Do you think Sims separated himself further today?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well, despite the fact that Coker is not as familiar with the offense, he's making fewer mistakes in play calling. BS called a bunch wrong in the WVU game.. I think they're holding the competition open to see if either BS can stop making mistakes or if Coker can catch up enough on the offense to be effective ..
I think this is what is truly happening , but it's getting to people way too much when it's brought up. I think we have two totally different and very talented backup quarterbacks with little real game experience and it really shows both ways. But the biggest advantage we have in this dilemma is Lane Kiffin. He has put our qbs in the right position every time and has cAlled a masterful game. Really who was Jonathan Crompton before the Lane train

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
You are correct. We are a discussion board and without discussion there would be no reason for such boards...
I'm not sure if these things are available, but if you missed Saban's post game remarks to Eli, the interview is worth a replay.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
This whole deal is starting to get ridiculous, and Saban is driving it.

Flame away.
Not a flame, but you are mistaken.

What is driving this is the fact that we have 2 QB's whose overall performance is mediocre. One is a fifth year senior who can't accurately and consistently throw the deep ball but is finally cool under pressure but still despite his experience gets the calls wrong at the LOS too often. The other is a transfer with a cannon for an arm who can't accurately and consistently throw the short pass and doesn't know the plays well enough to beat out the fifth year senior. You can blame that on the head coach since he makes big money to have the responsibiity and it would be true, but he is not driving the debate. It is what it is.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Yeah, you know, it seems one of the people arguing the hardest that there's still a competition for the QB spot is Coach himself. Wish I knew why that was...
Imo its because he feels we are going to need both players to perform well this season to be successful. Take this for what its worth but I have this from a very good source. Coker may have all the physical tools, but his weakness is his fragile mental state. He has huge potential but he also has a tendency to mentally get frustrated and his play totally goes south. There have been multiple examples of this happening this fall. Just watch coach around him. Saban is censoring himself and measuring his responses and feedback. He wanted and started to chew him a new one yesterday and stopped mid scream and backed off. Have any of us seen that before from him. I dont think so. He does not want the fans/media declaring Sims the starter and saying Coker is out because he is easing him along mentally.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Wow, so 11 pages later I am caught up. I didn't get to watch the game yesterday, and thanks to some bad business by Charter I didn't get to record it either. That being said, I've read several dozen pages of analysis, stats, opinions, and everything else on the QB situation. The conclusion I have come to is similar to one that Krazy had in his post earlier.

I think we are going to see a similar situation to Tebow's Frosh year at UF. Urban played both QB's, and did it effectively. Tebow played early, but as the year progressed the packages go bigger for him (with grasp of the offense). Leak was always the starter, but wasn't the only viable option. They could ride a hot hand, or package, dependent to what the defense was giving them. If CNS an CLK can make it work, and I have confidence they can, then I think we'll continue to see both.

One thing I CAN tell you, and I feel like I can say this with 100% conviction, is that even if Coker were to be named "starter" that Sims will play. He's worked hard, grasps the offense, has the support of all those around him, and has proved effective. So I see no reason that it wouldn't work the other way as well. If Blake is named starter, we'll continue to see Coker play in chunks. Despite what some have said, CNS is always looking to next season*. If not he wouldn't be the recruiter he is.

*CNS has the rare ability to look at the here and now, the short term future, and the long term future all in the same spectrum. You see it come to fruition in the way he recruits kids, and coaches the team for upcoming games. So to say he doesn't "care" about next year is a real misnomer.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think it depends on what your goal is. If you want to have a fine, ten win season, I think Sims can deliver that. But I do not believe that he can win a national championship. Calling the wrong plays, staring down receivers, not being able to throw the ball deep, these are not minor problems; they are huge limitations. Sims is better than Coker right now, but Coker has a much higher ceiling. I think most fans are just hoping that it clicks for Coker so that he can take us to that next level. If that offense and Sims leading it puts up big numbers against Florida, I'll reconsider it. I just don't see it happening.
+1.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I think it depends on what your goal is. If you want to have a fine, ten win season, I think Sims can deliver that. But I do not believe that he can win a national championship. Calling the wrong plays, staring down receivers, not being able to throw the ball deep, these are not minor problems; they are huge limitations. Sims is better than Coker right now, but Coker has a much higher ceiling. I think most fans are just hoping that it clicks for Coker so that he can take us to that next level. If that offense and Sims leading it puts up big numbers against Florida, I'll reconsider it. I just don't see it happening.
Ten wins max for a Sims led team. I have that nagging fear too. But then I wonder if Coker was starting, how many wins would he wind up with?

I like to think while so many folks are holding their breath hoping Coker improves enough to start, we might also see continued, and significant improvement from Sims.

