Do you think Sims separated himself further today?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It has nothing to do with who has the most lose. It has everything to do with having to deal with a situation that more than likely would train wreck this season. It's about dealing with reality and I can dang near promise you that outside of a monumental meltdown by Sims and replacing Coker with Dan Marino in his prime. If CNS decides to not go with Sims as our starter there will be backlash in the locker room. I'm just pointing that out. I'm not trying to discuss who has the most to lose or any of that. That is irrelevant.
I never said that Saban is going with that decision and I have been saying for about two weeks since the scrimmage Blake probably has won the job for at least the Florida game. I think there will be some mixed feelings if he puts Coker out there when Blake it appears Blake has done nothing to lose it, but I absolutely think there is no way in god's green earth that they will openly fight saban's law if that happens and ruin the season based on that decision.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
You know, maybe the better debate here is how well Lane Kiffin is handling the play calling vs. what we might be going through if Nuss was still here.

CLK seems to get the ball to his play makers (except OJ Howard whose picture is on a milk jug right now). He also seems to see the soft spots on d and I'd say, based on what we saw today with the two qbs, calls plays based on their individual skills.

Yeah, scary to think if Nuss was still here. It would be a mess.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
This has gotten downright nasty, hard to believe this much emotion tied up in the coaches decision. People basically saying the coach is wrong if....... He doesn't do as they think he should. I understand CNS being upset with the fan base. Seems like everyone just must be right.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
You know, maybe the better debate here is how well Lane Kiffin is handling the play calling vs. what we might be going through if Nuss was still here.

CLK seems to get the ball to his play makers (except OJ Howard whose picture is on a milk jug right now). He also seems to see the soft spots on d and I'd say, based on what we saw today with the two qbs, calls plays based on their individual skills.
I'm liking the hire right now, very impressed.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Sims looked good at times today. He made some errors and has plenty of room for improvement.

Ditto Jake Coker.

Sims has better control of the game and got better effort from other players.

I am for the Alabama Crimson Tide football TEAM. I could care less who the quarter back is or who the waterboy is as long as that person gives my TEAM the best chance of winning, all thinga considered. I trust CNS to make that decision, given his track record.

Roll Tide Roll!!!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I never said that Saban is going with that decision and I have been saying for about two weeks since the scrimmage Blake probably has won the job for at least the Florida game. I think there will be some mixed feelings if he puts Coker out there when Blake it appears Blake has done nothing to lose it, but I absolutely think there is no way in god's green earth that they will openly fight saban's law if that happens and ruin the season based on that decision.
They don't have to openly fight it. It will avenue itself in the games as it did today. It was obvious how the guys played for one QB compared to the other. It will avenue itself through "whispers" among the players and in the locker room. Which again, all impacts what goes on on the field.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
When the signs of that begin to happen it should be addressed, not after we've lost three games. But you don't make quarterback decisions based on someone's "upside" and what you think might will happen. You make the decision based on which player is playing the best.
If you you're current starter is as good as he is going to be and he can't get you to where you want to go then yes you make your decision on the other guy who could get you over the top. If Blake could get us over the top why the ongoing competition? Blake is as good as he will be. He won't magically gain arm strength overnight. There is hope JC can get the offense down and start playing faster. You have to be forward thinking to stay ahead of the game..

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
Our offensive line will decide who is in the game. If the o-line is prote ting poorly Sims is your guy. If your getting good protection Coker will shine.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Because JC can make all the throws in college and NFL. He just isn't up to speed yet because he has been on campus for what 6 weeks. Blake has been here 5 years and is barley ahead of him..
This was my post in the postgame thread.

Coker threw deep several times. Have to wonder if Saban and Kiffin called those plays to show him the other options rather than always going for the home run.

