****Bama vs. FAU - Postgame Thread****

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
When Coker overthrows, he OVERTHROWS!!

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
Yes. If his arm was a person, it would be one of those people that talks to everyone like they're deaf. "HEY, CHRIS, I GOT A BALL FOR YOU TO CATCH!" Chris Black: "What?!"

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well I'm more confident than what I was last week. We have two serviceable qbs with totally different skill sets and offensive style that they run. So I think whoever is named the man will be good and if he struggles we have a good option behind him.

Support the team!!!

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Sims continues to look sharp doing what he's asked to do. He's more crisp with the O.

However, when Coker was in the game, the play calling was different and there were lots more vertical shots. While Coker looked timid, you can see the promise and why the coaches want him to get ready.

I just really wished we might have seen Sims asked to thrown the ball down field more so as to get a better idea about his ability to do so.

Because most of Sims throws were short, it's kinda like comparing apples to oranges right now.
He made some mid range throws also which may be enough to loosen the defenses up. I think sims will be the man. You could even see his confidence increases this game also.

I'm telling y'all… A dual threat quarterback that can still give the efficiencies that SAban wants will be scary good if he improves from here. It is just such a different style than what we are used to.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'd remind people that LSU has spent the majority of the Les Miles era using two QBs in some fashion (other than the times where they had clear #1 QBs in Russell and Mettenburger). They haven't been as successful as us over the totality of the time period but they have had some dang good teams that have really challenged us and any other SEC team with their physical offense.

We may be heading for this kind of situation. Sims gives us something extra with his legs while Coker isn't quite polished enough to argue for giving him all the snaps with the first-string. I get the feeling that we're going to need his arm at certain points in the SEC schedule. Of course, he needs to clean up his reads and decisionmaking...but he's got another week before we go live-fire. Their skillsets are diverse enough that it gives the opponent a good bit to prepare for in a week. We haven't even seen a ZR keep from Sims and he spent the majority of his backup tenure doing only that.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Coker threw deep several times. Have to wonder if Saban and Kiffin called those plays to show him the other options rather than always going for the home run.

I liked what I saw from Jake in the second half. He's not consistent, though. That can really hurt us later in the season. That can also be fixed with more playing time. Would expect to see a similar rotation against USM next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Anyone besides me a little befuddled about the lack of utilizing 88 in the offensive game plan? I thought maybe they were taking that away from us in the first game. But today, when we could do pretty much anything we wanted, I expected to see the ball go OJ's way a couple of times at least.

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
I love Blake. He's ok. He's shown some improvement. But it's obvious that coaches are very careful with what they allow him to do vertically. That's not because they're unfair. They know his limitations. These swing passes are not gonna work against sec defenses. Good for Blake, he's got some PT. But we've got to move on to the guy with the most upside. SEC defenses are just going to crowd the line with Blake and shut us down. Coker showed tremendous improvement over the course of the game. Time to give him an opp at the starting role.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I wasn't impressed at all with Coker. Sims was on point. Defensive line still got pushed back often. Eddie Jackson....welcome back.
Ok, that is your opinion. I think Coker played well after a rocky start. definitely gives the team another dimension.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I love Blake. He's ok. He's shown some improvement. But it's obvious that coaches are very careful with what they allow him to do vertically. That's not because they're unfair. They know his limitations. These swing passes are not gonna work against sec defenses. Good for Blake, he's got some PT. But we've got to move on to the guy with the most upside. SEC defenses are just going to crowd the line with Blake and shut us down. Coker showed tremendous improvement over the course of the game. Time to give him an opp at the starting role.
Be careful. I posted something about Coker having a bigger upside. I got jumped.

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Anyone besides me a little befuddled about the lack of utilizing 88 in the offensive game plan? I thought maybe they were taking that away from us in the first game. But today, when we could do pretty much anything we wanted, I expected to see the ball go OJ's way a couple of times at least.
I would like to see more designed plays to him but both qb's missed him running wide open today

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Don't know how it looked on TV, but from inside the stadium the entire offense played faster with Sims in the game. It looked and felt like everyone was more comfortable.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I would give Blake Sims an A+ except for that handoff to Yeldon in the 3rd quarter. We should have had points on that drive.

I've got to watch that so called hand-off again.

We don't need a B. Sims vs Coker controversy. We need a Bama NC! If it takes playing both QB's to get it, then so be it. It is what it is! They both have their strengths. That Blake Sims TD run showed one of his strengths. I think he showed leadership on the sidelines also in interacting with Coker when he made good plays.

Sims played an almost perfect 1st Quarter. I actually hated to see him come out of the game. He could have put up some incredible numbers!

Coker's long throws were off and his play with 7 seconds left in the 1st half were not heady! We should have had at least 3 points! He should have thrown the ball away quickly if no one was open. Did he know that we only had 7 seconds left on the clock? He should have!

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
Be careful. I posted something about Coker having a bigger upside. I got jumped.
Ha. I'm sure. It's nothing personnel. I like Blake. But, think about it. Swing pass. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Shot downfield or intermediate throw. SEC defenses will crowd the line and take it all away. Coker opens up running lanes. The defense has to respect the pass and can't cram the box.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Defensive line is very worrisome. Robinson got pushed out of the hole like last week. To be called the strength of the D heading into the year, it now looks like the weakspot of team
I wasn't impressed at all with Coker. Sims was on point. Defensive line still got pushed back often. Eddie Jackson....welcome back.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Where has OJ Howard disappeared to? Homer me wants to think we are saving all his plays for conference play. Realist me thinks we should be getting him some game reps.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I don't think anybody doubts that, but there's more to it than upside. I keep seeing people saying that Blake will get ate up in SEC play because he can't throw the deep ball, but the same is true with the inaccuracy and slow routine passes that Coker was throwing. Blake makes the routine throws very well, which has always been the bread and butter of our offense. Coker has to get better with those to win the job, IMO. There's no doubt that Jake has a cannon, but he'll have to be a lot better than he was to today to be the starter, IMO.

The fact that Blake performed like he did against a much better team last week has to be taken into consideration also. I'd argue that if Coker made the mistakes he did today last week, we could have very easily lost that game. That kinda tells me why we didn't see him last week until the last 2 plays.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.