Do you think Sims separated himself further today?

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
You just answered your own question. He's the coach. Pick a guy and go. Otherwise, imnsho, he's going to start causing resentment in the locker room. That's on him. AS THE COACH.
Why "a guy"? Who says? If he is straight forward with the team about what is going on and why, the team can choose to support the program or be selfish and finish 3rd in the SEC ... their choice. I have to believe if CNS thought he had "one guy" that could do the job, we would not be having this conversation.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
I think Nick is trying to get the fans to tone it down a little. It is obvious some of this stuff is read by the players because Blake felt he needed to tweet what he tweeted.
The great think about football is you can discuss it long after the clock reads triple zeros. The great thing about forums is you can discuss it with everyone at anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk yuuyyyy
What did Blake tweet?

I don't think anyone has to worry too much about Blake's psyche. He looks to be a consummate team player and was the first one to meet Coker every time he left the field yesterday.

Coach is probably taking his hard stance about this because he doesn't want Coker feeling unduly pressured.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Why is this so volatile?... .
I don't think it is with most of us. I am fascinated to be watching possibly one of the best coaches in college history with one foot in two boats ... It will be interesting to see if he can straddle the line all the way to the championship game while trying to defense the latest and greatest gimmick in the game.

Meanwhile, I get to converse on the subject with a group of people who know way more about football than i do. And the subject is the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Dude, that is riding the first molecules of the cutting edge, it just feels volatile! :)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I fully trust Coach Saban but I always enjoy reading the opinions and the back and forth banter from the members of this forum. I don't post much, but I read this forum daily.

Your post made me want to ask the question of what is the purpose or intent of this forum if not to discuss and share varying viewpoints of the team that we all so passionately love. No, I didn't attend the University so I guess I was born a sidewalk fan. That doesn't mean I am any less passionate about the team.

I don't understand when I read where someone says we basically shouldn't be discussing our opinions, which are differing most times, on a discussion forum which should encourage varying opinions.

Anyway, rant over. I love this forum and Roll Tide!
Great post and your are 100% correct.

Jay Hughes

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2008
Newnan, GA
Why is this so volatile? It's if we talk about this enough we can end the competition. I think back to all the other times we had a QB controversy and I don't remember it having a positive effect on the team or the season. While they say they don't a good many of the coaches and players keep tabs on what is being said and it almost always makes it way back to the locker room and the staff room. I really wish we could institute some sort of cease fire or peace treaty on here for a couple of days just to let this thing die down for a bit.

The fact that CNS is addressing it publicly as directly as he is indicates to me that it has reached an unhealthy level and is impacting the development of both players.

Coker looked to me like a guy that wasn't having any fun out there yesterday. In fact i dont think we have seen a whole lot of enjoyment from the whole team to just enjoy playing together. We have several players playing uncharacteristically below their normal level namely Christion Jones who is a leader on this team. It seems the stress to win is still there and priority number one. The whole demeanor of the team changed when he came into the game. We are in a panic mode on here because on we are focused the result rather than the process.
I've got an idea. How about you take a break from reading anything concerning the QB situation for a couple of days while we enjoy some healthy debate and opinionated discussion. Lol

I don't believe what I post on a discussion board is going to affect what happens on the field. As one poster pointed out, I am not getting paid 7 million a year to have an opinion that matters. It only matters to me.

I find it funny to read some of the comments. I love the forum! The best I have been a part of.

Roll Tide! No worries! :BigA:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I understand where the poster coming from with this, because I think there's a discussion, and there's another level where it's not acceptable for us to be actinglike that. I love reading people's opinions here on forum... but however; I thought some of the comments I've seen was unncessary and uncalled for. I think there is a fine line between "discussion" and " stating what should be done opinion" Make sense?
I've got an idea. How about you take a break from reading anything concerning the QB situation for a couple of days while we enjoy some healthy debate and opinionated discussion. Lol

I don't believe what I post on a discussion board is going to affect what happens on the field. As one poster pointed out, I am not getting paid 7 million a year to have an opinion that matters. It only matters to me.

I find it funny to read some of the comments. I love the forum! The best I have been a part of.

