Do you think Sims separated himself further today?

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
I am not sure the Alabama coaches are going to see it the way a lot of us want to, with just one starter. Alabama has a ton of reasons to want to play Coker a lot, namely because they'll probably need him next season, if not this one, and they want to keep him happy as well. The whole he has a cannon thing is an added benefit. Even if they prefer Blake, scrambling can get a QB hurt. So, having a healthy does of Coker can help keep both healthier and avoid the banged up situations we had with AJ and GMac (which limited their effectiveness). This is magnified by a potential playoff, in a playoff Gmac would have had to play two games in 10 days with a broken rib.

Sims can do a lot of different things on offense. He can run the offense at a speed I doubt Coker can ever match, he can use his SEC running back abilities to make any sort of run oriented package terrifying for opponents, and he can run a conservative, clock burning, ball protecting offense that Coker's arm is unlikely to bring Alabama.

I'm not sure how they tie all those things together, and it does seem increasingly likely that Sims end up getting the bulk of the playing time, but it doesn't seem like the coaches are in the hurry to make it a one QB situation, that some fans are. I alluded to the Florida QB situation when Tebow was a freshman in another post and this may prove to be similar. Leak was still an NFL prospect with a good year, while Tebow accounted for 13 touchdowns. Think about that, they won a title, with a starter that had a good year, then the other guy got 13 TDs. To contrast that, GMac had 18 in 2009 and JPW had 14 in 2008. Both Sims and Coker could prove to be effective if the coaches can find a balance, and the offense could be better for it.
This is ALABAMA. Coach Saban is not worried about next season, I promise you. He couldn't care less how happy Coker is, beyond bruising his confidence. Coker hasn't shown the field presence to lead this team.(or FSU) Right now it's Blake's job to lose whether some fans like it or not.

Last edited:

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I believe Sims has put even more distance between himself and Coker today. Sims looked more crisp, the offense was smoother, and seemed to make all the right decisions. I like Coker, but he needs a year in this offense under his belt before he is given the keys to the car.

My take Sims is feeling the game and not having to over think. He is leading drive after drive down the field. He took what the defense gave him. Coker is not comfortable with the receivers or playbook. He is over thinking, trying to do too much, and forcing the ball a little too much. The drive before half shows some o these mistakes.He will get better with time.

Everyone complains about not having a vertical game with Sims. From my view the coaches let Coker attack deep a lot more than we let Sims attempt. I do not know if this was designed or if Coker is trying to go deep in most passes. What do you all think?
Due to his injury last season Coker hasn't played in a while so he's bound to be rusty. I think CNS will allow for that in grading the QB's. I'm beginning to to think we'll use both QB's the whole year and not just in mop up duty for one or the other.

If that's how it plays out it might be a good thing since defenses would have to prepare for and defend two different styles of the same offense.

My big concern, and CNS's as well right now, is both QB's are having play calling problems. Sims despite the claim he knew the offense really well has called the wrong plays and formations in both games. Coker may need a lot more time before he knows the offense well enough so I think Kiffin calling the plays from the sideline without much of a traditional huddle will be a permanent fixture this year.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I have heard that CNS got very irritated in his postgame presser when some reporters assumed that Sims was now the starter. Take it for FWIW...
I think yesterday was a bit of a demonstration of the strength's and weakness's of both QB's for fans with an open mind and a little knowledge to see. CNS said after the game we will need both of them at some time during the season. It's obvious to me neither is considered a complete answer to what we need at this time. Blake's comments after the game back that up. The position is just one of many questions this team has but it's the one everyone wants to dwell on.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I wouldn't argue that Coker is ready to start, necessarily. It's obvious he's not as comfortable and crisp as Sims.

But it appears CNS is determined to get JC some more reps. No, I don't think it has anything to do with getting him ready for next year. We sure didn't see him doing that with BS last year to get him ready for this year. CNS plays one year at a time.

CNS may decide on one qb eventually, and right now it looks like Sims has the advantage in the race, but I can certainly see why he wants Coker to have his opportunity and it's more pt that will scrape the rust off and get him closer to his true potential.

The elephant in the room is "Can CNS play two qbs effectively through the meat of our SEC schedule?" Whew! That makes my head hurt to even consider it!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I have heard that CNS got very irritated in his postgame presser when some reporters assumed that Sims was now the starter. Take it for FWIW...
Earle do you get the feeling this is going to be a competition until Coker beats out Sims? Because unless Saban is just trying to develop Sims and get him caught up just in case Sims gets hurt. This doesn't look like a "competition" because Sims looks so much ahead of Coker.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The interview with the Bama broadcast guys is when Saban really let it rip. About who plays qb, he went on about not liking the fans having a favorite to start, and seemed insulted that the fans weren't willing to settle for his judgment. The more he said, the more worked up he got about it. The one direct quote I think I'm right about was when he said directly to the fans "I don't care what you think!"

