Do you think Sims separated himself further today?

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
I'm not crazy about the way Saban is handling the QB competition. Saying “there’s still a competition at QB” and “we haven’t picked a starter yet” is a mistake, IMHO. He should come out and say “Sims is our starter. He’s played really well and we’re pleased with his progress. But we still intend to give Coker lots of playing time. It’s important that he’s ready to take the reins, if necessary, so we’re going to give him meaningful playing time. But Blake’s our starter.” That statement leaves the door open for healthy competition without causing a division on the team. Then, if Sims stumbles, or if Coker starts playing really well, Saban can change things up without looking like he short-changed Sims.
Here's the thing... there's a reason(s) why Saban is handling things this way. Likely it is due to a reason (s) not known by people outside the team. Obviously, it's going to be something that can be adequately explained to any member of the team who approaches him and asks "why don't we go with _______ as our starter?" Otherwise, he would compromise himself as the leader of this team.

As fans, we can gripe all we want about the situation. However, in all honesty a lot of us want a certain comfort level that allows us to start considering the outcome of the season - and an unsettled QB situation doesn't allow us to predict those things with much confidence. However, there IS a reason(s) - and I'm confident that however Saban handles the situation it will be done in such a way that won't threaten the team's well-being. Don't know about anyone else, but I'm grateful that we've got a coach that doesn't listen to masses when it comes to running his team. To many "leaders" in the college game today have started making decisions based on everyone's else's opinions... and when many of them do that, they end up joining those folks in an off-the-field capacity.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Here's the thing... there's a reason(s) why Saban is handling things this way. Likely it is due to a reason (s) not known by people outside the team. Obviously, it's going to be something that can be adequately explained to any member of the team who approaches him and asks "why don't we go with _______ as our starter?" Otherwise, he would compromise himself as the leader of this team.

As fans, we can gripe all we want about the situation. However, in all honesty a lot of us want a certain comfort level that allows us to start considering the outcome of the season - and an unsettled QB situation doesn't allow us to predict those things with much confidence. However, there IS a reason(s) - and I'm confident that however Saban handles the situation it will be done in such a way that won't threaten the team's well-being. Don't know about anyone else, but I'm grateful that we've got a coach that doesn't listen to masses when it comes to running his team. To many "leaders" in the college game today have started making decisions based on everyone's else's opinions... and when many of them do that, they end up joining those folks in an off-the-field capacity.
Also to add to your point, opponents don't know which QB to prepare more for, they have to donate so much practice time to the individual QBs because of the differences in play style. It's like practicing for two different teams basically. Or as I like to elude to the Two headed Snake!

Last edited:

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
As far as the "they played harder for this guy than another", if you were at the game Saturday (and not in the few shady areas) you know the heat/humidity was brutal. You put pads and a helmet on me, my enthusiasm would have waned the longer I stayed out on the field - especially in a game that was decided by the time the second QB entered the game. If someone is convinced there's some division on the team, he/she can easily look at something like this and say "Right there it is!"... when it reality it COULD be something totally different.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
Maybe so but leading Alabama to 3 national titles in 4 years tells me he has enough sense to handle our quarterback situation.
Let's hope so.

/normally I might insert a snarky comment here about leading us to national titles in 3 of 4 years telling me he has enough sense to be able to get the team up for a meaningless exhibition bowl game situation, but I won't do that ;)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
As far as the "they played harder for this guy than another", if you were at the game Saturday (and not in the few shady areas) you know the heat/humidity was brutal. You put pads and a helmet on me, my enthusiasm would have waned the longer I stayed out on the field - especially in a game that was decided by the time the second QB entered the game. If someone is convinced there's some division on the team, he/she can easily look at something like this and say "Right there it is!"... when it reality it COULD be something totally different.
Yea it was ungodly hot. so I see your point with a 1130 kickoff in that mess

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
People - this has become way overblown. We have a starter. His name is Blake Sims. He's a faster runner and a better passer than the QB who led Auburn to the BCSNCG last year. So what is the problem. Why is everyone so infatuated with the idea that we have a QB controversy. It's just not there folks. We have a competent back-up in #18, and #14 and #11 aren't far behind.

This is exactly the reason that fans across the country think we're a bunch of whining spoiled brat fans here at Alabama. We're winning and we still complain about it. Look at our schedule - it's about as easy as it's ever been. Who's going to beat us? We've got more offensive weapons than anyone in the country. As long as they execute the way they should, we have no excuse for losing a game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
People - this has become way overblown. We have a starter. His name is Blake Sims. He's a faster runner and a better passer than the QB who led Auburn to the BCSNCG last year. So what is the problem. Why is everyone so infatuated with the idea that we have a QB controversy. It's just not there folks.
Tell Nick Saban that.

We have a competent back-up in #18, and #14 and #11 aren't far behind.
So, Cooper Bateman is our backup with Coker and Alec Morris not far behind at #3 and #4?

This is exactly the reason that fans across the country think we're a bunch of whining spoiled brat fans here at Alabama. We're winning and we still complain about it. Look at our schedule - it's about as easy as it's ever been. Who's going to beat us? We've got more offensive weapons than anyone in the country. As long as they execute the way they should, we have no excuse for losing a game.
Who is going to beat us? Auburn and LSU can for sure depending on how we play.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Fans across the country think we're a bunch of whining spoiled brat fans because we are having a discussion about the QB competition that is obviously still ongoing?
My bad, i should have said "it's another glaring example of why....." not the only reason.

