Do you think Sims separated himself further today?

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Fans going back and forth discussing which QB is the best option for us doesn't bother me as long as it's kept respectful. Some here seem to display if not a lack of trust but a lack of faith in the coaching staff to do what's right for the team and that bugs the stew out of me, it's insane. I think the two players are handling this much better than us fans are.
Its gotten a little too personal for my liking. its like some fans forget that they play on the same team....the team we all root for.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
It just might do wonders for CNS to name Blake the starter now. It has to be very stressful to have that decision hanging over your head. He possibly could perform better without the stress. Coach knows the guys a lot better than any of us so he will make the right decision.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Its gotten a little too personal for my liking. its like some fans forget that they play on the same team....the team we all root for.
I like both our guys and want the best for them and the team but I'm just a fan. The coaches are paid very well and have a bigger stake in it than any of us and they certainly know the locker room better than any of us. We have 2 very good options right now, let's enjoy it.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I think Blake is our QB and I'm super impressed with his progress. He's making fast decisions and threw the ball on a rope on all the crosses, slants, swings, and screens. He's also making it impossible to sack us with his escapability in the pocket.

I also like how he's hanging in the pocket and only running when he has to do it. The team as a whole ran smoother with him running the show. It seemed part team chemistry and part Blake processing the play calls faster.

I'm fine with Coker continuing to get game experience but I kind of want Blake to be officially named starter before the FLA game at this point.

Lastly CLK is MASTERFULLY calling plays and him being on the sideline is working perfect. We don't NEED the deep pass right now because we are throwing it 'where they ain't' and taking full advantage of our WR's lethal YAC ability....esp. Coop and The Drake.

Im very happy with what I'm seeing on offense and from #6.
I have one major concern...
Neither team we have played are near SEC caliber. SEC teams will bring more heat.
Things that were easy last week and this week will no longer be easy.
I love the elusiveness of Blake, but I think we may eventually need to go down the field if we are to continue to win.
Each guy brings something different to the table.

The biggest problem with teams who go the two QB route, is when a new QB enters the game he will be targeted.
Sometimes the team looses momentum they don't get back...

IMO: Blake looked 100% better than last week. And that may be enough to land the Starting job.
If Jake shows the same improvement during the week that Blake did..., we will still be right here arguing.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Neither guy can make "all" the throws right now.

Look, you are so bent on defending Blake that you will not even consider the possibility that someone else could start. Wow. Talking about close minded. I quit . I haven't seen anyone saying Coker should start. Only that ideally the offense would be better with a strong armed QB . Not a single post have I said anyone should start except before the season when I said Sims should start. And yes Coker has the physical tools to make all the throws. Just doesn't have the grasp of the offense or well, anything yet. He has been unimpressive to date. Look up all my posts. At least I have been objective and admit Cokers shortcomings. Again , I quit.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I think today's game showed why Sims is the starter and that he is ahead of Coker.

I don't think Sims separated himself further; I think Coker shortened the gap as he improved during his play.
This is what I see. I think Sims is #1 unless he runs into trouble. Jake will get reps next week and if Blake has trouble managing the game with Florida, we may see a change. If Florida is beating us in the trenches or at other skill positions, I think he stays with Blake.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I like both our guys and want the best for them and the team but I'm just a fan. The coaches are paid very well and have a bigger stake in it than any of us and they certainly know the locker room better than any of us. We have 2 very good options right now, let's enjoy it.
We may be the only fan base In America that can take the fun out of a 41 point shut out. xD

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..I agree 100% with ya Earle..I hope Blake is named the starter & both QB's gets PT each game..Just cause it would be a nighmare for D's preparing for our offense & I honestly think Blake has earned being named the starter..I can see us playing both QB's with great results from here on out..JMO
I'm hoping that Coker can demonstrate enough competence (as I posted elsewhere) that they feel comfortable with running some plays featuring Sims' dual role advantages...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It has nothing to do with who has the most lose. It has everything to do with having to deal with a situation that more than likely would train wreck this season. It's about dealing with reality and I can dang near promise you that outside of a monumental meltdown by Sims and replacing Coker with Dan Marino in his prime. If CNS decides to not go with Sims as our starter there will be backlash in the locker room. I'm just pointing that out. I'm not trying to discuss who has the most to lose or any of that. That is irrelevant.

Well if CNS does name Coker the starter and the team quits on him because they don't agree with the decision then THEY ( the team) will have to deal with the consequences of going against saban's will. If you need an example of this look at dJ Hall and Keith Brown. Granted different circumstances but people who use this arguement act like saban has more to lose out of this. He has won 4 nattys and has the greatest job security and job inquiry in the nation. The players might have NFL caliber but cross Saban and getting to the show could be a living Hades for them. So they might not like it but they are going to accept the decision or going to put their future in jeapordy.

I think Blake has earned the start, but I think the staff wants to make sure we have a viable backup in case of injury, quicksand syndrome, and grooming Coker for eventual playing time next year. As far as the upside I think it is apparent that if Coker masters the play book and his timing he really could be the qb that jumbo hyped him up to be, but until then trust the LaneTrain.
Rtr

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Look, you are so bent on defending Blake that you will not even consider the possibility that someone else could start. Wow. Talking about close minded. I quit . I haven't seen anyone saying Coker should start. Only that ideally the offense would be better with a strong armed QB . Not a single post have I said anyone should start except before the season when I said Sims should start. And yes Coker has the physical tools to make all the throws. Just doesn't have the grasp of the offense or well, anything yet. He has been unimpressive to date. Look up all my posts. At least I have been objective and admit Cokers shortcomings. Again , I quit.
I said NEITHER GUY. Please tell me how that is closed minded.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It has nothing to do with who has the most lose. It has everything to do with having to deal with a situation that more than likely would train wreck this season. It's about dealing with reality and I can dang near promise you that outside of a monumental meltdown by Sims and replacing Coker with Dan Marino in his prime. If CNS decides to not go with Sims as our starter there will be backlash in the locker room. I'm just pointing that out. I'm not trying to discuss who has the most to lose or any of that. That is irrelevant.
There will be more backlash if we have an offense that plays mainly behind, or within 10 yards, of the LOS and we lose 3 or 4 games because we can't keep the opponent from stacking the box..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I said NEITHER GUY. Please tell me how that is closed minded.
Because JC can make all the throws in college and NFL. He just isn't up to speed yet because he has been on campus for what 6 weeks. Blake has been here 5 years and is barley ahead of him..

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I mega-loathe the idea of #teamblake .v. #teamJacob. Too "Twilight" for my taste. As long as both are Crimson Tide QB's, I will support either player at QB. If Sims is the guy, GREAT, if it's Coker, GREAT, I'm on the #teamCrimsonTide.

We want both guys to play well.
Thats why my post was in blue.. Btw

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
You know, maybe the better debate here is how well Lane Kiffin is handling the play calling vs. what we might be going through if Nuss was still here.

CLK seems to get the ball to his play makers (except OJ Howard whose picture is on a milk jug right now). He also seems to see the soft spots on d and I'd say, based on what we saw today with the two qbs, calls plays based on their individual skills.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
There will be more backlash if we have an offense that plays mainly behind, or within 10 yards, of the LOS and we lose 3 or 4 games because we can't keep the opponent from stacking the box..
When the signs of that begin to happen it should be addressed, not after we've lost three games. But you don't make quarterback decisions based on someone's "upside" and what you think might will happen. You make the decision based on which player is playing the best.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.