****Bama vs. FAU - Postgame Thread****

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I want to see more designed QB draws from Sims. He is a great runner and they need to take advantage of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If he weren't a great runner, they wouldn't have moved him to that position when the ranks got temporarily thin...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Nah, that can't be it. We haven't seen Blake make a lot of deep throws, so he obviously can't do it. He can't throw it any further than 15 yards accurately. The funny thing is that he was once able to do it, but not anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIruNJ6FN3A

Baffling really. I blame Scott Cochran for putting too much muscle on his arms. That's got to be what it is.
I got about 3 minutes into the video and it tells me why he was recruited as an athlete not a qb.

Mind you, I know he doesn't have a cannon, but there are two groups when it comes to Blake Sims and the deep ball. The ones that know he can throw it, and the ones that think he can't.

Anyway, to further expand on the two quarterbacks, two QBs is not a death sentence. Remember Tebow's true freshman season? Leak had a great year, and Tebow was still essential to the team's success. The thing it seems like Coker is unlikely to better is Blake's ability to run a really fast, efficient offense. It's hard for me to imagine Coker running as clean a two minute drill and it seems like there no matter what, Blake will probably play a continued role in some situations.

On the other hand, even if Coker is relegated to the backup role, it's very hard for me to imagine him not starting next year. A lot of his issues are a result of inexperience and the transition from Alabama to FSU. Overall, it seems like a good situation for Alabama.
Just one question then: We've seen Blake play 5 full quarters. If he can really throw the deep ball well, why haven't we seen prooof of that? Do we really think the coaches are keeping that hidden?

Now, I know you'll say you've seen it in his first A-day game or you might reference the "long pass" he threw last week that CJ dropped. Thing about that play is it was busted play and Sims scrambled (very well I might add) and then threw a pass into an open space for CJ to run under. It's more than just being able to throw the ball 50+ yards, but it also has to do with placement, velocity and angles.

Ironically, we see Coker play a little over 2 quarters and he throws the ball long (with somewhat mixed results) several times.

To me it was pretty obvious that Coker has the ability to throw the ball vertically and it's something Sims must struggle with or else we'd see more of that.

I also disagree that with time and experience Coker could effectively run a hurry up just a well. Coker's glaring weakness right now is Blakes strength and that's crispness and confidence. Once (if) Coker get's that I think he'll be able to do everything Blake can, except scramble as well.

I just don't think the coaches are trying to hide the BS CAN throw the long ball, but maybe they are trying to keep him from doing something he CAN'T do as effectively as he can throw short to intermidiate throws.

Sims practically admitted that today and Cecil Hurt tweeted it when Sims says his weakness is Coker's strength and vice versa.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This long ball stuff is over rated. It's been said for years that you don't have to complete them just go deep to keep them honest. Just being able to throw the deep ball isn't the end all be all of playing qb. If that's all coker's got on Sims then this isn't even a discussion.

Tidefan1

Scout Team
Aug 21, 2013
I want to see more designed QB draws from Sims. He is a great runner and they need to take advantage of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd like to see that as well. Perhaps coach doesn't want to risk injury in these early games where it isn't needed as much.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This long ball stuff is over rated. It's been said for years that you don't have to complete them just go deep to keep them honest. Just being able to throw the deep ball isn't the end all be all of playing qb. If that's all coker's got on Sims then this isn't even a discussion.
I respect that point of view. But if the long ball isn't important to our coaching staff, why such a difference in the play calling today between Sims and Coker?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I have been watching CFB all afternoon, skipping from game to game after Bama's game went out. Other than maybe Connor Cook, Sims has looked as good as any qb...and better than most. Does he have a cannon? No...but sometimes the guy w/o a cannon is more precise and more dangerous.

On to Southern Miss and then UF...the Gators looked really fast today.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I respect that point of view. But if the long ball isn't important to our coaching staff, why such a difference in the play calling today between Sims and Coker?
I didn't say it's not important I'm just saying it's not the be all end all of playing qb. Jake Coker has so much to work on in his game even if he can throw the deep ball better he's no where close to running g this offense.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I got about 3 minutes into the video and it tells me why he was recruited as an athlete not a qb.

Just one question then: We've seen Blake play 5 full quarters. If he can really throw the deep ball well, why haven't we seen prooof of that? Do we really think the coaches are keeping that hidden?

Now, I know you'll say you've seen it in his first A-day game or you might reference the "long pass" he threw last week that CJ dropped. Thing about that play is it was busted play and Sims scrambled (very well I might add) and then threw a pass into an open space for CJ to run under. It's more than just being able to throw the ball 50+ yards, but it also has to do with placement, velocity and angles.

Ironically, we see Coker play a little over 2 quarters and he throws the ball long (with somewhat mixed results) several times.

