Question: Would you guys be okay if Coker got the start this week?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I can't take this anymore. Some of you are completely missing what coach was saying about our QBs last night. He said that both of our QBs needs to impove on lot of things. He went with Blake because he was comfortable in the system and he knows the playbooks. Throughout the last few weeks, Coach talked about the playbooks, and knowing it enough to be comfortable and confident. you see, Blake did good job of managing the game for the team and Coach was happy.. but in Coach's opinion, Coker deserves a chance to prove himselves... no matter how well Sims played and I personally agree with that. P.Sims and McCarron battled it out in 2011, and Sims was believed to be ahead of AJ, and Coach said it was neck to neck battle, not what media was saying. Right now, Media ripped Sims apart, and overhyped Coker to the great extent and it wasn't fair to either of them. Coaches here at Alabama have tried to calm things down and it's not really working. You have to understand that it's his knowledge of playbook that's holding Coker back right now. You saw Sims struggling with playcalling during the game. Its not easy as you all would think. I think we all need to understand that Coach is all about who's best at each positions... he don't care where you came from, if you are a son of a NFL player, etc... If you can do your job the way he wants you to do, he will play you. He knows what both QBs can do. he sees them everyday. He's the one coaching them. Just because Sims had one great game, doesn't mean he earned the job, ( even through he probably deserves it.... but if Coker is truly talented and makes the plays better than Sims.. then it is what it is. if Sims is our QB for the season.. so be it. We need to stop over analyze it and just enjoy the game for once without having to worrying about this. We as a fan put too much pressures on our players and that is not fair to them. Let the QB plays out.. and whoever wins... we'll support them. If Sims should lose, we need to continue to support both of Qbs.. because no matter what happens, we will see lot of them this seasons... Coach got a plan and he's going to make sure it'll happen at some point.
Well the problem with the whole thing is people are going crazy one way or another and getting too emotional about it. I think there is a huge misconception going around about why Jake didnt go in while Sims was struggling and get meaningful snaps. how well or how average Blake played (not getting in to it because it has been covered way too much) The reason Jake didnt go in is plain and simple at this point in time he doesnt know the playbook as well as sims. It has noting to do with seniority,loyalty,race, or anything else it has to due with the familiarity of the playbook and the coaches being more comfortable with blake rightnow. and also think had West Virginabeat us because we made the same mistake that vandy made in switching Qbs mid game while it was in jeapordy. then what will they be saying.....
I think people need to stop putting so much in one person because there is a good chance they may regret some of the things they have said like they did in 2011.
IDK who wins the job for the season,but im about 90% confident we will see Blake start the Florida game , but the question is who wins the game for us... dont know dont particulary care RTR support the guy under center and the 10 around him regardless.RTR

Bama_M.D.

Suspended
Aug 30, 2014
After watching a lot of film on sims and coker what I can say is sims plays well with short dump off passes and is mobile. I can not find any instances where he makes deep throws with any quality. I think read option or spread could be a great fit for him if he wins out. Last week all his long balls had way too much air under them and were way off target except the punt pass that was dropped. I worry that no vertical threat will limit the run game against better Ds. Sims and coker both stare down their targets pretty bad this is concerning against a decent secondary but coker can throw the deep ball at least this can keep the run more open for us. It remains to be seen if coker can run the o and knows the plays etc. but watching the two coker he a much higher ceiling. Sims I think will get the box loaded up and without a new option style O is going to lead to a few losses. Coker maybe no better in outcomes but I think a lot us know the road foward with sims is going to take a stellar D which I haven't seen and I am at least hoping we gave a good option in coker only time will tell

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
So CNS should just shut up about wanting to evaluate JC? If he lets Coker start (one of the next two games) or play significant minutes you disagree with CNS?

It's interesting to me the we will parse every phrase in a CNS media session, but then we won't take anything he says literally. CNS continues to say there is a qb competition and he's for sure never named Blake Sims as "the starter" in the sense the competition is over.

I believe you gest, but unfortunately what you say is true because anything slightly critical of Sims will be viewed as "hatin" on BS. Our fanbase has allowed this qb competition to get so sensitive that anybody is afraid to give constructive assessment for fear that they'll be tabbed as "hatin."

It goes against everything CNS has brought to our program...the best player plays....true freshmen will replace 5th year senior if they don't perform....a transfer gets a chance to play immediately...if they bust their butt....cause it's always been about the competition with CNS...UNTIL NOW.

The great debate has been (for some) that Coker was promised the job OR THAT (for some) Blake deserves the job. It's like what's always been used to determine who plays has been thrown out the window in the minds of so many.
Don't ever accuse me of telling the truth. ;). I am tired of this conversation, CNS is going to play who he wants to play without regard to class, experience, measurables (hate that phrase), race, creed or national origin.

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
Just to follow up my rant, it's like some people fear Blake losing the job for concerns it'll look racially biased or that it will disrupt the locker room unity. But if that's where our fanbase and program is we are not as sound as we think.

IMO, we are way better than this. Blake Sims and no fan of his should fear Jake Coker getting to play. It should help push Blake Sims and if Coker proves he's really better it'll only make our team better. But it seems that some are afraid of what might happen if Coker plays.

If Coker is really better (not saying he is), but isn't allowed to play for reasons mentioned above then we've take a step back to the 1960's in a reverse, distorted way.

But if Coker plays the coaches (and to a lesser extent we fans) will have "proof" of who's more talented and capable of leading us toward #16.
Finally. If JC is the better quarterback or improves to the point that he can play more meaningful minutes, then I trust Coach Saban will play him more. If we don't see a significant change, then I think we have our answer.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
After watching a lot of film on sims and coker what I can say is sims plays well with short dump off passes and is mobile. I can not find any instances where he makes deep throws with any quality. I think read option or spread could be a great fit for him if he wins out. Last week all his long balls had way too much air under them and were way off target except the punt pass that was dropped. I worry that no vertical threat will limit the run game against better Ds. Sims and coker both stare down their targets pretty bad this is concerning against a decent secondary but coker can throw the deep ball at least this can keep the run more open for us. It remains to be seen if coker can run the o and knows the plays etc. but watching the two coker he a much higher ceiling. Sims I think will get the box loaded up and without a new option style O is going to lead to a few losses. Coker maybe no better in outcomes but I think a lot us know the road foward with sims is going to take a stellar D which I haven't seen and I am at least hoping we gave a good option in coker only time will tell

Good first post. Your opinion is just as good as any others, except CNS of course. Welcome!

ghannas

Jul 11, 2014
Sims should start because he did a good job. Coker needs to prove himself before starting. Maybe Saban plays both all year??

kat4bama

3rd Team
Aug 27, 2009
First CNS will play the QB that gives us the best chance to win. Why do people have to get so emotional about this? CNS is certainly not a racist. He will do what is best for the team. Thank goodness message boards are not choosing our QB.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
First CNS will play the QB that gives us the best chance to win. Why do people have to get so emotional about this? CNS is certainly not a racist. He will do what is best for the team. Thank goodness message boards are not choosing our QB.
see below quote

No one is forcing you to read the debate. :)

Fascination with the starting quarterback as well as the backup is a tradition around here. The back and forth about the merits and limitations of both is a big draw on a football discussion board. I know it can be frustrating reading opinions you don't agree with, but that's often part of a board like this.

I'd bet everybody who has posted in this thread all want the same thing...seeing Bama win every game we play. We're just having a conversation about how best to do it.
Who implied CNS was racist?? I don't recall reading anyone saying something along those lines on here??

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.