Why is Pat Dye in the College Football Hall of Fame?

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Visited the new College Football Hall of Fame while in Atlanta for the game this weekend and noticed that Pat Dye is a member. I am just trying to understand how a coach that never won (or even played for) a national title and was forced to resign instead of being fired (Eric Ramsey 60 minute tapes) would be voted into this Hall. I realize he won perhaps 4 SEC titles in the 80's ( thank you Bobby Lowder ) but his accomplishments seem to pale in comparison to the other great coaches that are inducted.

Just interested in everyone's thoughts. Would recommend visiting this facility to everyone- thought is was very well done.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
He coached at least ten years and had a winning pct of higher than .600.

There's your answer.

(Why is this subject even debatable?)

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I just think it is odd since he was essentially fired and the team he coached went on probation for his actions. Do not see any other coach in the hall with his baggage. That is why I think it is debatable.
He coached at least ten years and had a winning pct of higher than .600.

There's your answer.

(Why is this subject even debatable?)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Visited the new College Football Hall of Fame while in Atlanta for the game this weekend and noticed that Pat Dye is a member. I am just trying to understand how a coach that never won (or even played for) a national title
I would argue that he did and was robbed in 1983.

and was forced to resign instead of being fired (Eric Ramsey 60 minute tapes) would be voted into this Hall.
I'm not sure there's a distinction. Is it REALLY better to have been Woody Hayes (a no doubt HOF), Jerry Tarkanian, or Bobby Knight and been canned?

And anything Pat Dye did morally fails in drastic comparison to a certain former Penn State coach who let child rape go on unfettered for over a decade. Is Paterno in there?

I realize he won perhaps 4 SEC titles in the 80's ( thank you Bobby Lowder ) but his accomplishments seem to pale in comparison to the other great coaches that are inducted.
How many other guys who won four conference titles in seven years are NOT in there? To say nothing of the fact that the SEC parity of the 1980s was something absolutely unreal. SIX DIFFERENT TEAMS won the conference title in a span of about 8-9 years (Florida got stripped, but they were still the best team).

Just interested in everyone's thoughts. Would recommend visiting this facility to everyone- thought is was very well done.
In all sincerity, everybody needs to drop the "anti-Auburn bias" when evaluating things like this. Dye took over at East Carolina and went 48-18 and won a conference; he turned around a moribound Wyoming team overnight. And say what you want about whatever - the fact is that Dye took over an Auburn team coming off a crippling probation and turned it into the SEC's flagship school of the 1980s. Say what you wish about paid players, but I've never seen a dollar bill make a tackle, complete a pass, or hold onto the football.

Besides - why not go back and look at who exactly Dye was competing against and then tell me exactly what he did that nobody else did?

Billy Brewer was at Ole Miss and they got sanctioned TWICE under his watch. He was cheating like a hypocritical fool all the while playing the old "all them boys of Bear Bryant cheat and I don't" card.

Charley Pell? Major probations at Clemson AND Florida

Galen Hall? Got Florida put on probation in the late 1980s after inheriting Pell's mess.

So Vandy didn't cheat. And Bill Curry had no record of scandal, either, which is partly how he got the job. And Dye even had to coach his final two years against a guy who could give a clinic on how to cheat, Jackie Sherrill.

So what exactly did Dye do that most of his competitors didn't do? (Oh, and Dye squared off against that self-righteous Vince Dooley every year, who just happened to have a back watcher in the NCAA office - yet even UGA got probation in the 1980s so again - what exactly was not level about the playing field?)

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
He is in as a coach- not for his playing days.
I realize that but his entire football career is taken into account. Especially considering the only real playing criteria for a player is being an All-American. It doesn't matter what he category he's inducted in considering he met both playing and coaching criteria that they require, plus the other stuff.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I just think it is odd since he was essentially fired and the team he coached went on probation for his actions. Do not see any other coach in the hall with his baggage. That is why I think it is debatable.
Wally Butts was a carouser and gambler and lost his AD job over the fix that never happened.

Vince Dooley's UGA team got put on probation in the Jan Kemp scandal, which was as bad as Ramseygate but without tapes.

Phil Fulmer?

Lou Holtz has a legacy of scandal that would put Dye to shame.

Joe Paterno?

Is it REALLY that hard to find a more scandalous coach than Dye? I doubt it.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Under Gene Stalling we lost a ton of scholarships and went under probation. He's rightfully in the Hall.There's lots of coaches from the past with 'baggage', doesn't mean they should be withheld from consideration.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
selma honest question...you have those pictures of Dye and Coach Bryant hunting together somewhere in your BAMA collection don't you?

:biggrin:

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Selma- you are a great poster and I enjoy reading your posts on this board. But I am not sure i understand all of your defenses of Pat Dye. You gave some true facts about his career. But none of those other coaches that you mentioned him competing against are in the hall-except Vince Dooley. You seem to justify his questionable practices by saying it was what nearly everyone was doing at the time. My opinions are not anti-Auburn. They are anti Pat Dye.
I would argue that he did and was robbed in 1983.

I'm not sure there's a distinction. Is it REALLY better to have been Woody Hayes (a no doubt HOF), Jerry Tarkanian, or Bobby Knight and been canned?

And anything Pat Dye did morally fails in drastic comparison to a certain former Penn State coach who let child rape go on unfettered for over a decade. Is Paterno in there?

How many other guys who won four conference titles in seven years are NOT in there? To say nothing of the fact that the SEC parity of the 1980s was something absolutely unreal. SIX DIFFERENT TEAMS won the conference title in a span of about 8-9 years (Florida got stripped, but they were still the best team).

In all sincerity, everybody needs to drop the "anti-Auburn bias" when evaluating things like this. Dye took over at East Carolina and went 48-18 and won a conference; he turned around a moribound Wyoming team overnight. And say what you want about whatever - the fact is that Dye took over an Auburn team coming off a crippling probation and turned it into the SEC's flagship school of the 1980s. Say what you wish about paid players, but I've never seen a dollar bill make a tackle, complete a pass, or hold onto the football.

Besides - why not go back and look at who exactly Dye was competing against and then tell me exactly what he did that nobody else did?

Billy Brewer was at Ole Miss and they got sanctioned TWICE under his watch. He was cheating like a hypocritical fool all the while playing the old "all them boys of Bear Bryant cheat and I don't" card.

Charley Pell? Major probations at Clemson AND Florida

Galen Hall? Got Florida put on probation in the late 1980s after inheriting Pell's mess.

So Vandy didn't cheat. And Bill Curry had no record of scandal, either, which is partly how he got the job. And Dye even had to coach his final two years against a guy who could give a clinic on how to cheat, Jackie Sherrill.

So what exactly did Dye do that most of his competitors didn't do? (Oh, and Dye squared off against that self-righteous Vince Dooley every year, who just happened to have a back watcher in the NCAA office - yet even UGA got probation in the 1980s so again - what exactly was not level about the playing field?)

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Brilliant innovations in the cough/spit combination category. Also, most blatant violations of NCAA regulations without lasting punishment in NCAA history.

But credit where credit is due, the Barners showed the world how to emasculate the ncaa.

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
If the question is physically why 'ole Tye Dye is in the football hall of fame, there are probably only a few reasons. He's either taking a bribe, making a bribe, or after a bottle of Jack Daniels.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
true, but those transgressions were not for paying players; they were for not being upfront with the NCAA and suspending a player for agent contact like we should have done. violation, yes. cheating by paying players directly, not quite.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I know I get cynical sometimes, but IMO all Hall Of Fames like to have every team represented to draw fans in. Pat Dye is the best coach Auburn can produce.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.