A True Example of Linemen Down Field

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Some say Auburn had linemen down field on the game-tying pass. Here's an example where there's no arguing linemen were down field before the pass, and the officials did not call it, either.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
and the ref nearly got hit by one of them....something tells me I would be able to think, "hey something is not right here."

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
That's disturbing. I think all know that how the OL blocks is a key for defenders to read and if you see an OL down field, it SHOULD signal a run and run only. I really hope officials call stuff like that because it's pretty ridiculous.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Good night, the umpire is looking right at #71 and still didn't pull his hanky!

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Unfortunately I had lunch with two officials last week and asked them about this specific type penalty & defensive keys to run support.....They just had an "oh well" response. Seriously, they did. Somewhat acted as if they really didn't understand what I was asking.

crimsonseal12

3rd Team
Aug 10, 2011
Gulfport, Ms
Some say Auburn had linemen down field on the game-tying pass. Here's an example where there's no arguing linemen were down field before the pass, and the officials did not call it, either.

While you are correct. Watch the line closely. IT looks like they are all run blocking the way they fire off the line. Almost as if the play was change at the line and they didn't get the call, but more (hard to tell because the CB isn't in the picture) than likely, the QB and WR noticed the CB well off the line of and decided to do a little sandlot football.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Unfortunately I had lunch with two officials last week and asked them about this specific type penalty & defensive keys to run support.....They just had an "oh well" response. Seriously, they did. Somewhat acted as if they really didn't understand what I was asking.
Exactly. Totally unfair to the defense.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
This is a staple of several of the read option/air raid defenses on their pass plays. I just presume the out of shape Keystone Kop officials were so busy catering to the offense's demand about ball-spotting and trying to get back in position before the snap that they didn't have time to enforce the rules.

If just one, just one, network commentator would start looking for it and telestrating how often it happens, the embarrassment factor would get it called more often. But one advantage of combining these offenses with HUNH is that replays of key downs never get shown -- or show simultaneously with the next play. Sadly, coaches, players and fans pointing it out won't do diddly. Let one ESPN/CBS talking head start yapping about it, and it'll be a point of emphasis in a New York Minute. But they LOVE the HUNH and will rarely do anything to undercut it. They think Offense/scoring = viewers and viewers = ratings and ratings = $$$.

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
This is a staple of several of the read option/air raid defenses on their pass plays. I just presume the out of shape Keystone Kop officials were so busy catering to the offense's demand about ball-spotting and trying to get back in position before the snap that they didn't have time to enforce the rules.

If just one, just one, network commentator would start looking for it and telestrating how often it happens, the embarrassment factor would get it called more often. But one advantage of combining these offenses with HUNH is that replays of key downs never get shown -- or show simultaneously with the next play. Sadly, coaches, players and fans pointing it out won't do diddly. Let one ESPN/CBS talking head start yapping about it, and it'll be a point of emphasis in a New York Minute. But they LOVE the HUNH and will rarely do anything to undercut it. They think Offense/scoring = viewers and viewers = ratings and ratings = $$$.

But couldn't / shouldn't the coaches report it to the league office?

Nevermind, I see where you referenced the coaches & etc.... I would think that if enough say it often enough, it would get noticed. Yes, it would initially probably be called crying or something, but eventually the truth would win out. The video tape never lies....

Last edited:

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

I've heard Rece Davis make a few comments, but that's about all.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
They must have been SEC officials.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
While you are correct. Watch the line closely. IT looks like they are all run blocking the way they fire off the line. Almost as if the play was change at the line and they didn't get the call, but more (hard to tell because the CB isn't in the picture) than likely, the QB and WR noticed the CB well off the line of and decided to do a little sandlot football.
I wondered the same, but that doesn't excuse the no call. When most QBs make that adjustment at the line, they don't run a play action; they take the snap and throw the ball.

They must have been SEC officials.
SEC officials may have their faults, but they're still the best in the nation.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

ESPN memo - if one of you makes a disparaging remark about HUNH, you're fired!

-The Management

Yep, that's why ^^^

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I wondered the same, but that doesn't excuse the no call. When most QBs make that adjustment at the line, they don't run a play action; they take the snap and throw the ball.

SEC officials may have their faults, but they're still the best in the nation.
I realize I'm preaching to the choir, but why call it *ever* if you're not going to call when an offense runs HUNH and this happens? *This* is the reason for the penalty in the first place... or so I thought.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
When it happens in the NFL, it is called. The officials in most college conferences have no clue what the rules are and miss most penalties. The SEC and the B1G are two of the worst.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
When it happens in the NFL, it is called. The officials in most college conferences have no clue what the rules are and miss most penalties. The SEC and the B1G are two of the worst.
I nominate you to evaluate all of the conference officials and report back empirically on how the SEC and B1G officials have earned the title of "worst". :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.