Do you think Sims separated himself further today?

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Well I get irked when CNS lumps all fans together. Not all Bama fans are Finebaum callers. About 99% of the ones I talk to support both 100% and support the staff's ultimate decision.
The empty can rattles the most, silent majority, the squeaky wheel gets the grease - all that jazz.
The raucous applause and standing ovations for a guy that had never taken a snap in a Crimson uniform probably didn't help matters either.

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I have heard that CNS got very irritated in his postgame presser when some reporters assumed that Sims was now the starter. Take it for FWIW...
But what he does is like telling someone "Don't think pink."

Y'all have questions. It's your job, but don't ask the question most want answered?

As fans we know that is code for "Ask the ques. so I can launch into my agenda I want to get across..." :)

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011
I don't mind the competition continuing for another week. If really like to see Coker get another shot, just so we can see if he just had 1st game jitters. I think this team has more upside with him if he can handle the job. He looks the same against USM? Name Sims the guy and move on.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't mind the competition continuing for another week. If really like to see Coker get another shot, just so we can see if he just had 1st game jitters. I think this team has more upside with him if he can handle the job. He looks the same against USM? Name Sims the guy and move on.
It probably wouldn't be "fair" to Blake Sims, but if the coaches believe Coker has more to offer than BS at the qb position, they need to let Coker play the whole game against USM so he can work out the kinks.

We already know what Sims has to offer. If Coker isn't getting better, Sims is ready to go and we'll have to accept our offense is going to look different than any other time in the CNS era.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have not posted on the subject of who should be our QB and will not, but can say with total confidence that both QBs need to play against USM in order to be ready for UF.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well I get irked when CNS lumps all fans together. Not all Bama fans are Finebaum callers. About 99% of the ones I talk to support both 100% and support the staff's ultimate decision.
That's your imagination. All he said is he didn't care, he didn't say all fans ____.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
It probably wouldn't be "fair" to Blake Sims, but if the coaches believe Coker has more to offer than BS at the qb position, they need to let Coker play the whole game against USM so he can work out the kinks.

We already know what Sims has to offer. If Coker isn't getting better, Sims is ready to go and we'll have to accept our offense is going to look different than any other time in the CNS era.
So Sims, in his 2 career starts, is as good as he is ever going to get, so we should bench him and let Coker work out his kinks? Really?

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
My opinions:

Did Sims separate himself any more? Maybe a little.

Is there still a competition? Absolutely

Is Coker rusty? Yup.

Are the players playing differently for Sims than Coker? I don't see it.

Is Coach Saban irritated by the lack of patience of our fan base? Yup. What's new?

(Just for Sip :smile:)Could either of them make that throw AJ made in the SEC championship game against Georgia? Both of them probably could. He put some air under that ball and Amari ran right under it.

Does Sims have the experience edge? He is acting like it, but here's the rub:
Both of them came in lacking a lot of in game experience. Both of them had to learn a new system. (although Kiffin did say he was trying not to change too much) IMO the edge is mostly the spring. If that was all there is Coker should be up to speed by now if not close.

Is Sims arm strength a real problem? Nope. One thing that it seems people are missing is that while the throws being made are short based on the line of scrimmage, those WR screens are at least 20 yard throws and both of them have enough zip on the ball to get them there quickly. Yes I would rather have Coker in if there was a need for a frozen rope to a deep out, but Sims is throwing well enough for my eye.

One thing that is really encouraging to me is how both of them are handling it. Sims constantly talks about them as a team. Both of them are very honest in their own self assessments of their performances. That may change if one of them firms up the position, but I don't see it.

I appear to be happier than the average Bama fan with how the QB "thing" is going.

Last edited:

bamakeeb

3rd Team
May 2, 2011

You know, I wish everyone could play. But, if Coker does beat Sims out it can't be deemed unfair. He would have every opportunity to have seized the job. I think the coaches are preparing to go with Sims for the season but would really like Coker to step up due to what he can potentially bring to the table. I think that's why Saban said nothing has changed.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My opinions:

Did Sims separate himself any more? Maybe a little.

Is there still a competition? Absolutely

Is Coker rusty? Yup.

Are the players playing differently for Sims than Coker? I don't see it.

Is Coach Saban irritated by the lack of patience of our fan base? Yup. What's new?