He obviously doesn't care what the Bama fans think, but I would remind him the intense interest in the Bama team is an important part of why he can make 7 million a year coaching here. To expect the fans to not discuss or have opinions about the quarterback is asking a little too much in my opinion.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
For those of you concerned that SEC defenses are going to feast on the little hitch routes and bubble screens......have you met our Coach? His name is Nick Saban. In case you were not aware, he's pretty good at developing talent and molding it to fit his system.

I would guess Blake has been developed to stare down the DB, and we will see some fake throws and then you'll see some out of position DBs giving up some long catch and runs

Some of us make $7 million a year to coach College Football. Some of us get paid nothing to whine about it. Jess pays me $50/week to click on ads (j/k)....we all have a job to do.

Let Coach do his.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Can we get thru a day without a thread or two debating on who we think should be our starting QB? Geez, just enjoy the dominating performance and praise the players for doing well. Blake did great and is a true team player. Jacob did well and will continue to get reps.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The interview with the Bama broadcast guys is when Saban really let it rip. About who plays qb, he went on about not liking the fans having a favorite to start, and seemed insulted that the fans weren't willing to settle for his judgment. The more he said, the more worked up he got about it. The one direct quote I think I'm right about was when he said directly to the fans "I don't care what you think!"

He obviously doesn't care what the Bama fans think, but I would remind him the intense interest in the Bama team is an important part of why he can make 7 million a year coaching here. To expect the fans to not discuss or have opinions about the quarterback is asking a little too much in my opinion.
If he was truly irritated it was at the media asking the question. He knows fans are going to be fans. He gave everybody a nice little reminder who was in charge. Players understand, fans and the pot stirring media need to understand too.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
This is ALABAMA. Coach Saban is not worried about next season, I promise you. He couldn't care less how happy Coker is, beyond bruising his confidence. Coker hasn't shown the field presence to lead this team.(or FSU) Right now it's Blake's job to lose whether some fans like it or not.
CNS is not worried about next season? Wow ... who knew?!

Both QBs bring immediate needs to the table and I really have no personal preference in this argument. I do see why CNS is riding both horses and believe he will continue to do so until Coker is ready to take the reigns; that does not necessarily mean this year. As long as the dual threat continues, teams must prepare for both. I think I will just enjoy the ride.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
If he was truly irritated it was at the media asking the question. He knows fans are going to be fans. He gave everybody a nice little reminder who was in charge. Players understand, fans and the pot stirring media need to understand too.
Here's Jess's version of the post game interviews:
But in his post-game press statements following Alabama’s rain-shortened 41-0 romp over Florida Atlantic, he had a message for fans who have a specific favorite in the ongoing battle for Alabama’s quarterback position: Basically, shut up.

Saban’s comments to the media were direct, but even more direct was his address to the fans while on the postgame radio show with Phil Savage and Eli Gold. Saban doesn’t care who someone’s favorite quarterback is. And he seemed annoyed that people would be picking favorites.

We’ve touched on this phenomena before, how Alabama fans treat Saban’s brushbacks like Kevin Bacon’s character Chip treated paddle licks during Omega initiation in “Animal House” – thank you coach, may we have another?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Some people don't want to let go of the Coker thing, no matter how well Sims plays.
After this past weekend, Coker got better in the 2nd half (his play in the first half was below par but not horrible) and closed the gap a little bit IMO.

To me, this is a bit alarming: If you'll notice, the Coker critics are critiquing on the very fundamental parts of being a QB (pocket presence, stepping into throws, reaction and thinking speed) while the Coker apologists are nit-picking at Sims (eyes, throwing deep, etc.). That tells you something I think.

I am looking forward to seeing more of Coker against Sou. Miss. -- he at least deserves some playing time for more evaluation (even if for next season consideration) but so far, it's beyond obvious that Sims gives us the better chance to win. For the life of me, I cannot understand why so many Alabama fans (way more so outside of this board mind you -- this is the best fan board I have ever had the privilege to be around with very knowledgeable and classy fans) don't see this. Any candid talks I've had with fans of other teams who have watched our two games thus far have been overwhelmingly in favor of Sims starting if their team was in the same situation with these 2 QB's.

