Do you think Sims separated himself further today?

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Coker did go for some deep passes but they were all pretty well covered. It wasn't a double coverage situation but the balls weren't throw particularly well. I don't mind single coverage shots from time to time but Coker seemed to go after it a bit to often. He has a great arm but at this point not the best decision making skills. I can see where he could be really good down the road.

I would like like to see sims throw a couple of deep passes next week just to get a look. He is good from 20 yards and in. He has had several nice passes dropped. It would answer some questions if he would take a couple of shots.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Nah I think once JC gets a little more PT under his belt he will be good to go. I feel like we will concede a couple games this year if we play BS all year. We at least have a chance to run the table with JC if he can put it all together - which he is very close to doing..
We must have watched a different Jake Coker today. We'll just agree to disagree...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
We must have watched a different Jake Coker today. We'll just agree to disagree...
I'll just say this, if the coaches didn't think JC had the potential to start this year I don't think they would be taking valuable game reps away from Sims - or keep the QB competition going. We still have a couple weeks till we play a meaningful game. That's plenty of time IMO from where he is now..

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Nah I think once JC gets a little more PT under his belt he will be good to go. I feel like we will concede a couple games this year if we play BS all year. We at least have a chance to run the table with JC if he can put it all together - which he is very close to doing..
Do you think we would have beat WVU with Coker after what we saw today? Honest question.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They don't have to openly fight it. It will avenue itself in the games as it did today. It was obvious how the guys played for one QB compared to the other. It will avenue itself through "whispers" among the players and in the locker room. Which again, all impacts what goes on on the field.
Well I guess you and me have a very different take on that.
The reason i say that is because it is obvious jake is still learning and they are slowing it down for him. It was a very apparent that when he ran 90% of the plays in the 2nd half compared to the second 50% of the first half there is a world of difference in the constant tempo. It would be like putting mccarron in oregons offense after mariotta scored 4 Tds in the 1st quarter. The team would be used to being like a nascar when the incoming qb would be a classic muscle car.

Idk where this leads eventually,and I'm not on one side or another. But everyone has their own opinions on the matter like I have mine but it's ultimately up to CNS and CLk and I trust the players will accept their decision either way.

If I was to give an honest assessment it would be that Blake will get the start the remainder of the year but it wouldn't surprise me if USM wouldn't be the last we see Coker in a meaningful snap this year though. But Coker 2015 is more of a reality than Coker perfected in the next 3 games but who knows about the legitimacy of the stacked box with no verticals threat problem? We won't know until the Saturday after next.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Really? I don't think the QB makes a difference. If we lose a game...it will be our defense allowing big plays. I think either QB can get the ball to our playmakers in different ways.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Do you think we would have beat WVU with Coker after what we saw today? Honest question.
Yep. And JC would be one game closer to reaching his full potential. Instead he his one game behind. Go ahead and anoint Blake if you want. I wasn't impressed with the 15 bubble screens he threw today. I was more impressed with JC standing in the pocket, going through progressions, and delivering a strike down field..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Really? I don't think the QB makes a difference. If we lose a game...it will be our defense allowing big plays. I think either QB can get the ball to our playmakers in different ways.
If we can't stretch the field then LSU, AU, and aTm stack the box on us and then we have no ground game also. Those teams aren't going to allow 15 bubble screens to cooper for 200 yards. Please believe that..

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If we can't stretch the field then LSU, AU, and aTm stack the box on us and then we have no ground game also. Those teams aren't going to allow 15 bubble screens to cooper for 200 yards. Please believe that..
Well those three teams you named would not have a chance to stop our run if they put 22 men in the box they are built to stop finesse teams not power run teams. Now if you wanna throw UGA , ole miss, and UF in there I can see your concern

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Yep. And JC would be one game closer to reaching his full potential. Instead he his one game behind. Go ahead and anoint Blake if you want. I wasn't impressed with the 15 bubble screens he threw today. I was more impressed with JC standing in the pocket, going through progressions, and delivering a strike down field..
CNS and CLK didn't think so, and neither do I.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Well those three teams you named would not have a chance to stop our run if they put 22 men in the box they are built to stop finesse teams not power run teams. Now if you wanna throw UGA , ole miss, and UF in there I can see your concern
You think those teams won't play above their heads against Bama? We couldn't get one yard three different times against AU last year..

