Question: Why does Florida State get a free pass? Discussion of the talking heads on the radio.

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
I've heard it all today. And to be quite honest with you, I'm sick of the double standard.

Every single radio host talking about college football is singing the same tune; Florida State is still the best team in college football. Even though they struggled to put away an OSU team that was less than stellar last year, they should be given a free pass. Oh, and by the way, Alabama, and every other team that struggled against teams that were not that great last year, is over-rated. Even our own Greg McElroy said even though they struggled, they still took care of business and won by 10. Seriously? So did Alabama.

Can someone give me a good reason why FSU is allowed a free pass after one game while everyone else is slammed? I know I'm over-reacting, but c'mon.

Ah! Controversy already.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
That's true, Florida State was supposed to win by 30 or something, and they won by 6. Their Defense was supposed to be one of the best in the country, they gave up 31, we gave up 16. Jameis had one of the worst games of his career, Sims played a good game. Don't like that double standard.

Bud

3rd Team
Jul 25, 2000
Jacksonville, FL. USA
That's true, Florida State was supposed to win by 30 or something, and they won by 6. Their Defense was supposed to be one of the best in the country, they gave up 31, we gave up 16. Jameis had one of the worst games of his career, Sims played a good game. Don't like that double standard.
Have you ever seen the movie "Mean Girls" or any teen girl movie for that matter...watch them and think ESPN. It's confusing who they like and who they don't. It's a good thing if you ask me that we aren't getting the ESPN love that we have gotten in the past couple of years. Let UGA/FSU/aTm etc deal with those distractions of cameras on campus every week and commentators calling them the next great _________.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I'll have to look over their schedule but with the pressure that's on them and the way they looked there may be an "L" in there somewhere. They are essentially getting the benefit of the doubt treatment we had in 2012 and 2013. It's good to be the defending champ.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I dunno, but, I'm glad that's how the media is handling it..Cause our Boys seems to play better when they're disrespected & we don't have that proverbial X on our back when the media is slobbering over us like they're slobbering over The Criminals at the moment..I like the situation as it is right now..

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I dunno, but, I'm glad that's how the media is handling it..Cause our Boys seems to play better when they're disrespected & we don't have that proverbial X on our back when the media is slobbering over us like they're slobbering over The Criminals at the moment..I like the situation as it is right now..
Yeah, I'll never forget in 2011, we were #2 and #3 the entire season, until we finally beat LSU in the BCSCG.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Florida State's free pass is their whole 2013 schedule + ACCCG. If they lose once, they deserve no spot at the table.

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
I've heard it all today. And to be quite honest with you, I'm sick of the double standard.

Every single radio host talking about college football is singing the same tune; Florida State is still the best team in college football. Even though they struggled to put away an OSU team that was less than stellar last year, they should be given a free pass. Oh, and by the way, Alabama, and every other team that struggled against teams that were not that great last year, is over-rated. Even our own Greg McElroy said even though they struggled, they still took care of business and won by 10. Seriously? So did Alabama.

Can someone give me a good reason why FSU is allowed a free pass after one game while everyone else is slammed? I know I'm over-reacting, but c'mon.

Ah! Controversy already.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

The only thing I can come up with is because they are the defending champs.:conf2:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Actually, OSU won 10 games last year, so they were pretty good, and Gundy has built a solid program in Stillwater. But I do understand the sentiment. FSU is the flavor of the month still, and many on ESPN are trying to turn the page on Bama. I think it most has to do with the QB issue at Bama and the perception Bama can't defend the HUNH.
The two 'experts' on ESPN I actually pay attention to are Luiginbill and Millen. They are the ones to me that actually do thorough film study and it shows. I think it is because Millen evaluated talent in the NFL and Luiginbill evaluates HS talent for ESPN recruiting.
Neither one had Bama or FSU in their top 5 based on the past weeks games. I thought that was fair. Neither team played well. the rest of them seem to have some sort of agenda. It is almost like the king is dead and they are trying to advance their own candidate to take
his place
Brett Mcmurphy is fairly solid as an analyst and had FSU 2 and Bama 4. He also has an AP vote and that is how he voted.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Florida State's free pass is their whole 2013 schedule + ACCCG. If they lose once, they deserve no spot at the table.
I'm tired of people focusing on the out of conference stuff. It's a way for the Big 10 and Pac-12 to pretend they are somehow on par with the SEC, but the SEC averages out to be the toughest conference by a wide margin.

Anyway, FSU has the mighty Citadel coming up, and only have 3 ranked team on their schedule (the top team being #16 Notre Dame, the other two are 23, and 25). By contrast, Alabama has #15, #9, #12, and #5. I don't care about OOC, I don't care about what SoS spits out, you just can't compare those two schedules.

But... it still should be tougher than last year for FSU. Notre Dame is probably overrated, but still better than most teams FSU played last year, Louisville could be an interesting test, Petrino is not a bad coach, and Florida should... well just has to be better this year. If the opener was any indication, FSU won't get away with just blowing out terrible teams this time around (I mean come on, they even got Duke in the championship game), they'll have at least a few decent tests.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Exactly RJ & the fact is we didn't play or look like the #1 team in the country after Week 1, as long as we get better each game, we have the potential to become the best team in college football this year..The rankings in all honesty are spot on after the 1st game..If we are basing who played & looked the best after the 1st game, in actuality, Texas A&M looked like the best team in the country after Week 1..
Yeah, I'll never forget in 2011, we were #2 and #3 the entire season, until we finally beat LSU in the BCSCG.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Maybe more of them watched our game. I can't answer the Florida State question, but I completely understand why people are talking about us. It was probably our least impressive opening game of the Saban era.
Still, though, if we played Florida State on a neutral field tomorrow, money would probably be about even on both sides. However you want to break it down, Florida State and Alabama are still two teams in the elite tier of CFB. It's going to take a lot more than a rusty defense in the first game of the year against a BCS-conference foe on a neutral field with a defensive leader out of the game to truly show that we've slipped.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I'm tired of people focusing on the out of conference stuff. It's a way for the Big 10 and Pac-12 to pretend they are somehow on par with the SEC, but the SEC averages out to be the toughest conference by a wide margin.

Anyway, FSU has the mighty Citadel coming up, and only have 3 ranked team on their schedule (the top team being #16 Notre Dame, the other two are 23, and 25). By contrast, Alabama has #15, #9, #12, and #5. I don't care about OOC, I don't care about what SoS spits out, you just can't compare those two schedules.

But... it still should be tougher than last year for FSU. Notre Dame is probably overrated, but still better than most teams FSU played last year, Louisville could be an interesting test, Petrino is not a bad coach, and Florida should... well just has to be better this year. If the opener was any indication, FSU won't get away with just blowing out terrible teams this time around (I mean come on, they even got Duke in the championship game), they'll have at least a few decent tests.
BAMA also has UT and Miss state and UF. all of them could be ranked when we play them. At least 2 will be .

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.