Question: Would you guys be okay if Coker got the start this week?

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
At first I wanted to say no, but this really is one of those cases where we have to rely on the coach's decision who sees them in practice everyday.

I still think it was pretty odd that Coker never got a chance in ATL.

But the next two weeks are garbage anyway. Florida is the only start that matters.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
No it couldn't. Sims already had a stellar performance against a power conference team..
I understand your point, Sims has a good game under his belt, while Coker does not.

The point I was trying to emphasize is that if Sims bombed out in the next two games, against weak competition, his prospects as first string qb would be greatly reduced.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I understand your point, Sims has a good game under his belt, while Coker does not.

The point I was trying to emphasize is that if Sims bombed out in the next two games, against weak competition, his prospects as first string qb would be greatly reduced.
I guess my point was that it will be almost impossible for Blake to bomb out the next two games. You or I could QB Bama in those two games and look like an all american..

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
At first I wanted to say no, but this really is one of those cases where we have to rely on the coach's decision who sees them in practice everyday.

I still think it was pretty odd that Coker never got a chance in ATL.

But the next two weeks are garbage anyway. Florida is the only start that matters.
The game was closer than what some expected. Saban stuck with his first choice at quarterback. Nothing odd about that, in my humble opinion.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
It wouldn't bother me that much but I think Sims should start again. Let Coker start the 1st possession of the 2nd quarter to put him in at a meaningful time. Dont make him come in in the 4th and hand off to run out the clock.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Actually that would be worse for Coker only playing against two weaker teams. Imagine if he struggles in those games. That would pretty much end whatever competition is remaining..

I guess my point was that it will be almost impossible for Blake to bomb out the next two games. You or I could QB Bama in those two games and look like an all american..
And it would be equally impossible for Coker to bomb out against the next two cupcakes. (I would hope.) I'm not trying to be argumentative, just enjoying the discussion.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
And it would be equally impossible for Coker to bomb out against the next two cupcakes. (I would hope.) I'm not trying to be argumentative, just enjoying the discussion.
Same. I just feel like with Blake having a solid performance under his belt there is not much he can do in the next two games to lose his starting job. I would be surprised at this point if Coker ends up being the starter. If CNS had put him in during the WVU game after he told him to warm up (2nd quarter I think), I believe the QB battle would truly be a 50/50 competition right now. As it sits I see it more like 75/25 in Blake's favor..

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Sims starts and plays 1st QTR

Coker plays 2nd QTR

May see the same rotation in 3rd and 4th.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Haven't read all posts and this may have already been stated but IMO there is absolutely no advantage to starting JC against FAU and/or USM. At the same time there is absolutely no advantage to playing him in "Mop Up" duty. Rotate the first few offensive series between the two QB's with the 1's and blind scripted plays. That'll supply the best information to the coaches for judgement and evaluation of performance.

RTR!!!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Same. I just feel like with Blake having a solid performance under his belt there is not much he can do in the next two games to lose his starting job. I would be surprised at this point if Coker ends up being the starter. If CNS had put him in during the WVU game after he told him to warm up (2nd quarter I think), I believe the QB battle would truly be a 50/50 competition right now. As it sits I see it more like 75/25 in Blake's favor..
I agree. I would be very surprised as well. Saban somewhat showed his hand or put himself in a bad spot by choosing not to play Coker in the first game. Especially a game that had elements in it where there was pressure and the game was in question.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
How? Saban did say that it was possible that a player could play signifcant time throughout the game... I don't think he really showed his hand at all. I think this was planned. Sims needed to be evaluated for 4 quarters.... and I think Coker will get same chance. I don't think its enough to win or lose a job right now.
I agree. I would be very surprised as well. Saban somewhat showed his hand or put himself in a bad spot by choosing not to play Coker in the first game. Especially a game that had elements in it where there was pressure and the game was in question.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I would be ok with it, it at least gives Jake a fair shot too. I'm fine with Blake starting too. Makes no difference to me.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Start Jake and see what he can do. We probably would have a good year with either since we have a lot of talent around them. I don't think we have a championship year with either.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think the "close game" with WVU had something to do with Coker not playing significant snaps.

JC is obviously "behind" Sims in the level of knowledge and understanding and in playing instinctively departments right now.

What none of us know is "when" CNS will feel that JC has caught up enough to be able to fairly compare the two.

It's true the BS performed adequately against WVU and did what he was asked to do (short range passes for the most part).

I also think it will be a fairly obvious if both play the next couple of games to compare their games IF THEY ARE ASKED TO DO SIMILAR THINGS AGAINST THE SAME OPPONENTS.

In other words, I believe the coaches feel they need to see if Blake Sims has the ability to thrown the ball downfield in a game and then they want to know if Coker can do that equally, worse, or better than BS.

At this point, it's Coker's job to prove that he is a significantly better option than Blake Sims at running the kind of plays the coaches want to run.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If Sims is really the better quarterback, he nor the fans wanting him to win the job permanantly have anything to fear.

I just want to know (or I want our coaches to know) who the best quarterback between the two really is.

Have him ready to start against the Gators and everybody will line up behind him with full support!

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Blake should start if he won the right too which apparently he did. I think CNS really hates the idea of not being able to use one of the most valuable weapons our offense has and that's its WRs. These guys can flat go and get it but BS simply cannot stretch the field vertically and the thinking is JC can. I know that is something Saban cherishes and it won the SECCG against UGA flat out but he can't tolerate turnovers more. He'll go with a game manager over a gunslinger any day if the gunslinger can't manage the game too.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
I really hope and expect to see Coker play while the game is still close enough that he can run the full offense. My guess is that Blake will start, but I really don't have any preference one way or the other. I think Blake's performance on Saturday was great considering it was his first start, and I think he will be the starter once conference play begins. But, I'm definitely curious as to what Coker can do in a real game when he has a good amount of time to play (2+ quarters).

Also, something's not right about referring to our QB as "BS". :D Can we call him Blake or Sims?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.