Question: Why does Florida State get a free pass? Discussion of the talking heads on the radio.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
After this first week of games and all of the talking heads yacking their jaws, it seems now that the playoff if here, it is even more important to win every game than it was before.

You know there are committee members that are just a stupid and/or biased as some of the media.

If you have a loss, it better be close, it better be early, and it better be to a ranked team, or you aren't going to get in the final 4.

You just gotta win.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Being a sports commentator has good and bad points. It seems like a fun way to make a living, but then try to come up with a new angle on a sports story that hasn't been trotted out many times over the years.

They also have to deal with the reality that no matter what they say, there will be criticism directed at them for saying whatever they said.

Some commentators understand that, and seem to almost embrace it by saying things to maximize the criticism they get. :D

TAKEPRIDE22

2nd Team
Jul 21, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I have been wondering and questioning the same thing...Weren't they supposed to be head and shoulders abover everyone...shouldn't struggle, but here they will by 6, and it's they had a bad game.

I've heard it all today. And to be quite honest with you, I'm sick of the double standard.

Every single radio host talking about college football is singing the same tune; Florida State is still the best team in college football. Even though they struggled to put away an OSU team that was less than stellar last year, they should be given a free pass. Oh, and by the way, Alabama, and every other team that struggled against teams that were not that great last year, is over-rated. Even our own Greg McElroy said even though they struggled, they still took care of business and won by 10. Seriously? So did Alabama.

Can someone give me a good reason why FSU is allowed a free pass after one game while everyone else is slammed? I know I'm over-reacting, but c'mon.

Ah! Controversy already.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
It is simply the eye test. Fl State looks similar to how Bama has looked on D the last 5 or 6 years . They stuff most plays. Even in the OK State game, they were the dominant team. Bama appeared that way even when teams hung close; now it looks like teams are pushing Bama on defense; it isn't just missed assignments or great plays by the opponent. But not so with Fl. State. Even when other team moves the ball it looks difficult; and their offensive line is visibly strong. That is why Bama used to get the pass on the media. Never got pushed around. Always appeared to be the stronger team; even in a loss or close game.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
It is simply the eye test. Fl State looks similar to how Bama has looked on D the last 5 or 6 years . They stuff most plays. Even in the OK State game, they were the dominant team. Bama appeared that way even when teams hung close; now it looks like teams are pushing Bama on defense; it isn't just missed assignments or great plays by the opponent. But not so with Fl. State. Even when other team moves the ball it looks difficult; and their offensive line is visibly strong. That is why Bama used to get the pass on the media. Never got pushed around. Always appeared to be the stronger team; even in a loss or close game.
with the schedule FSU has, it is easy to look like the stronger team....

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
IMO, losing Jeremy Pruitt will cost the Criminoles this year, dearly. How much it helps the 'dawgs will be known Saturday.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Actually, OSU won 10 games last year, so they were pretty good, and Gundy has built a solid program in Stillwater.
If I am not mistaken, didn't OSU lose A LOT of starting linemen from last year's team? I am thinking I heard they lost most or all of their oline starters.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Because they are the defending champions, they have the most electric player in the country right now, and they played a team that is only 2 years removed from being a near championship team. I'm sorry to those who take offense at the reaction to last week, but there is a difference between winning by 6 to Okie lite, and winning by 10 against WVU. I have 0 issues with the National reaction after the games, and it is exactly what I expected to happen.

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
Why does FLA get a free pass......
No real threat to to the BIG BOY'S season from Florida. They wont show much this year.
SO... it would take a team of BAMA's caliber to take a REAL HIT from those powers that be.
I think the NZAA wants to make SEC football more like NASCAR....... Make everyone equal.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If I am not mistaken, didn't OSU lose A LOT of starting linemen from last year's team? I am thinking I heard they lost most or all of their oline starters.
They are really inexperienced and lost a ton of guys. They only returned 6 starters on offense and 4 on defense. Supposedly, they lost 9 offensive starters and 8 defensive starters. I'm not going to try to figure that math out, but supposedly they are one of, if not the most inexperienced team in the NCAA. Struggling against them should worry any good team, especially in their first game.

This quote explains it (and in that article they were ranked as pre-season #50):
"OSU returns just under 55% of last year's lettermen, the fewest of any team in the Football Bowl Subdivision"

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I've heard it all today. And to be quite honest with you, I'm sick of the double standard.

Every single radio host talking about college football is singing the same tune; Florida State is still the best team in college football. Even though they struggled to put away an OSU team that was less than stellar last year, they should be given a free pass. Oh, and by the way, Alabama, and every other team that struggled against teams that were not that great last year, is over-rated. Even our own Greg McElroy said even though they struggled, they still took care of business and won by 10. Seriously? So did Alabama.

Can someone give me a good reason why FSU is allowed a free pass after one game while everyone else is slammed? I know I'm over-reacting, but c'mon.
I'm not a big believer in conspiracies but I've come to the conclusion that some, not all, of the talking heads are trying to use a little PR campaign to keep Alabama out of the playoff picture. If they keep it up long enough and hard enough they think they can convince a few of the selection committee to lower their ranking of Alabama when it all comes out in October.

Okie State was on it's way to going ahead in that game when their QB fumbled. That turned out to be at least a 10 to 14 point turnaround and Okie State still made it competitive with another easy touchdown on their next possession. By all rights Okie State should have won the game 38-30.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Looking at FSU's schedule it appears that UF is their only obstacle in reaching the final 4. Louisville might be able to hang with them but I don't think they can.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The Louisville game is on Thursday night. That has been a no man's land for contenders occasionally.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Keep in mind, yes WVU beat Okie State - but OSU finished with 10 wins last year.

That's where the perception comes in.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.