Maybe with kiffin's coaching, by the end of the season it will still be hard to choose which qb to play, not because of each one's weak points, but because each one is playing greatly improved ball.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Has anyone asked the question -- why are we in this position to begin with?

Why didn't one of the other QBs develop sufficiently behind AJ? Was that a Nuss problem? A team that recruits like we do -- should have never been in this position.

But, then again I look at LSU -- and they are in the same boat right now -- in fact, have been for about 6-7 years --

Yes, we see QBs flourish at other schools -- is our offense too complicated? Are we whiffing on recruits?

Right now -- I'm fine with Sims starting - I think Coker needs 2-3 series per game (regardless of who we are playing) -- at least until Auburn....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Has anyone asked the question -- why are we in this position to begin with?

Why didn't one of the other QBs develop sufficiently behind AJ? Was that a Nuss problem? A team that recruits like we do -- should have never been in this position.

But, then again I look at LSU -- and they are in the same boat right now -- in fact, have been for about 6-7 years --

Yes, we see QBs flourish at other schools -- is our offense too complicated? Are we whiffing on recruits?

Right now -- I'm fine with Sims starting - I think Coker needs 2-3 series per game (regardless of who we are playing) -- at least until Auburn....
I think a lot of it is just plain bad luck. It's so difficult to project how a QB is going to develop. P. Sims was ranked #1 or #2 pro-style QB when we recruited him out of VA. Star Jackson was also ranked very highly and we had to battle Meyer to the wall to sign him. I've gotten to the place where I don't even get excited when we recruit or sign a highly-ranked QB. I just make a mental note to check on him in a couple of years...

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
I don't think we gained much against FAU and probably won't "gain,learn,improve" next week either and I think you can tell it by Sabans tone. We need to play a real football team to truly improve and find out just where this team stands.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Why is this so volatile? It's if we talk about this enough we can end the competition. I think back to all the other times we had a QB controversy and I don't remember it having a positive effect on the team or the season. While they say they don't a good many of the coaches and players keep tabs on what is being said and it almost always makes it way back to the locker room and the staff room. I really wish we could institute some sort of cease fire or peace treaty on here for a couple of days just to let this thing die down for a bit.

The fact that CNS is addressing it publicly as directly as he is indicates to me that it has reached an unhealthy level and is impacting the development of both players.

Coker looked to me like a guy that wasn't having any fun out there yesterday. In fact i dont think we have seen a whole lot of enjoyment from the whole team to just enjoy playing together. We have several players playing uncharacteristically below their normal level namely Christion Jones who is a leader on this team. It seems the stress to win is still there and priority number one. The whole demeanor of the team changed when he came into the game. We are in a panic mode on here because on we are focused the result rather than the process.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
The interview with the Bama broadcast guys is when Saban really let it rip. About who plays qb, he went on about not liking the fans having a favorite to start, and seemed insulted that the fans weren't willing to settle for his judgment. The more he said, the more worked up he got about it. The one direct quote I think I'm right about was when he said directly to the fans "I don't care what you think!"

He obviously doesn't care what the Bama fans think, but I would remind him the intense interest in the Bama team is an important part of why he can make 7 million a year coaching here. To expect the fans to not discuss or have opinions about the quarterback is asking a little too much in my opinion.
I think Nick is trying to get the fans to tone it down a little. It is obvious some of this stuff is read by the players because Blake felt he needed to tweet what he tweeted.
The great think about football is you can discuss it long after the clock reads triple zeros. The great thing about forums is you can discuss it with everyone at anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk yuuyyyy

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
I am curious of why people think Sims has a ceiling of 10 wins? He has been consistent of moving the ball, taking what the defense gives him, and having long drives. He is the perfect type of game manager. We know what he is and if he can keep doing it consitantly we will put up lots of points this year. People who think having to throw deep every play need to take a closer look at the Saban way of football. Ball control is the way to rest your defense, keep the other offense off the field, and wear down the other defenses.

We have not seen any real double move plays that we will see in the sec games. When we throw short they will have to go to press coverage. That will open up the deep balls and double moves like sluggo, stop and goes, among others.

In my opinion, if we only win 10 games this year it will be because of our defense not offense.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I am curious of why people think Sims has a ceiling of 10 wins? He has been consistent of moving the ball, taking what the defense gives him, and having long drives. He is the perfect type of game manager. We know what he is and if he can keep doing it consitantly we will put up lots of points this year. People who think having to throw deep every play need to take a closer look at the Saban way of football. Ball control is the way to rest your defense, keep the other offense off the field, and wear down the other defenses.

We have not seen any real double move plays that we will see in the sec games. When we throw short they will have to go to press coverage. That will open up the deep balls and double moves like sluggo, stop and goes, among others.

In my opinion, if we only win 10 games this year it will be because of our defense not offense.
The argument of his ceiling being 10 wins will be proven or disproven with the Florida and ole miss games.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.