Do you think Sims separated himself further today?

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
All that we are doing is talking about (very cordially by most counts) is what CNS says is still happening and that is a "qb competition."

He could end it at any moment, but he's chosen to let it continue.

It seems the only people who have a problem with this discussion are the one who think CNS should "name a starter" because they believe "Sims has earned it."

Back to the OP's original question: "Do you think Sims seperated himself today?"

I think the only logical answer is "no." Since JC got his first meaningful playing time, he actually has given the staff something to review and coach him up on. I think JC getting valueable playing time and experience actually narrows the gap AND THAT SEEMS WHAT THE COACHES WANT.

Don't mean to sound like a broken record but "why wouldn't we want Coker to improve?" It'll just make Sims and the team better.
I'm not "sold" on either QB. However, I think it needs to be understood and I think CNS has indicated he understands, that Coker needs a little time to get up to speed. That's not only because he's new to our system but the kid's just come off rehabbing a knee and hasn't "played" in a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if Coker's knee has had a psychological impact on how he plays for a while until he regains confidence in his ability to play. We've discussed the psychological impact of knee operations as has CNS on various players over the years. It took a year for Donte Hightower to regain his previous form. It affected Mark Ingram's last year as well.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I know but it's amazing we are averaging like 580 yards of offense and 37 points a game and people are not satisfied with coach Saban or coach kiffen and their decision who plays when and play calls with throwing down the field lol.
37 points a game ranks us 11th in the SEC. Its not bad by any means but 37 ppg is not what it used to be, if that makes sense. Strange that 37 ppg would rank us near the bottom in the conference but that is just how much the game has changed..

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I'm not "sold" on either QB. However, I think it needs to be understood and I think CNS has indicated he understands, that Coker needs a little time to get up to speed. That's not only because he's new to our system but the kid's just come off rehabbing a knee and hasn't "played" in a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if Coker's knee has had a psychological impact on how he plays for a while until he regains confidence in his ability to play. We've discussed the psychological impact of knee operations as has CNS on various players over the years. It took a year for Donte Hightower to regain his previous form. It affected Mark Ingram's last year as well.

Absolutely! Speaking from experience in taking time to trust surgically repaired body parts in everyday life, much less playing sports at a high level. BTW, it makes Eddie Jackson's performance Saturday all that more remarkable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk yuuyyyy

Coach25

1st Team
Sep 1, 2014
37 points a game ranks us 11th in the SEC. Its not bad by any means but 37 ppg is not what it used to be, if that makes sense. Strange that 37 ppg would rank us near the bottom in the conference but that is just how much the game has changed..
It does sound crazy but it is also the style of Alabama football especially under Saban. We are a grind it out ball control offense that's why most teams score way less than season average against alabma than other foes. I doubt we give up 40 or 50 points a game like other teams are averaging for the season. Long scoring drives for our offense and long bend but don't break drives for our defense can keep the total number of possessions for both teams which keeps scores down.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
It does sound crazy but it is also the style of Alabama football especially under Saban. We are a grind it out ball control offense that's why most teams score way less than season average against alabma than other foes. I doubt we give up 40 or 50 points a game like other teams are averaging for the season. Long scoring drives for our offense and long bend but don't break drives for our defense can keep the total number of possessions for both teams which keeps scores down.
^^^^
This! While other SEC teams are giving up double digits to the powerhouse offenses of UAB, Toledo, ECU and San Jose - and oh by the way we only played 3.5 quarters and botched a scoring play on miscommunication. Could have been 50+ easy.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Little early in the season to think those stats mean anything - most every team in the SEC starts the season feasting on cupcakes.

Week 6 or 7 is when we can start looking at team stats and seeing trends.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
^^^^
This! While other SEC teams are giving up double digits to the powerhouse offenses of UAB, Toledo, ECU and San Jose - and oh by the way we only played 3.5 quarters and botched a scoring play on miscommunication. Could have been 50+ easy.
I agree we have probably the best defense in the conference, or will by seasons end. My only rebuttal to your post is that our offense hasn't exactly taken advantage of those weaker defenses as much as we could have i.e. AU last year, aTm the year before. But yea I agree that our defense gives us a much more complete team than most..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Little early in the season to think those stats mean anything - most every team in the SEC starts the season feasting on cupcakes.

Week 6 or 7 is when we can start looking at team stats and seeing trends.
True. Just pointing out offensive stats are a little inflated because of the rule changes and current style of play..

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
True. Just pointing out offensive stats are a little inflated because of the rule changes and current style of play..
I don't know that that's true - even 15 years ago Florida (and teams like them) would regularly hang 70+ points multiple times early in the season playing FCS schools and such.

