Charles Barkley: 'I got some cash from agents' at Auburn...

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
..same as many others.

Nothing we didn't know already but interesting article.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/09/charles_barkley_i_got_cash_fro.html#incart_m-rpt-2

"I think the most I took was $20,000. It made me stay in school another year. $20,000 is not a lot of money, but I was able to do some stuff for my mother and grandmother and I had some spending money. I'm cool. I don't have to go into the real world of the NBA after one college season."

According to Barkley, Auburn's athletic department discouraged him from taking "serious classes," fearing he could flunk them and become academically ineligible. He believes the college athletic system is "broken" and there is more cheating in recent years because more money is at stake."

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
..same as many others.

Nothing we didn't know already but interesting article.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/09/charles_barkley_i_got_cash_fro.html#incart_m-rpt-2

"I think the most I took was $20,000. It made me stay in school another year. $20,000 is not a lot of money, but I was able to do some stuff for my mother and grandmother and I had some spending money. I'm cool. I don't have to go into the real world of the NBA after one college season."

According to Barkley, Auburn's athletic department discouraged him from taking "serious classes," fearing he could flunk them and become academically ineligible. He believes the college athletic system is "broken" and there is more cheating in recent years because more money is at stake."

You want the truth. Lol
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LHDIy5BE3sw

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This isn't even news - at all. Barkley said way back in March 1988 that he had taken money at Auburn and felt players should be paid. The result? NCAA INVESTIGATION over two years put both Auburn's tennis and basketball programs on probation. Irony? The Eric Ramsey football scandal broke on September 27, 1991, in the Montgomery Advertiser. That very day, Dye was presenting the findings of the internal investigation (he was AD at the time) to an NCAA rep in Boston. His team lost to the Vols in Knoxville the next day.

Nothing newsworthy here, Barkley has said this for over 25 years.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Yea no player at Bama or any other major football school has ever taken money from an agent or booster. With our history of violations we should not be so quick to point out the mistakes or violations that other programs have made..

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Barkley spent all of his on pizza......he hadn't found gambling yet.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
Al.com decided it was newsworthy for some reason.

This quote was what interested me..

..."According to Barkley, Auburn's athletic department discouraged him from taking "serious classes," fearing he could flunk them and become academically ineligible. He believes the college athletic system is "broken" and there is more cheating in recent years because more money is at stake."

I know Chuck is a blowhard but he doesn't seem to be talking about Chuck here.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.