To me it was pretty obvious that Coker has the ability to throw the ball vertically and it's something Sims must struggle with or else we'd see more of that.

I also disagree that with time and experience Coker could effectively run a hurry up just a well. Coker's glaring weakness right now is Blakes strength and that's crispness and confidence. Once (IF) Coker get's that I think he'll be able to do everything Blake can, except scramble as well.

I just don't think the coaches are trying to hide the BS CAN throw the long ball, but maybe they are trying to keep him from doing something he CAN'T do as effectively as he can throw short to intermidiate throws.

Sims practically admitted that today and Cecil Hurt tweeted it when Sims says his weakness is Coker's strength and vice versa.
You said it...

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
No matter what Sims does, some folks will just refuse to be satisfied. People want to talk about Coker and the deep ball, but they seem to forget that Coker's timing still isn't very good with his receivers. That caused several balls to be under thrown, forcing the receivers to hold up and use their athleticism to get the ball at it's highest points. That works against teams like FAU and Southern Miss, but an elite corner will be able to knock those away or even pick those off. Coker also threw several intermediate passes at the feet of his receivers. For example, the screen pass that Amari caught for his 13th of the day was nearly a one hopper. I thought Coker had a good game, but he was bailed out by his receivers multiple times.

On the flip side, Sims doesn't throw it long very often, but he is insanely accurate and he has perfect timing with his receivers. I don't know why people are getting so upset by the play calling for Sims, because you take what the defense gives you, and you play to the strength of your players. I love what we are doing with Sims right now, and I have no doubts that he can uncork the long ball any time he needs to.

I for one love the quarterback play right now by Sims. I'm not as enamored as Andre Ware is, but I am excited to see how far BS can take us.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup & I have no doubts we could run the table to make it into the playoff & win the SEC with Blake running our offense..I still hope we see both QB's play in every game..I think Blake has earned the starting spot & shoul be named the starter..And Coker can still get plenty of reps each game with Blake being the starter..It would be a nightmare for D's to prepare for both QB's..JMHO
No matter what Sims does, some folks will just refuse to be satisfied. People want to talk about Coker and the deep ball, but they seem to forget that Coker's timing still isn't very good with his receivers. That caused several balls to be under thrown, forcing the receivers to hold up and use their athleticism to get the ball at it's highest points. That works against teams like FAU and Southern Miss, but an elite corner will be able to knock those away or even pick those off. Coker also threw several intermediate passes at the feet of his receivers. For example, the screen pass that Amari caught for his 13th of the day was nearly a one hopper. I thought Coker had a good game, but he was bailed out by his receivers multiple times.

On the flip side, Sims doesn't throw it long very often, but he is insanely accurate and he has perfect timing with his receivers. I don't know why people are getting so upset by the play calling for Sims, because you take what the defense gives you, and you play to the strength of your players. I love what we are doing with Sims right now, and I have no doubts that he can uncork the long ball any time he needs to.

I for one love the quarterback play right now by Sims. I'm not as enamored as Andre Ware is, but I am excited to see how far BS can take us.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
What an interesting QB situation we have. One guy has nearly elite-level completion percentage with the short stuff, good game management, decent pocket presence with very good legs, but seems to float in the long balls that expose his receivers. The other guy has shown a more dynamic long game but struggles with most of the things Sims does well, most importantly is less reliable in the short game and poorer game management. If the flub at the end of the first half had the game on the line, we would all be ballistic.

If I had to go with just one guy right now, it would be Sims. I think Coker could be a very good qb next year or even mid season. I hope they both get snaps and a chance to develop.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
The funny thing is that it may be many years before we see another 4 year starter at quarterback, and we may not again under Saban. I just really feel like Sims will be our guy for the rest of the year barring injury or collapse. That means that Coker will have one year of eligibility and no chance of going into the NFL, so that most likely leaves him as the front runner for the job in 2015. In 2016 We will have the possibility of Cornwell who will be RS Soph, Bateman who would be a Sr, and Barnett who would be either RS Fr or Soph. Of course everything could change between now and then, but it definitely does not look like we will have to start a freshman starting for us at QB anytime soon.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
What an interesting QB situation we have. One guy has nearly elite-level completion percentage with the short stuff, good game management, decent pocket presence with very good legs, but seems to float in the long balls that expose his receivers. The other guy has shown a more dynamic long game but struggles with most of the things Sims does well, most importantly is less reliable in the short game and poorer game management. If the flub at the end of the first half had the game on the line, we would all be ballistic.

If I had to go with just one guy right now, it would be Sims. I think Coker could be a very good qb next year or even mid season. I hope they both get snaps and a chance to develop.
Very fair accessment and for what I've seen so for, I say you are right.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.