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You think those teams won't play above their heads against Bama? We couldn't get one yard three different times against AU last year..
Lsu for the past three years had not stopped our run we lost 2011 and had to win it late in 2013 because we aired it out way too much when the run was working extremely well

ATM is ATM

Auburn I'll say if Henry was in the lineup that might've been way different

I think all the teams will play us extremely hard but it will more depend on us having a bend not break defense more than our offense scoring every possession I think we get lsu and auburn due to lsu's youth and auburn because I just get the feeling we will be gunning for them. ATM idk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Lsu for the past three years had not stopped our run we lost 2011 and had to win it late in 2013 because we aired it out way too much when the run was working extremely well

ATM is ATM

Auburn I'll say if Henry was in the lineup that might've been way different

I think all the teams will play us extremely hard but it will more depend on us having a bend not break defense more than our offense scoring every possession I think we get lsu and auburn due to lsu's youth and auburn because I just get the feeling we will be gunning for them. ATM idk
I'm just saying those teams aren't going to let us throw bubble screens and two yard slant routes the entire game. We can't take advantage of the speed of our WRs against those teams because Blake can't push it down the field, or for whatever reason he hasn't been asked to yet which doesn't really make sense..

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm just saying those teams aren't going to let us throw bubble screens and two yard slant routes the entire game. We can't take advantage of the speed of our WRs against those teams because Blake can't push it down the field, or for whatever reason he hasn't been asked to yet which doesn't really make sense..
It is a legit concern but I'm not sold that Coker is ready yet. Blake is doing great but I think the season truly begins when Florida comes to town so all we have are these arguements

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
It's funny to think about how we grew weary of Johns to LB. That was nothing.

You don't put someone in the game at this point based on potential - you earn the job by your production. Sims is our starter for the rest of the year and for good reason. Coker is likely our starter next year when he will be ready. The coaches can say there is still competition - there always is at every position. But Sims has earned the job, and he's given no reason to lose the job.

And yes, Sims separated himself today - at least in the fans' minds. The coaches probably had a good read on the situation before the game.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's funny to think about how we grew weary of Johns to LB. That was nothing.

You don't put someone in the game at this point based on potential - you earn the job by your production. Sims is our starter for the rest of the year and for good reason. Coker is likely our starter next year when he will be ready. The coaches can say there is still competition - there always is at every position. But Sims has earned the job, and he's given no reason to lose the job.

And yes, Sims separated himself today - at least in the fans' minds. The coaches probably had a good read on the situation before the game.
I have heard that CNS got very irritated in his postgame presser when some reporters assumed that Sims was now the starter. Take it for FWIW...

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I have heard that CNS got very irritated in his postgame presser when some reporters assumed that Sims was now the starter. Take it for FWIW...
Yeah, you know, it seems one of the people arguing the hardest that there's still a competition for the QB spot is Coach himself. Wish I knew why that was...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I am not sure the Alabama coaches are going to see it the way a lot of us want to, with just one starter. Alabama has a ton of reasons to want to play Coker a lot, namely because they'll probably need him next season, if not this one, and they want to keep him happy as well. The whole he has a cannon thing is an added benefit. Even if they prefer Blake, scrambling can get a QB hurt. So, having a healthy does of Coker can help keep both healthier and avoid the banged up situations we had with AJ and GMac (which limited their effectiveness). This is magnified by a potential playoff, in a playoff Gmac would have had to play two games in 10 days with a broken rib.

Sims can do a lot of different things on offense. He can run the offense at a speed I doubt Coker can ever match, he can use his SEC running back abilities to make any sort of run oriented package terrifying for opponents, and he can run a conservative, clock burning, ball protecting offense that Coker's arm is unlikely to bring Alabama.

I'm not sure how they tie all those things together, and it does seem increasingly likely that Sims end up getting the bulk of the playing time, but it doesn't seem like the coaches are in the hurry to make it a one QB situation, that some fans are. I alluded to the Florida QB situation when Tebow was a freshman in another post and this may prove to be similar. Leak was still an NFL prospect with a good year, while Tebow accounted for 13 touchdowns. Think about that, they won a title, with a starter that had a good year, then the other guy got 13 TDs. To contrast that, GMac had 18 in 2009 and JPW had 14 in 2008. Both Sims and Coker could prove to be effective if the coaches can find a balance, and the offense could be better for it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.