Roll Tide! No worries! :BigA:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I can honestly say that Coach Saban is very irked with the fans right now and I think some of the stuff we're saying on forums and all is affecting the locker room atmosphere... I"m not saying we need to stop discussing this or not.. not saying that all, but I wouldn't be surprised if the players already know about what's being said on the forum and it may affect the mood in locker room at some point...... Right now, I'm proud of these two gentlemen for peforming their job on the field. I was impressed with both of them, given that both made critical mistakes and I hope they learned from that. As long they continue to improve each games, I"m happy with who we have because I have lot of confidence in both of these guys. I know Sims and Coker are real good friends with each other, and they support each other. I'm proud of them for all they have done to this date.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
All that we are doing is talking about (very cordially by most counts) is what CNS says is still happening and that is a "qb competition."

He could end it at any moment, but he's chosen to let it continue.

It seems the only people who have a problem with this discussion are the one who think CNS should "name a starter" because they believe "Sims has earned it."

Back to the OP's original question: "Do you think Sims seperated himself today?"

I think the only logical answer is "no." Since JC got his first meaningful playing time, he actually has given the staff something to review and coach him up on. I think JC getting valueable playing time and experience actually narrows the gap AND THAT SEEMS WHAT THE COACHES WANT.

Don't mean to sound like a broken record but "why wouldn't we want Coker to improve?" It'll just make Sims and the team better.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Why is this so volatile? It's if we talk about this enough we can end the competition. I think back to all the other times we had a QB controversy and I don't remember it having a positive effect on the team or the season. While they say they don't a good many of the coaches and players keep tabs on what is being said and it almost always makes it way back to the locker room and the staff room. I really wish we could institute some sort of cease fire or peace treaty on here for a couple of days just to let this thing die down for a bit.

The fact that CNS is addressing it publicly as directly as he is indicates to me that it has reached an unhealthy level and is impacting the development of both players.

Coker looked to me like a guy that wasn't having any fun out there yesterday. In fact i dont think we have seen a whole lot of enjoyment from the whole team to just enjoy playing together. We have several players playing uncharacteristically below their normal level namely Christion Jones who is a leader on this team. It seems the stress to win is still there and priority number one. The whole demeanor of the team changed when he came into the game. We are in a panic mode on here because on we are focused the result rather than the process.
Don't click on the thread then..

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I like this thinking. That's a good discussion path to start with. I don't think either separated from each other, but when you have two QBs throwing over 200 yards, that's a great problems to have. I actually think Both plays to their strength and that's not a bad thing to do. I do notice that both have same issues: Calling the right plays. The more Coker played, the more comfortable he got with offense, and I think if it had not for the delay of the game, we would've saw better peformance from him for one more series.
All that we are doing is talking about (very cordially by most counts) of what CNS says is still happening and that is a "qb competition."

He could end it at any moment, but he's chosen to let it continue.

It seems the only people who have a problem with this discussion are the one who think CNS should "name a starter" because the belive "Sims has earned it."

Back to the OP's original question: "Do you think Sims seperated himself today?"

I think the only logical answer is "no." Since JC got his first meaningful playing time, he actually has given the staff something to review and coach him up on. I think JC getting valueable playing time and experience actually narrows the gap AND THAT SEEMS WHAT THE COACHES WANT.

Don't mean to sound like a broken record but "why wouldn't we want Coker to improve?" It'll just make Sims and the team better.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I think Sims solidified his position as a winning QB. I don't think he separated himself from Coker because Coker got some valuable time that will only make him better and he didn't do too bad himself.

Put me in the Blake Sims Fan Club. Coker for next year maybe.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
We have another tuneup game this Sat. against SM. I look for both to get a lot of reps this week in practice and both play. It's better to have two that can play with different strengths and weaknesses than having only one that can play and he gets hurt.

Jay Hughes

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2008
Newnan, GA
I understand where the poster coming from with this, because I think there's a discussion, and there's another level where it's not acceptable for us to be actinglike that. I love reading people's opinions here on forum... but however; I thought some of the comments I've seen was unncessary and uncalled for. I think there is a fine line between "discussion" and " stating what should be done opinion" Make sense?
Clear as mud! Lol

Let me see if I understand this. In "your opinion," I can engage in a discussion and state my opinion as long as I am not giving my opinion concerning what I feel should be done. Sounds like great logic there! :rolleye2:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Coker's performance against FAU was mostly positive, I thought, especially given his circumstances -- new school, new coaches, new offense, first playing time since last year. I expect him to look better next Saturday in his second game, much as Sims did this Saturday in his second game. Sims looked solid in what he was asked to do.

This is good news all around

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.