Things You Want to See More of in Week Two (My Seven Things)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I honestly don't now why anybody wants to know. It isn't like OUR evaluation is going to make any difference about whether he plays or not.

Truthfully, I sort of see this being like Simms/McCarron. I will go to my grave believing the coaching staff knew McCarron was going to be the qb, but they let Simms settle it once and for all by putting him in the game to show he wasn't ready. Some of you may have insight into that, but that has always been my feeling about the "competition".
I understand Philip was the one doing well in scrimmages and practice, not AJ. Things changed during actual games, though.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I honestly don't now why anybody wants to know. It isn't like OUR evaluation is going to make any difference about whether he plays or not.

Truthfully, I sort of see this being like Simms/McCarron. I will go to my grave believing the coaching staff knew McCarron was going to be the qb, but they let Simms settle it once and for all by putting him in the game to show he wasn't ready. Some of you may have insight into that, but that has always been my feeling about the "competition".
I respectfully disagree with everything you said other than "our (fans) evaluation" of the qb doesn't matter.

The only way CNS and CLK can really evaluate Coker is by seeing how he actually handles a game situation. If he is failing miserably in practice there's no way they'd be talking about him playing this week. Apparently the coaches want to see him play some in a game and then go from there.

On AJ/PS, why would have CNS and the 2011 staff made a decision to start AJ but let Phil Sims play first if they really thought he would fail??? Makes no sense to me and suggests CNS and company might have had ulterior motives to play AJ over PS. Again, JMO, but I respectfully disagree.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I understand Philip was the one doing well in scrimmages and practice, not AJ. Things changed during actual games, though.
Occasionally a guy does better in a game than in practice. Many said the Shaun Alexander was the guy the kicked into a different gear in a game above what he did in practice.

But you are right, the "game situation" is the ultimate test and that's why the staff apparently believes Coker deserves a chance to compete in that environment.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
Had not heard that. Simms just looked completely out of sync to me every time he got in a game. It made the competition appear to be much less of a competition than the staff allowed us to believe. I also think, with the qb in particular, you have to be more careful about how you handle your public evaluations. That's one of the reasons I questioned the official statement about Simms/McCarron.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
I want us to come out angry, especially on defense. I don't want FAU to cross midfield.

Twice, in the past two seasons, I have heard that Auburn got mad. Last year after they got smacked by LSU they got angry. Last week, after Ark ran all over them, their D came out angry.

I want our guys to be mad as hell, and keep that up all season long.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
I respectfully disagree with everything you said other than "our (fans) evaluation" of the qb doesn't matter.

The only way CNS and CLK can really evaluate Coker is by seeing how he actually handles a game situation. If he is failing miserably in practice there's no way they'd be talking about him playing this week. Apparently the coaches want to see him play some in a game and then go from there.

On AJ/PS, why would have CNS and the 2011 staff made a decision to start AJ but let Phil Sims play first if they really thought he would fail??? Makes no sense to me and suggests CNS and company might have had ulterior motives to play AJ over PS. Again, JMO, but I respectfully disagree.
I don't think we've ever seen Saban throw a qb under the bus (correct me if I'm wrong), but aside from that, he has several POTENTIAL motives for continuing to publicly suggest that there is a competition. 1) It keeps the backup from losing confidence. 2) It pushes the starter to work harder. 3) It makes the other team consider both. 4) I think he just likes to mess with the media.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
I don't think we've ever seen Saban throw a qb under the bus (correct me if I'm wrong), but aside from that, he has several POTENTIAL motives for continuing to publicly suggest that there is a competition. 1) It keeps the backup from losing confidence. 2) It pushes the starter to work harder. 3) It makes the other team consider both. 4) I think he just likes to mess with the media.
Or, here's a possibility rarely considered: 5) Saban is suggesting that there is a QB competition ... because there is a QB competition.

It's amusing when we fans attempt to parse every statement of Saban's. It's like if we could only crack the code the vast, secret motivational plan would be revealed. Perhaps so. Perhaps our Dark Lord does have a master design. But sometimes? He's just a dude answering some questions.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
You just contradicted yourself if you really believe the first post.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
Or, here's a possibility rarely considered: 5) Saban is suggesting that there is a QB competition ... because there is a QB competition.

It's amusing when we fans attempt to parse every statement of Saban's. It's like if we could only crack the code the vast, secret motivational plan would be revealed. Perhaps so. Perhaps our Dark Lord does have a master design. But sometimes? He's just a dude answering some questions.
Right, Saban never says anything in his press conferences that means more than what's on the surface.....

The Kig

May 1, 2014
Primarily, I want to see more from the Defense. Nothing surprised me more during the WV game than the missed tackles, missed assignments and overall lack of dominance that I expected from a Saban D.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
1. More Derek Henry. While TJY was solid, as expected, we need to feed the beast a little more. DH had 17 carries to TJ's 23, but DH's average was 1.1 yards more than TJ's (6.6 to 5.5 ypc).
Agree with everything except #1. TJ is our bellcow and I think the carries were about right. Just like Mark, Trent and Eddie, Derrick will have to wait until next year to be the bellcow after TJ goes pro.

I want to see DB's make a play on the ball and more TFL on defense. Like many, I want to see Coker this week.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Blake Simms couldn't handle the simplified game plan that was put in front of him, so we had to transition to the no huddle offense to simplify it for him. How can we expand the offense when the QB can't run the plan we have?

This is just wrong. Wait, let me be more specific: It's absurd. We have to go back at least as far as Croyle against Arkansas in 2002 to find an Alabama quarterback who played this well in his first start (and Brodie had more game experience than Blake)

What I would like to see is a Blake-led offense put 21 points up in the first quarter and then let's see what the other guys can do.

Last edited:

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
That sometimes coach says what he means and isn't sending any hidden message. That's not the same as saying he never does it, which is what you seem to think he wrote.
No, I read that part at the bottom, but he also said it's amusing that we try and decipher what he means all the time. In reality, a lot of what he says is more than just what's there at face-value. I guess since he quoted me and then went into his over-the-top "dark lord" monologue, I took it as a slur. Maybe he didn't mean it that way, but it's the reason I responded as I did.

My apologies to DCTide if I was mistaken about your intent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.