I don't understand the disdain for Sims from our own fans. I really don't.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The media is stirring the pot. Coach isn't going to hear a thing fans say without the media telling him and naturally only the extreme opinions. I think most fans have complete faith in the coaches. They don't necessarily post on message boards.
Ok Chip. ;)

Jay Hughes

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2008
Newnan, GA
For those of you concerned that SEC defenses are going to feast on the little hitch routes and bubble screens......have you met our Coach? His name is Nick Saban. In case you were not aware, he's pretty good at developing talent and molding it to fit his system.

I would guess Blake has been developed to stare down the DB, and we will see some fake throws and then you'll see some out of position DBs giving up some long catch and runs

Some of us make $7 million a year to coach College Football. Some of us get paid nothing to whine about it. Jess pays me $50/week to click on ads (j/k)....we all have a job to do.

Let Coach do his.
I fully trust Coach Saban but I always enjoy reading the opinions and the back and forth banter from the members of this forum. I don't post much, but I read this forum daily.

Your post made me want to ask the question of what is the purpose or intent of this forum if not to discuss and share varying viewpoints of the team that we all so passionately love. No, I didn't attend the University so I guess I was born a sidewalk fan. That doesn't mean I am any less passionate about the team.

I don't understand when I read where someone says we basically shouldn't be discussing our opinions, which are differing most times, on a discussion forum which should encourage varying opinions.

Anyway, rant over. I love this forum and Roll Tide!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle do you get the feeling this is going to be a competition until Coker beats out Sims? Because unless Saban is just trying to develop Sims and get him caught up just in case Sims gets hurt. This doesn't look like a "competition" because Sims looks so much ahead of Coker.
Well, despite the fact that Coker is not as familiar with the offense, he's making fewer mistakes in play calling. BS called a bunch wrong in the WVU game. Saban was not kidding when he said that they went no-huddle to eliminate bad calls. The fumble yesterday was on Sims. He called one play and ran another. I think they're holding the competition open to see if either BS can stop making mistakes or if Coker can catch up enough on the offense to be effective and eliminate his judgment mistakes, like the one right at the half yesterday.A friend of mine nailed it when he said that Coker looked like a very talented freshman QB, which, in a sense, he is...

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I am not sure the Alabama coaches are going to see it the way a lot of us want to, with just one starter. Alabama has a ton of reasons to want to play Coker a lot, namely because they'll probably need him next season, if not this one, and they want to keep him happy as well. The whole he has a cannon thing is an added benefit. Even if they prefer Blake, scrambling can get a QB hurt. So, having a healthy does of Coker can help keep both healthier and avoid the banged up situations we had with AJ and GMac (which limited their effectiveness). This is magnified by a potential playoff, in a playoff Gmac would have had to play two games in 10 days with a broken rib.

Sims can do a lot of different things on offense. He can run the offense at a speed I doubt Coker can ever match, he can use his SEC running back abilities to make any sort of run oriented package terrifying for opponents, and he can run a conservative, clock burning, ball protecting offense that Coker's arm is unlikely to bring Alabama.

I'm not sure how they tie all those things together, and it does seem increasingly likely that Sims end up getting the bulk of the playing time, but it doesn't seem like the coaches are in the hurry to make it a one QB situation, that some fans are. I alluded to the Florida QB situation when Tebow was a freshman in another post and this may prove to be similar. Leak was still an NFL prospect with a good year, while Tebow accounted for 13 touchdowns. Think about that, they won a title, with a starter that had a good year, then the other guy got 13 TDs. To contrast that, GMac had 18 in 2009 and JPW had 14 in 2008. Both Sims and Coker could prove to be effective if the coaches can find a balance, and the offense could be better for it.

Great post, KrAzY3 as always. Personally, I feel that Sims gives us the best chance if we had to stick with 1 QB BUT... I would be more than ok with it if CNS used both throughout the season. At the college level, I'm not one who buys into the "if you have 2 QB's, then you have no QB" argument.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I fully trust Coach Saban but I always enjoy reading the opinions and the back and forth banter from the members of this forum. I don't post much, but I read this forum daily.

Your post made me want to ask the question of what is the purpose or intent of this forum if not to discuss and share varying viewpoints of the team that we all so passionately love. No, I didn't attend the University so I guess I was born a sidewalk fan. That doesn't mean I am any less passionate about the team.

I don't understand when I read where someone says we basically shouldn't be discussing our opinions, which are differing most times, on a discussion forum which should encourage varying opinions.

Anyway, rant over. I love this forum and Roll Tide!
You are correct. We are a discussion board and without discussion there would be no reason for such boards...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.