The point is, when in our history, has Alabama having a superstar QB ever been part of the plan - rarely ever. We need to just play solid football and get over the QB thing. Sims, as it sits today, is good enough for us to win if everyone else is doing their job. Good grief, he has more ability than Jay Barker did in 1992 when we won it all. Now, in 1994, Jay was a solid QB. But in 1992, he wasn't a factor.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Fans across the country think we're a bunch of whining spoiled brat fans because we are having a discussion about the QB competition that is obviously still ongoing?

Weren't you saying in the other thread that the team needs a slice of humble pie?
The slice of humble pie would be that the media ranked us lower based on how we look. Meaning we need to step it up and serve notice that we mean business. Like scoring TD's instead of FG's when we know we can. Eliminate stupid mental mistakes, etc.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Let's hope so.

/normally I might insert a snarky comment here about leading us to national titles in 3 of 4 years telling me he has enough sense to be able to get the team up for a meaningless exhibition bowl game situation, but I won't do that ;)
Why not expound on your concerns/opinion about it instead of taking snarky little shots at CNS like you've been doing for days?

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
People - this has become way overblown. We have a starter. His name is Blake Sims. He's a faster runner and a better passer than the QB who led Auburn to the BCSNCG last year. So what is the problem. Why is everyone so infatuated with the idea that we have a QB controversy. It's just not there folks. We have a competent back-up in #18, and #14 and #11 aren't far behind.

Are kidding me? This is the most exciting discussions we've been able to have since $Cam. There's no way we're not going to go over the top on this. By the way, you're right, of course.

Got to disagree, though, about the reason people around the country think of us. That has more to do with wacknuts like Harvey and that person who shot someone after last year's IB. This debate is just (mostly) harmless fun.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My bad, i should have said "it's another glaring example of why....." not the only reason.

The point is, when in our history, has Alabama having a superstar QB ever been part of the plan - rarely ever. We need to just play solid football and get over the QB thing. Sims, as it sits today, is good enough for us to win if everyone else is doing their job. Good grief, he has more ability than Jay Barker did in 1992 when we won it all. Now, in 1994, Jay was a solid QB. But in 1992, he wasn't a factor.
If Im not mistaken Brodie was a 4 or 5 star Qb with a cannon. Yeah Jp had success with the same player, but it wasnt until 08 where he started to click as a game manager. Brodie was a game breaker that stretched the field.

but I agree we just need a game manager right now, but if we could develop a game breaker out of our 2 then it would be great.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
During the game thread, several seasoned posters said they thought the body language of the team indicated they were playing harder for one qb than the other. I'm not sharp enough to interpret or catch what body language they were noticing, but if that's true no wonder Saban is so testy about who starts.
If the competition is held open as you suggest, until either Coker starts or the season ends, that sounds like a decision that might should be reconsidered.
It was obvious to me during the game that certain players appeared to try harder with one QB in over the other. Commented to the wife about it. I saw receivers breaking off routes and dropping balls that hit them square in the hands. That is bound to happen on occasion, but the body language during and after told the story to me.
I think the play harder for one player over another came from Andre Ware. I saw no proof of that. He was just speculating from when he played. He has no pulse on the heart beat of our team. I do not agree with him. I think when Coker is named the starter (and he will be before the season is over) the team will play just as hard if not harder. I believe that Blake will probably play in every game but I get the sense this is Coker's job to win. I think we can win with either guy for the record and thats all I care about is the W's.

I agree with Mystical. The only thing I see is that Jake at this point plays slower, the team doesn't have the rhythm under coker . Mybe Ware is confusing that with guys not playing hard I also don't understand Andre's other comments during the game. I always liked Andre Ware, as a person, player and as a mid tier analyst. His comments are a little baffling.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

\We don't run Malzahns offense. the QB at Alabama is asked to do different things than the QB in the barnyard.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Blake Sims isn't faster than Nick Marshall. Its not even really close. And saying someone is a better passer than Nick Marshall isn't saying much either. I'm not saying Blake is slow but Nick Marshall is 4.3 40 quick..

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
\We don't run Malzahns offense. the QB at Alabama is asked to do different things than the QB in the barnyard.
Blake Sims isn't faster than Nick Marshall. Its not even really close. And saying someone is a better passer than Nick Marshall isn't saying much either. I'm not saying Blake is slow but Nick Marshall is 4.3 40 quick..
Auburn really doesnt ask Marshall to win by his arm and I think that is going to cost them against us and georgia at the very least on the road.

I think Sims is a better passer but comparing him to marshall doesnt really carry that much weight.

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
Auburn really doesnt ask Marshall to win by his arm and I think that is going to cost them against us and georgia at the very least on the road.

I think Sims is a better passer but comparing him to marshall doesnt really carry that much weight.
I believe JW's comparison of Sims and Marshall was a point about Sim is a better overall QB than Marshall and Marshall took the aubies to the NC game last year, so since Sims seems to be a better overall QB, why can't he take us to it this year.

IMO... Sims is in a no win situation. In some fans eyes, he's going to get blamed for any shortcomings that may happen no matter what.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
According to NFLDraftScouts.Com
Blake Sims: [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]40 Time:[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]4.49[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=-1] 40 Low:[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]4.40[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]40 High:[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]4.58[/SIZE]
Nick Marshal: [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]40 Time:[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]4.48[/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]40 Low:[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]4.38[/SIZE][/SIZE] [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]40 High:[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]4.59

I've seen people say Marshal is significantly faster, and I have to admit I haven't seen him play live. But, I haven't seen any proof that he actually is
[/SIZE]
significantly faster, just conjecture. I've watched both play, and I'm not sure where the argument that Marshal is faster comes from, then again it's not like they have them run the 40 in the game.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.