Things You Want to See More of in Week Two (My Seven Things)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
1. More Derek Henry. While TJY was solid, as expected, we need to feed the beast a little more. DH had 17 carries to TJ's 23, but DH's average was 1.1 yards more than TJ's (6.6 to 5.5 ypc).

2. More OJ Howard catching passes. Howard didn't catch ONE pass on Saturday (according to RollTide.com stats), and frankly, I only remember the one time we targeted him and we all know what happened on that play. This guy is a weapon who needs to be used!!!

3. More dbs breaking up passes and ints!!! Knock a few out of the air or, even better, pick off a pass or two and those "confident" qbs we keep facing will start having some doubts. Which also leads to...

4. More qb sacks. Put that qb on his butt more, or at least hurry him up and make him throw off balance or out of timing and we'll see more of #3.

5. More JK Scott. I know we never want to punt, but as CNS says, "Every drive should end with a kick" and one of those possibilities is a punt. That boy has a cannon for a leg!!!

6. More Jacob Coker. Only three plays at the end of the game and every Bama fan wants to know what he's capable of. Blake Sims had a nice, solid opener, but let's see that powerful arm and athleticism we've heard about!

7. More touchdowns. We don't know how "good" WVU defense is or will be as the season goes on, but we think we'll see much better in the SEC. Having said that, we had to turn to Adam Griffen for 4 fgs and we only scored 21 points off of tds. We'll need to win a few games this year like we did against TAMU last year by outscoring some of these HUNH teams. The offense needs to operate at a higher level and stretch the field more and bust a few big tds!!! And for all that has been said about the lack of passes beyond 10-15 yards down the field, what happened to the screen pass in our arsenal??? Only remember one screen pass the whole game and it was not a big gainer.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
1. I want to see the offense opened up more for Sims. There was no question last week's gameplan was very, very conservative.

2. Might as well put Coker in there and see what he can do. But I'm not sure how we can get a fair evaluation since Blake had to face a legitimate power conference team and Coker will be going against two cupcake defenses (Southern Miss the following week). But either way, still need to see him play.

3. More Kenyon Drake. Too explosive not to use him.

Regarding defense. I'm not sure we will have the opportunity to see much defensive improvement against the HUNH for several weeks. The next two teams will not test us in that area so they should look outstanding.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
1. I want to see the offense opened up more for Sims. There was no question last week's gameplan was very, very conservative.

2. Might as well put Coker in there and see what he can do. But I'm not sure how we can get a fair evaluation since Blake had to face a legitimate power conference team and Coker will be going against two cupcake defenses (Southern Miss the following week). But either way, still need to see him play.

3. More Kenyon Drake. Too explosive not to use him.

Regarding defense. I'm not sure we will have the opportunity to see much defensive improvement against the HUNH for several weeks. The next two teams will not test us in that area so they should look outstanding.
In fairness, the same will be able to be said about BS if he looks better against the next two cupcakes. However, if both play the next two weeks we can draw a fair comparison based on the same level of compeition in these two games.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
In fairness, the same will be able to be said about BS if he looks better against the next two cupcakes. However, if both play the next two weeks we can draw a fair comparison based on the same level of compeition in these two games.
Personally, I think you see how good someone truly is in pressure packed moments. Blake passed that test Saturday. The staff didn't even have enough confidence in Coker to put him in.

RTR_UA#1

All-SEC
Jun 16, 2008
Meridian, MS
EVERY SEC team that WON in the first week started SLUGGISH. The performance that was expected from our team did not come to fruition.
I think by the time the TIDE meets Florida..... they (Florida) will feel the wrath of THE CRIMSON TIDE!!!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Personally, I think you see how good someone truly is in pressure packed moments. Blake passed that test Saturday. The staff didn't even have enough confidence in Coker to put him in.
No doubt he passed the test of doing what they asked him to do.

But they also didn't have the confidence in BS to let him throw the ball deep very often. Very conservative approach.

Maybe they decided to let him "slowly wade out into deeper waters" in games 2 and 3, but again with softer compeition we won't really have a clear answer until somebody runs out there against UF and does it against them.

narddogg81

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2012
4. More qb sacks. Put that qb on his butt more, or at least hurry him up and make him throw off balance or out of timing and we'll see more of #3.

5. More JK Scott. I know we never want to punt, but as CNS says, "Every drive should end with a kick" and one of those possibilities is a punt. That boy has a cannon for a leg!!!
we got 3 sack in the game, which is more than we averaged/game in 2011. There were not a whole lot of opportunities, since the ball was coming out instantly on most plays. When Trickett had to wait he usually got pressured or sacked

I hope JK scott never has to punt again, but I like knowing that when he does he is a field position weapon. First ever college punt goes for 62 yards. Hes a beast

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
we got 3 sack in the game, which is more than we averaged/game in 2011. There were not a whole lot of opportunities, since the ball was coming out instantly on most plays. When Trickett had to wait he usually got pressured or sacked

I hope JK scott never has to punt again, but I like knowing that when he does he is a field position weapon. First ever college punt goes for 62 yards. Hes a beast
Plus if you ask defensive linemen to pull their ears back and go balls to the wall kill the QB mode, it allows too many running lanes for a rushing QB to scramble a long run down the field. With the HUNH, Read Option, Spread.... the defensive line have to maintain lanes and penetrate a max of 2-3 yards. Typically the only way to truly pressure that type of offense is to blitz a LB or DB.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
More 50+ yard field goals. It's nice to see the ball follow a smooth parabolic arc instead of looking like it was launched by a bent one iron.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
more auburn turnovers, more points and better defense by Barn opponents. Have I told you I hate auburn, lately?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.