Not to mention that while Muschamp and Beilema were running up the score on teams, Saban was doing situational work, allowing younger players to gain experience, etc. After scoring 21 in the first quarter, does anyone believe Bama couldn't have scored 70+ on FAU?

There will always be coaches who just destroy these cupcakes, but they massively skew the numbers.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don't know that that's true - even 15 years ago Florida (and teams like them) would regularly hang 70+ points multiple times early in the season playing FCS schools and such.

Not to mention that while Muschamp and Beilema were running up the score on teams, Saban was doing situational work, allowing younger players to gain experience, etc. After scoring 21 in the first quarter, does anyone believe Bama couldn't have scored 70+ on FAU?

There will always be coaches who just destroy these cupcakes, but they massively skew the numbers.
I'm talking about across the board. Yea back in the day Florida would hang 70 on somebody. Now it seems there are 10 teams a week that do that. Like you said though its probably irrelevant to take anything meaningful from stats this early in the season..

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Why "a guy"? Who says? If he is straight forward with the team about what is going on and why, the team can choose to support the program or be selfish and finish 3rd in the SEC ... their choice. I have to believe if CNS thought he had "one guy" that could do the job, we would not be having this conversation.
My opinion. That's what we do on these here message boards, no? Share opinions.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not trying to throw gas on the fire, but according to Andrew Gribble who broke down BS and JC throws:

BS threw 3 passes beyond 10 yards

JC threw 9 passes beyond 10 yards

We noticed the difference in the play calling during the game, but here's more substancial data. JC didn't look as comfortable or fluid (it's true) but he also was asked to throw more difficult passes.

Maybe it won't happen the way some of us would like to see it happen, but I would like to see the play calling be the same for both qb against S. Miss. so we could really compare them.

We can compare the short passes right now because both have done it and we all agree "advantage Sims." It'd be nice to compare both on the longer outs, seem, post, and corner routes now.

Edit: I say this in the context of "CNS choosing one qb" over the "two qb system." If CNS wants to go with the two qb system, I imagine we'll see the play calling remain more like it was against FIU.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Not trying to throw gas on the fire, but according to Andrew Gribble who broke down BS and JC throws:

BS threw 3 passes beyond 10 yards

JC threw 9 passes beyond 10 yards

We noticed the difference in the play calling during the game, but here's more substancial data. JC didn't look as comfortable or fluid (it's true) but he also was asked to throw more difficult passes.

Maybe it won't happen the way some of us would like to see it happen, but I would like to see the play calling be the same for both qb against S. Miss. so we could really compare them.

We can compare the short passes right now because both have done it and we all agree "advantage Sims." It'd be nice to compare both on the longer outs, seem, post, and corner routes now.

Edit: I say this in the context of "CNS choosing one qb" over the "two qb system." If CNS wants to go with the two qb system, I imagine we'll see the play calling remain more like it was against FIU.
Read the same article. I think it also said about half of Sims throws were at or behind the line of scrimmage. As you stated I would like to see somewhat similar play calling for both QBs in the next game as well. Definitely advantage Sims right now on the shorter passes and running the offense faster in general. Next game should be interesting no doubt..

atlbama

2nd Team
Nov 18, 2005
Dunwoody, GA
Keep in mind, we don't know if they were running the "called" play or if it was an audible. The corners for FAU were giving quite a bit of cushion to our receivers. There is a good chance BS called an audible to the screens in order to "take what the D was giving". No idea the answer to this, but worth considering (don't have the time to review the game to see)...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I was wonder if he had the luxury of audibling the play. I wonder some of the plays were Sims decision to audible ? I wonder if that's the factor of not getting touches for henry, Yeldon and others? We did good with our running games.. I really think they used the last two games to work our Qbs in getting them feeling comfortable, but I know we'll see more running game this weekend and howard target.. especially if Jones and white is out this week.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Neither QB is as polished as I would like. Both have made a few mistakes the could be disastrous vs better competition. If I was the head coach, which I certainly am not, I would go with Blake at this point. IMHO, he's earned it.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Keep in mind, we don't know if they were running the "called" play or if it was an audible. The corners for FAU were giving quite a bit of cushion to our receivers. There is a good chance BS called an audible to the screens in order to "take what the D was giving". No idea the answer to this, but worth considering (don't have the time to review the game to see)...
You make a good point. Saban got in rear after he threw the TD pass to Drake for some reason. I have wondered if Blake's unwillingness to do it is part of the reason we haven't seen him throw longer balls.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I didn't see that part. Why would Saban be upset over that? was it a play he called? he threw to wrong Receiver?
You make a good point. Saban got in rear after he threw the TD pass to Drake for some reason. I have wondered if Blake's unwillingness to do it is part of the reason we haven't seen him throw longer balls.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.