(Just for Sip :smile:)Could either of them make that throw AJ made in the SEC championship game against Georgia? Both of them probably could. He put some air under that ball and Amari ran right under it.

Does Sims have the experience edge? He is acting like it, but here's the rub:
Both of them came in lacking a lot of in game experience. Both of them had to learn a new system. (although Kiffin did say he was trying not to change to much) IMO the edge is mostly the spring. If that was all there is Coker should be up to speed by now if not close.

Is Sims arm strength a real problem? Nope. One thing that is seems people are missing is that while the throws being made are short based on the line of scrimmage, those WR screens are at least 20 yard throws and both of them have enough zip on the ball to get them there quickly. Yes I would rather have Coker in if there was a need for a frozen rope to a deep out, but Sims is throwing well enough for my eye.

One thing that is really encouraging to me is how both of them are handling it. Sims constantly talks about them as a team. Both of them are very honest in their own self assessments of their performances. That may change if one of them firms up the position, but I don't see it.

I appear to be happier than the average Bama fan with how the QB "thing" is going.
Pretty much my feeling on the situation.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
One other opinion while I am at it:

I LOVE what Coach Saban has done for Sims. He could have easily given up on him and thrown all of his time in one of the other apparently more talented prospects. When everyone and their dog was looking at what happened during the spring game and thinking Sims didn't have it, he stood firm and correctly said that it was not a fair assessment of his skill set. He saw what Sims could bring and let him do it. Some may say this was a mistake or a waste of time, I think it is a great coach being a great coach.

Last edited:

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
It is a small world. You do not have to live in it particularly long to learn that for yourself. There is a theory that, in the whole world, there are only five hundred real people (the cast, as it were; all the rest of the people in the world, the theory suggests, are extras) and what is more, they all know each other. And it's true, or true as far as it goes. In reality the world is made of thousands upon thousands of groups of about five hundred people, all of whom will spend their lives bumping into each other, trying to avoid each other, and discovering each other in the same unlikely teashop in Vancouver. There is an unavoidability to this process. It's not even coincidence. It's just the way the world works, with no regard for individuals or for propriety.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
So Sims, in his 2 career starts, is as good as he is ever going to get, so we should bench him and let Coker work out his kinks? Really?
All this waiting for Coker's improvement to jump past Sims assumes Sims won't improve while Coker is improving.

The most noticeable improvement we've seen that I'm aware of has been Sims' play the past six months. I think it's not correct to assume he'***** his ceiling while Coker has not.

I'm, looking for both of them to be more than adequate as the season unfolds. With Kiffin's help, they will both be a few notches above what we expect now, in my opinion.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I concur..
If the coaches believe that Sims ceiling is 10 wins and Coker's is a national championship, then yes, really.

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
In Coach Saban? You better believe it. He has earned my respect, just look at his record, his teams graduation rate and his work in the community. No coach since Bryant has done as much for Alabama.
No one would question that. But honestly, graduation rates and community service have nothing to do with who is playing qb. He has my respect as well, but that doesn't mean I don't get to question his decision, or lack thereof in this case. You think he's handling it awesome, I don't. We'll agree to disagree and be none the worse for it.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Uh, yeah. I trust the coaches to put in whomever gives us the best chance to win the game. Whomever is under center gets my unqualified support. And if they both plan to scramble/run like they did Saturday against SEC defenses, we better have a competent quarterback with as much game experience as possible standing on the sidelines, because he's eventually going to be needed, even if only for a series or two.

We have been very spoiled with having our starting qb available for so many games. I don't remember the last time one missed significant snaps. Maybe when AJ was forced in for the closing seconds of the Barn game?

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
No one would question that. But honestly, graduation rates and community service have nothing to do with who is playing qb. He has my respect as well, but that doesn't mean I don't get to question his decision, or lack thereof in this case. You think he's handling it awesome, I don't. We'll agree to disagree and be none the worse for it.
Maybe so but leading Alabama to 3 national titles in 4 years tells me he has enough sense to handle our quarterback situation.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Maybe so but leading Alabama to 3 national titles in 4 years tells me he has enough sense to handle our quarterback situation.

I think people forget who our coach is. They also forget the running backs we have. Or the fact that our offensive line is more important than the QB right now. Or the only way we win the big games..will be based on our defense. The starting QB doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

ETA: we have two capable guys that can start and win for us.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.