How many yards is Eddie Jackson worth?

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
It has already been stated that Bradley sylve really struggled at the corner. So if you plug and play Eddie Jackson in the same situation, how many yards does the West Virginia wide receiver make? I personally think Eddie Jackson could've knocked off 80 yards of his receiving yards. And possibly a touchdown.

What do you think?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm not understanding your thread title or this post..... if I read it correctly. . There is no way of knowing how he would've played. He could've had bad gsme or good game. We just woukdnt know because the game is already over. We haven't seen him play this year so....

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Hard to say with his injury. What if it flares up. Remember Sylve was in position on a couple of plays. WR made a fantastic catch on both.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
^^ This. The injury part. Let's hope EJ looks physically recovered, not too rusty, and shows potential to be able to to take over the spot on the field by the time we play Florida.

Anything more will be gravy.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Hard to say with his injury. What if it flares up. Remember Sylve was in position on a couple of plays. WR made a fantastic catch on both.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
True enough...

But man, what ever happened to playin' the ball...

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Am cautiously optimistic that Eddie can have an immediate impact...

Was thrilled to hear that Eddie had been cleared to play, but yes, as others have said above, can't help but be mindful of the effects of the injury...

Am guessing that two of our highly recruited DB recruits from last year - Jonathan Cook and Anthony Averett - just aren't "there" yet...

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I am really asking a pure hypothetical if/then question. If Eddie Jackson was healthy and played on Saturday in Sylves spot then would the outcome have been much different?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The perfectly placed ball can beat even the best coverage, because the wide receiver, inherently, has the advantage of the first move and the db is then responding or reacting to the receiver's action. When timed right, the qb and receiver always should have a window to a reception even under the best coverage.

I know opposing qbs just don't turn into All-Americans just because they are more motivated against us, but we've seen some pretty good qb play lately from opposing teams and Trickett was pretty impressive.

Having said that, our guys need a chip on their shoulder and I hope EJ is ready to start the trend! Several, who are more in the know about the technique that CNS teaches, have said the dbs were not playing according to that technique on Saturday.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I thought Syle played pretty well with the exception of two plays: the early one where he slipped and let the receiver get outside for a big gain and another play (I think in the first half) where he was really soft in run support and WVU ran it upfield for a big gain on his side. He could have and should have made a tackle on that one but he seemd to decline the contact altogether.

It's almost unreal that we're even talking about Jackson being cleared to play this week. I think we have some talented DBs and if they stick to their their assignments and don't get rattled, we will do much better against other spread and HUNH teams on the schedule.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I think a healthy Eddie Jackson could make a major impact on our defense. One player can make a big difference, when we lost Vinnie last year with an injury that had a major impact on our defense and we might have won the AU game with him in the lineup.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX

Sent from my iPhone

If you watch Sylve, he never turns his head to look for the ball. If don't see it, you can rarely make a play on it. Plus the real possibility of getting called for pass interference (face guarding and losing any claim to making a play for the ball).

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I think a healthy Eddie Jackson could make a major impact on our defense. One player can make a big difference, when we lost Vinnie last year with an injury that had a major impact on our defense and we might have won the AU game with him in the lineup.
Well I agree with you, but that sounds a lot like "If Colt hadn't gotten hurt ..."

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Well I agree with you, but that sounds a lot like "If Colt hadn't gotten hurt ..."

I believe we're overestimating the impact EJ had last year. Potential? Absolutely.

Sylve got beat up by a hot quarterback and a fine receiver. If the coaches think Eddie is the better choice this week, that's swell. He'll be facing a much less advanced passing game, which is a good thing since he's still recovering from his injury.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I believe we're overestimating the impact EJ had last year. Potential? Absolutely.

Sylve got beat up by a hot quarterback and a fine receiver. If the coaches think Eddie is the better choice this week, that's swell. He'll be facing a much less advanced passing game, which is a good thing since he's still recovering from his injury.
This is almost becoming a common theme. We need to figure out how to pour water on them and put the fire out.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
IMO, I thought our DBs played timid on Saturday. It was almost like they didn't want to get beat deep so they played 5-10 yards off the receiver.

If you watch Sylve, he never turns his head to look for the ball. If don't see it, you can rarely make a play on it. Plus the real possibility of getting called for pass interference (face guarding and losing any claim to making a play for the ball).
Like I told Rush, I was screaming get your head around. I'm not sure why he wasn't doing it. It's all he had to do.

Sent from my iPhone

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I've been saying for few days.. watch the game tapes again, and you'll see Slyve played well.. he just didn't play to the ball like he was coached to do. He didn't lose his job because of the performance, but because he needs more coaching and I anticpate we'll see lot of him, jackson and tony brown through...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.