I liked what I saw from Jake in the second half. He's not consistent, though. That can really hurt us later in the season. That can also be fixed with more playing time. Would expect to see a similar rotation against USM next week.
As everyone can see, I clearly want Coker to never play for Alabama. When I say "neither guy make all the throws," I was referencing Jake's inconsistency. He over threw a screen or two. He had a screen pass that was almost a one-hopper.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
I've seen calls from some fans for us to run some read option plays with Blake Sims. I couldn't disagree more. You run the offense as it is. Blake uses his feet and athletic ability within the offense (i.e. keeping plays alive with his feet, turning a would be sack into a 5 yard gain, and stuff like this ). Keeping the offense as it is keeps ALL of our options open, except of course O.J. Howard. *shrug*

So for me, I see Blake as more Steve Young (running only when and because you have to) rather than Mike Vick (a running back playing QB).
I'm not suggesting we get some run/pass options in the game plan in order to broaden our offense as much as I am because of the time a defense has to spend working on it. It's like the Wildcat only with your existing QB... if you'll do it a couple of series, it forces the opposing DC to spend valuable prep time with his defense. Also, the thought HAS crossed my mind that CNS seems to prefer a pro-style QB because that's the majority of the guys he's had at that position on his teams. Now that he's got a dual-threat guy, who's to say he might not be open to adding some wrinkles.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

I think we might *might* not have beaten WV w/ Nuss calling plays. CLK has been putting on a masterclass in playcalling against what the opposing defense is doing while also playing to the QB strengths AND taking advantage of playmakers like Cooper, Black, Drake and White.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm not suggesting we get some run/pass options in the game plan in order to broaden our offense as much as I am because of the time a defense has to spend working on it. It's like the Wildcat only with your existing QB... if you'll do it a couple of series, it forces the opposing DC to spend valuable prep time with his defense. Also, the thought HAS crossed my mind that CNS seems to prefer a pro-style QB because that's the majority of the guys he's had at that position on his teams. Now that he's got a dual-threat guy, who's to say he might not be open to adding some wrinkles.
He keeps on trying to recruit dual-threat types of guys...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Our offensive line will decide who is in the game. If the o-line is prote ting poorly Sims is your guy. If your getting good protection Coker will shine.
I saw three things that Coker did today that I haven't seen Sims do yet:

1. He stood tall in the pocket and looked off two receivers before he threw to a third one; about a 15 yard completion.

2. He stood in the pocket and threw a long pass to A. Stewart which was about a 30 yard pass and Coker got hit by two players as soon as he let the ball go. He popped right up...he's a big kid.

3. He allowed the rush to come before he threw a beautiful screen pass, with perfect touch, just over the linemans outstretched arms...first one like that I've remember us running all year long. I'm not sure BS could have made that pass with his lack of height.

Of course, the long ball debate might apply here too, but I'll just give those three things.

I think this is part of what the coaches see that makes Coker attractive, despite his rustiness at this point.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If you you're current starter is as good as he is going to be and he can't get you to where you want to go then yes you make your decision on the other guy who could get you over the top. If Blake could get us over the top why the ongoing competition? Blake is as good as he will be. He won't magically gain arm strength overnight. There is hope JC can get the offense down and start playing faster. You have to be forward thinking to stay ahead of the game..
If Coker was named the starter after next week we'd basically be admitting that we're going to possibly concede losing a few games this year to prepare for next season. Because after seeing what I saw today, against an EXTREMELY out manned opponent, I have no doubt we'd lose a few games due to him not knowing the offense or being comfortable in what he's doing. It's going to take Coker a while to get this offense down and work out the other kinks he has. During that process I'd put my retirement on us losing a few games in the in between. With the talent we have right now on the team you don't make those type of concessions.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If Coker was named the starter after next week we'd basically be admitting that we're going to possibly concede losing a few games this year to prepare for next season. Because after seeing what I saw today, against an EXTREMELY out manned opponent. It's going to take Coker a while to get this offense down and work out the other kinks he has. During that process I'd put my retirement on us losing a few games in the in between. With the talent we have right now on the team you don't make those type of concessions.
Nah I think once JC gets a little more PT under his belt he will be good to go. I feel like we will concede a couple games this year if we play BS all year. We at least have a chance to run the table with JC if he can put it all together - which he is very close to doing..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.