high school. I was in incredible pain, but when the team orthopedist told me that he was shutting me down, I said "I can't miss the playoffs!" His response was, "Son, you're not just missing the playoffs, you'll never play again," at which point I felt sick (as any of you that played can probably imagine). He went on to say that if I took another hit to the lower back, I could be paralyzed for life, which scared the crap out of 15-year-old me.

Fortunately, a brutal amount of physical therapy and a molded polymer back brace allowed me to play my senior year, so I say all this to say that Bryce Petty's injury must not be that serious. Any compression or hairline fracture is excruciatingly painful, but considering that my cracked vertebrae cost me over a full year of playing time, his must not be that significant if he can simply play through it.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Some of the injuries that may have a direct influence on the college football playoff:

Baylor starting QB Bryce Petty has two cracked vertebrae. He will play through the injuries it has been described as something that just heals on its own

Texas QB David Ash will miss at least the next game with concussion like symptoms

Wisconsin starting QB Joel Stave is out indefinitely with a sore throwing shoulder and his head coach said that it's best for Stave to "shut it down" and rest

Tennessee senior tackle Jacob Gilliam (a former walk on that scrapped his way up) is done for the season with a torn ACL.

Here's to speedy recoveries for all
Didn't he miss time last year with a concussion?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.