News Article: ESPN: What’s wrong with Alabama’s pass D?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The best list I can come up with is LSU and even then they don't completely shut down the HUNH. They just seem better at slowing it down and forcing the offense to play at the defense's pace.
That's a very big misconception. LSU hasn't done very well against the teams. They just get turnovers, which we don't.

From a previous thread:

As many on here know, I like stats. Your post got me to thinking about LSU's perceived success. I went back to the 2010 season since they played WVU and Auburn.

TeamPointsTotal YardsPassingRushingTurnoversPlaysTOPOutcome
2010 WVU141771195825626:07W
2010 Auburn245268644016832:13L
2011 Oregon273352409548226:56W
2011 WVU215334637048726:38W
2012 Texas A&M1941027613459530:10W
2012 Clemson2544534699210136:21L
2013 Auburn2143722421338630:49W
2013 Texas A&M102992247525919:41W

Because LSU is 6-2 in games against the HUNH teams since 2010, folks want to act like they have stopped. The stats suggest otherwise. They've benefited from turnovers. With the number of plays and yards on the 2011 defense, many would say Oregon and WVU beat LSU. Thanks to 4 turnovers in both games, LSU won.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yeah LSU is great with those fast paced teams......
The flip side of that is that they get gashed by teams that are big and run the ball. So I guess the question is how do you create the Legion of Boom on the college level? The first person that creates that will put Malzhan and sumlin out of the job.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
They just get turnovers, which we don't
That's an interesting point. To get turnovers against those kind of offenses, I think a defense has to really attack and that is a high risk/high reward approach that can end up as either a turnover or loss of yards or a long gain/TD. The alternative is to 'play safe' by keeping the play in front/short and be a 'bend don't break' defense that bogs the offense down in the red zone where they don't have as much space to spread you out and try to force the FG try. Basically, let them be productive in yards and plays but unproductive in points scored and don't give them the opportunity to get cheap points with a deep ball or because someone gets left uncovered due to a blitz. The added benefit is that if these teams have a fairly simple playbook with multiple run/pass options off of one formation, over the course of the game, the defense might be more likely to get more familiar and comfortable with what they see as the game goes on?

CrimsonSnake

3rd Team
Aug 21, 2002
Huntsville, ALABAMA, USA
it was the broken tackles that led to 206 yac yards. would we be having this conversation if WVU only had half those yards, 293 yds/offense? make the tackle in front of you . I saw a lot trying for a strip/big play, gotta secure the tackle first!
I see a lot of the going for the strip before making the tackle by almost everyone. Arkansas was guilty of this on a couple of Auburn's touchdowns.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Chris Brown at Smart Football writes really good stuff- he wrote that piece on MSU's defense. He has also written a fair bit about Coach Saban's defense including our DB's "pattern matching" which, if I understand it correctly, is very similar to what MSU does.

After Bama destroyed Clemson a few years ago, Coach Saban had a great post-game press conference where he stressed that it was "just one game". Well, so was WVU.
Boom^^^^^^nailed it!

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
but other than - get to the line fast and snap it fast, there's no cohesive philosophy of what defines it. therefore, it's not really an offense. We even switched over to HUNH against WVU, but we still ran pro-set formations, pro-style plays.

Look at it this way, there's almost nothing similar between Auburns offense and TAMUs offense other than they both try to go fast with no huddles. With them being around 95% different, should we really call them the same thing?
uh, I don't see where I mentioned anything about Auburn or TAMU. My point was simple, if you consider West Coast an offense, you could also conclude the HUNH is an offense. The west coast has no set alignments or formations, like a HUNH. IT is simply a philosophy that got away from the old thinking that you run to set up the pass, and pass routes were vertical. the philosophy of west coast is simple horizontal routes to open up vertical routes and running lanes.
the HUNH 'lengthens' the game by running more plays and wearing down your opponent. It limits the flexibility of defenses by not allowing substitutions or change strategy mid drive. like the west coast, offensive schemes and formations are not what defines it. sorry you disagree but that is why Auburn and TAMU can both look different and still run a HUNH offense. They obviously run differing versions of a spread

my original post-
actually, unlike the others, the West Coast is not an offensive formation. . it is more philosophy than formation. just the concept of horizontal passing routes to open vertical routes and running plays. So, with that the HUNH could be classified as an offense.

Also,on my original post I was just extrapolating that with the example given , the west coast offense, you could conclude that the HUNH was an offense. Myactual opinion was that it was not. But since I have been forced to defend that position, and researching the HUNH, I now believe it is.

Last edited:

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009
Good thing Michigan State has figured out how to stop hurry up offense better than us. We can study how they shutdown Oregon tonight.:eek:

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
responding to the thread, when Jackson started, thing were better, an when mr. brown entered the game It greatly improved, the aggressive play, and coverage was much better. please leave jones, and sylve doing other things. like jones had a good punt return.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.